Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alberta Canada double zero buck

Thumbs up Alberta Canada double zero buck

I took this buck on Saturday with my new Winchester SXP Waterfowl 12ga, modified choke and a Federal 3" 00 Buck shotshell. I shot him at 25 yards and he ran about 20yds. I was quite impressed with how the buckshot performed, it turned his heart and lungs into a sloshy mess.

Banned

Where I grew up in S.C., OO buckshot seemed the weapon of choice for deer (very thick cover, a lot of guys hunted in drives held by clubs). I've personally never killed one with a shotgun. Buckshot isn't legal where I live now, are you required to use a shotgun there?

Nice buck, by the way. Our rut is on right now and I've been bowhunting. Seen a lot of smaller bucks, none have the swollen neck and shoulders like yours for some reason.

Funny you ask, there is zero requirement to use a shotgun where I was hunting. In fact when I put the same pic up on a forum here everyone was quite surprised that I used one. The only restrictions are calibers less than .24 and no use of non expanding bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice deer
    big body on that rascal
    whats that white stuff
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I have shot 2 with 3in 00 buck, each about 25 yards. Neither was a good kill. One broke both front legs. the other broke one front leg and the spine so that the back legs would not function. I had to chase both down and kill with a shot to the head. I patterned that gun on cardboard after the second one. Big holes in the pattern. It shot no 6 shot fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings Huntsman and Congratulations !
    Nice buck ! At 25 years 00 would be a good choice and apparently you 12 likes it a lot ! Never have fired on a corn cruncher with 00. Well you sure chose the right combination that day.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Congrats, nice buck!

Vendor Sponsor

I never shoot buckshot. Yes it will kill deer but you gotta consider that you are shooting a handful of .33 caliber round balls, hardly what I would consider as a hunting projectile, the only advantage is that there are 15 of them in a 3" shell. Lots of room for error, lots of wounded deer lost, I took an old doe once that had 3 different sizes of buckshot and a broadhead in her legs, all old wounds healed up, I'm sure she hurt like hell as many times as she had been shot.

Personally I want to know within the size of a tennis ball where on the deer my boolit is going to hit or I don't need to be shooting.

A good slug gun will cloverleaf a playing card @ 100yds with a box of walmart Foster slugs, why would anybody want to use buckshot when groups like this are typical with a decent slug gun? I don't get it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

A lot of the deer I have killed have been within 25 yards. I would think, though I'm not much of a shotgunner and have never patterned extensively to find out, that 00 would be devastating at 25 yards. Like anything else, a guy has to understand his capabilities and limitations then work within them. Looks like Huntsman did just that.

What kind of gun are you getting playing card sized groups with at 100 yards with Fosters? I have shot a few different smoothbore slug guns, the most accurate of which is an Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer in 16 gauge, but it won't do that every time even at 50 (open sights).

Just curious, did any/most/all the 00 pellets go all the way through or stay in the deer?

Boolit Grand Master
    whatever he shot it with makes no difference
    he made the kill all the same
    the end result we all hope for
    no need to criticize the methods he chooses
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Buckshot is great for short ranges where a quick shot is needed. Loads for a shotgun are as important as they are for a rifle or pistol. I started loading shotgun first and found out some loads gave great patterns in my gun and others did not. The one and only 12 gauge that I own does not like factory 3 in magnums. One day I may find a buckshot load that it does. Good kill.
    I have a niece and nephew that live up your way in Sherwood forest. They have several moose but very few deer come to their pond.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    What kind of gun are you getting playing card sized groups with at 100 yards with Fosters?
    Mossy 500A rifled barrel the one with the scope base soldered to it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Hey thanks guys. Ya I had 100% confidence that I'd nail that deer or any deer that went passed me. I did some scouting previous to the hunt and after taking several laser range shots from different distances my furthest shot would've been 28 yds. Having patterned my load to 20,30 and 40 I knew it was a lethal kill zone. I'm heading out tomorrow evening with the same setup in hopes to fill my 2nd tag. All the best on your hunt(s)this fall.

Boolit Master
    My H +R full choked liked 4 buck (buck shot only) allowed in N J at the time . I had some success 43 at the time with that gun , I do not remember a lot of cripples just meals with meat!

farmerjim, I would like to know what your setup was... barrel length, choke? bead sight? I would have no qualms shooting a deer with 00 at 25-35 yards in my 28" mossy 500 with a full choke, almost sounds like you were using a more open choke size? am I correct in guessing that?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Vendor Sponsor
    If buckshot is no good for hunting deer, why is it called buckshot? I have heard rabbits referred to as bucks and does but no one would hunt rabbits with buckshot. Seems to me that buckshot is specifically for deer hunting.

Banned

Kansas won't let us use buck shot on deer, but I've killed quite a few with rifles and crossbow that would have ben easy take downs with a shotgun.

I like rifles, they are what I shoot mostly, but in the grand scheme, a 12 gauge is the most versatile type of firearm a guy can own.

Ive killed a couple with buckshot and it is lethal , the right choke and patterning the load is key .My 870 shoots 00 buck good with Mod. choke and even better with an Imp.- Mod. choke . Huntsman that is a fine buck .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    my winny pump 12 with imp cyl 3" and 00 has stopped a lot of deer over the years normally within 4 good jumps more than a dozen drd (neck shot at close range 10yds less from stand) we where mandated to use buck shot (urban area) Lost only one in all those years

Boolit Master
    by the way very nice buck huntsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast