RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: For those who tumble powder coating...

Boolit Bub

For those who tumble powder coating...

I've tried several things to keep my bullets from sticking to whatever it is I cure them on in the oven, (wire mesh, galvanized nails, silicone spray) but nothing has worked until now. Dytech Oven Liner (I found it at Menards on sale for <$3). I put the bullets on it, baked them, and they slid off like they were greasy marbles. Even the extra PC blotches came off! I had originally planned to get a silicone baking sheet, but this was less expensive. It says it's re-usable, and I've done 3 batches now and it doesn't seem any worse for wear. Try it, you'll like it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31UReD6lQxL.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Excellent. I was getting ready to try some kind of screen.

Is it like a heavy non-stick aluminum foil?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Is it like a heavy non-stick aluminum foil?
    No. Non-stick aluminum foil didn't work for me either. It looks/feels kind of like plastic, but it's rated to 500°F. Slicker than snot on a wet glass door knob.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I tried that stuff early on with disastrous results............the snot stuck to the doorknob of the oven and made a total mess~~~~~~~! HA........ha.

I haven't seen a Menard's since I left Iowa! But I am going to try to find some of that "snot foil" around the PHX area.

Boolit Master
    Your price was about 1/5 of web prices on this product.

Enjoy your great deal.

i am still looking for a "deal" on a NSAF replacement.

From my engineering experiences, I can say that either teflon or silicon should work like a champ.

However, I went out and priced a 12" x 12" x 1/16" sheet of teflon sheet gasket at $62.75.

Makes me cringe when I think about how much of this stuff has been wasted by mechanics at the power plant where I work.

Then I went out & found something more reasonable

TEFLON Sheet 16x24 Heat Transfer Press Machine T-shirt by world-paper Price: $6.60 & FREE Shipping

My biggest concern is that it is only 0.003" thick. I do not know how durable it would be.

Then I found "Sealer Supply 15" x 18" PTFE Teflon Craft Sheet 5 Mils thick" available cheap, but with shipping charges more than product cost. It can be had for $3 per sq ft plus shipping on the web.

They are selling it as a craft supply. I need to check out all those places my wife likes to go to (AC Moore, Hobby Lobby etc.).

If not available locally, a bulk purchase (group buy style) might be interesting.

In my high school days I worked at McDonalds, the clamshell grill they used for the burgers used a teflon sheet that was on the upper part of the grill. They changed them every week. If they still use those, you could ask for the used ones to experiment with. Just saying.

Boolit Buddy
    I use parchment paper.

Boolit Bub

I've seen a silicone baking mat at Hobby Lobby for about $6 or $7, but since I have this and it's working great, no need to spend the extra $$.

Boolit Buddy
    I finally found two of them at Target yesterday.........Mike

Boolit Man
    Parchment paper works for me

Boolit Bub

BTW, FWIW, this is rated for 500°F. YMMV Size is 15.8"x19.5".
    Last edited by hubcap52; 11-20-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Parchment paper works for me too, but the silicone sheets keep the boolit bases in alignment better because the silicone grips the tray better and the boolit bases better. This extra grip works great for my 45 and 38 caliber pistol boolits.

Taller and lesser caliber boolits will just fall over if the tray is jostled. For those tumbled PC boolits I have found no substitute for a steady hand, which at 68 and with arthritis I seem to no longer possess.

With extreme steadiness NS aluminum foil, parchment paper and silicone sheets all work well.

The silicone sheets I just purchased at Target yesterday are rated up to 500F as well. I think they were $7.99 apiece and they are Wilton brand 10.25''x16''. Marked in inches one side and one end and marked metric the other side and end.

As Banger and others have said, use what works best for you. Some find something that works and stay with that. Others like to continue to experiment.

Both extremes of those groups are well represented here. The staid and steady, to the something new every day, with most falling somewhere in between. Life is great and the participants here sharing their results help keep it that way.

Mike
    Last edited by Spector; 11-14-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sghinds View Post
    I use parchment paper.
    This stuff is the answer.