RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alberta Canada double zero buck

Quote Originally Posted by fingers284 View Post
    Is that a Sask jubilee 94. I had one of those and the **** chamber was to tight to allow seating anything larger than .375 and the bore slugged at .377 wouldn't group worth a dang...sure is cool around here these days isn't it (-37 at my place this am), too **** cold for shooting anyways...
    That’s the Alberta Diamond Jubilee model 94 with Williams FP sight.
    I’m shooting the Hornady 220gr FN out of her.
    Just left gods country yesterday and visiting family here in Saskatchistan

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Are you saying no solids as in no lead boolits or are they just wanting FMJ's out of the picture?

That's a nice deer, congrats
    Thank you.
    No what I meant was here in Alberta (western Canada) there is no specific shotgun only areas or seasons. In most Wildlife Management Units the firearm hunting season for big game starts November 1st. Archery starts September 1st to October 31st.
    So for November it’s generally rifle rifle rifle, one can use muzzleloader or shotgun if they choose but most (except me ) use there rifle. Crossbow in Alberta is only allowed during rifle season.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Happy Holidays

Boolit Grand Master

The "no use of non-expanding bullets" is what caught my eye. It sounded to me like they wanted Hollow Points, Poly Tipped etc. Stuff designed to expand unlike FMJ's or ball.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

richhodg66,
    True, but it is more true with buckshot than anything else. I don't know of any weapon system that is as misunderstood by as many people.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    The "no use of non-expanding bullets" is what caught my eye. It sounded to me like they wanted Hollow Points, Poly Tipped etc. Stuff designed to expand unlike FMJ's or ball.
    The local hunting regs. we have is somewhat vague in their definition of "non-expanding". For years it did mean FMJ (read that to mean military surp) was not allowed for hunting and that thought is still in general use however as in all things with an internet following there have been a few "Definition Nazi's" trying to stir the pot and claim a strict reading of the def. would include any hard cast as well as a # of the newfangled single composition gilded metal offerings on the market. Their reasoning is that if they are driven at anything less that top-end velocity (something we ,as handloaders sometimes do LOL) that they wont expand.

I have to say, with my own experience with a dozen or so deer shot with hard cast that the exit hole from a slowly pushed slug will either be the same size as the entrance hole or will be key-hole shaped from a tumbling bullet...either way it is always a complete pass through at ranges from 75-245 yrds...I will also say that not one of those deer went more than 4 or 5 jumps after the impact.

Obviously, the smaller a bullet is, the more it is dependent on bullet expansion for making, clean humane kills. I never liked loads that blow the whole shoulder of a deed to scrap. I recall a deer I once killed with a .537 cal. patched RB. It couldn't have been more precisely placed in the center of the heart if I had used a micrometer caliper but the deer ran about 50 yds.. The appropriate solid doesn't always kill instantly but it invariably kills reliably with proper bullet placement. A pure lead projectile is said to be cohesive & doesn't fragment. Sam Fadala writes in his book, "Black Powder Loading Manual", "I have shot clear through elk, bison, & big mule deer etc. , with round balls of the 50-to 54- caliber class----". He also states that the idea that the round ball achieves less penetration at higher velocities (black powder velocities) than lower speeds, "seems to be false based on my own field experience". This is only valid for pure lead projectiles at BP velocities but it's something to think about.

In Remembrance
    Growing up in East Texas buckshot was king, I don't think I ever saw a rifle in the woods back then.
    it seemed most old timers used a single shot too, there were some pumps and doubles, but I just remember a lot of them having singles.
    I have an old stevens single shot with the fullest choke I think I have ever seen, IT will not shoot 00 buck period, it scatters it right out the end of the barrel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123