RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Handi in 22 Hornet 225107 success

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar

Handi in 22 Hornet 225107 success

Just wanted to say that I finally found a load for my 22 Hornet with the NOE 225107 37gn boolit.

I have been playing off and on with this boolit in my Handi rifle. My goal, like many since the 22RF shortage, was find an accurate load to match 22 long rifle ballistics. I succeeded in reaching that goal yesterday, mostly.

I started out last summer using my trusty Lyman cast bullet manual and did not have any success with any of the listed loads. From starting loads to max loads of any of the powders listed, nothing would print less than 1" at fifty yards. I was bummed to say the least. So last week, I decided to make a run at it again. I figured I would start with Red Dot (it was at the top of the list). I proceeded to drop the starting powder charge by .5 grains and work up to the starting load listed of 2.0 grains in .1 grain increments. 5 rounds each from 1.5 to 2.0 were loaded using LLA as lube. Lo and behold, at 1.6 grains, I hit the sweet spot. I printed a CTC <3/8", 5 shot group, 4" low of POI for my full house hornet loads. Everything else printed a pattern 1" or better. I loaded 10 more rounds at 1.6 grns and sure enough the group held making a ragged dime sized hole.

They sure aren't going to set any speed records but they will do just fine for poking the eye out of Mr. Bushy Tail.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds good, I really need to get busy with my Savage 219.

Robert

Banned

My Savage 219 liked 1.8 grains of Bullseye best but was squirrel head accurate at 25 yards with anywhere between 1.5 and 2.0 grains with several bullets. I like the 45 grain WFN NOE bullet best (plain base) but have shot Bators and 225438 with no gas checks with good results.

Boolit Master
    I use 2.5 grs of Bullseye in my 218 Bee with the 225107 NOE boolit .Dime size groups at 65 yards with a Encore 22 inch barrel.

I will try to post the target picture.

Wow! Sorry it copied so big.

Nice shooting and congrats on the load. I worked up (actually down) a load for my 222 Handi Rifle that turns it into a light 22mag. So far all I've used it on was a single red squirrel.

Boolit Master
    Great shooting.I have a Ruger 77 in 22 hornet I want to cast some boolits for.right now I shoot 40 gr nosler BT with win.296 at around 2800fps I would have to find my notes for the charge of 296.it has been some time ago that the load was worked up.it took alot of time to get this load I ended up with a long seating length that will not fit in the clip of the 77.I do know know if any different seating depths were tried for your loads.I found the hornet to be very touchy on the seating length.but once the sweet spot was found man does it shoot great.I am hopeing to have good luck getting a good cast load for the 77.dont need a speedster just a good shooting load.So I been watching the threads on the hornet for a while I have no mold yet but do have a sizer and some GCs for it.So the NOE 225107 and the 45gr are in my notes.

Boolit Buddy
    I to have a mid 90's handi hornet that I bought for the same reason you did. I also bought the same NOE 225107 37 gr. mold. You did a great job working up the load finding the sweet spot. I reamed mine to a k-hornet because the brass holds up longer when reloading. Glad to see others who share my interest. Rick!!!!!!!!!