Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 BPCR barrel length and rear sight recommendation

Boolit Master

I very much appreciate the valuable input from those who have been there and done that with these grand single shot rifles with 28" round bbl or 34" heavy octagon, along with rear mounted tang sights. My reason for asking the questions was to see what those experienced in shooting these rifles were doing. I think we have had some valuable input. As stated in the OP I knew there was no pat answer to the question and ultimately it must be decided by the one doing the ordering. I have very little real world experience on this type of single shot rifle and desire to not make a mistake in ordering the various options available if given good input from those in the know. I have made several decisions on the purchase and have taken the input here as a guide. Just so you you know, the rifle will be configured in the following ways: C. Sharps, 1874 Bridgeport Sporting Rifle, 45-70, 30" Heavy octagon bbl, semi-fancy stock, pistol-grip stock with steel checkered butt-plate, cheek rest with accent line, Schnabel type forearm, double set trigger, deluxe mid-range tang sight, buck-horn rear barrel sight, globe with .025" post front sight. That is what I have decided would be a good 70th birthday present for me. It should be here along about the first part of January. This has been a bucket list item for a couple of years and if I don't do it soon I won't get to enjoy it. Many thanks to all for your input in this process.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    That sounds like a darn fine rifle.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Glad you decided on what you wanted. Let us know when it comes in and how it shoots!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12