Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Venison and GMO corn

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Thanks for sharing your methodology.

The issue then is still the stuff in the corn, for those who are concerned over that.
    What "stuff" are you referring to? Stuff being such a technical term and all. Do you mean starch and oil?
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Every thing we eat is composed of chemicals and most of those listed occur naturally in nature anyway.

What a joke.

But as always do as one wishes.

Just don't put misinformation out there for others to follow.
    jcwit, you, perhaps better than others, certainly understand that the chemicals found in nature, just like the chemicals in the pharmaceuticals that keep you alive are only safe if consumed in known and controlled amounts or dosages.

I try to take in generous amounts of anti-oxidants. However, some known sources of anti-oxidants such as blueberries, carrots, beets and especially spinach and rhubarb also have quite a bit of oxalic acid in them. Oxalic acid works in concert with (binds with) calcium in the intestines to produce crystals that collect in the kidneys to form "stones". I'm one of those unfortunate individuals who is prone to these "calcium stones".
    I watch my intake of berries, plums, carrots and certain leafy greens. I just plain don't eat spinach, chard or beets.

It's fine that many, if not most of these chemicals found in GMOs are also found in nature. As long as the levels duplicate nature and there are no other chemicals that may react (like a bad drug interaction) badly with those "naturally occurring" in the plant.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by StolzerandSons View Post
    That's why I posted the actual CFR so there wouldn't be any misinformation about what is and is not allowed to be used on products that are labeld "organic".
    It's not a study, a blog, a magazine or an opinion, it is the exact regulations that the Gov't(USDA, FDA, Alphabet soup, et. al.) uses for "organic" products for the publics consumtion.

I didn't make any comment on whether those things listed were good or bad, I posted factual information from the source that regulates the industry. You can take away from those lists whatever you want to believe but they are not a joke or misinformation they are the facts straight from the source.
    What a joke, wasn't directed at you or what you posted.

It's a joke, folks get all wrapped up in this "organic" issue at all.

People are eating what's available to them whether it be in the city or in the country, people are going to the Dr's for health issues and getting shots to keep from getting sick. Thousands upon thousands are getting killed by drunk drivers and those using cell phones.

And all the while the avg. age of people is twice as long as it was 100 years ago.

YUP! We got a lot to worry about GMO crops and GMO fed deer. We got a lot to worry about organic crops and organic fed deer.

It's a joke!

I agree with you Stolzerandsons. I think?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    jcwit, you, perhaps better than others, certainly understand that the chemicals found in nature, just like the chemicals in the pharmaceuticals that keep you alive are only safe if consumed in known and controlled amounts or dosages.

I try to take in generous amounts of anti-oxidants. However, some known sources of anti-oxidants such as blueberries, carrots, beets and especially spinach and rhubarb also have quite a bit of oxalic acid in them. Oxalic acid works in concert with (binds with) calcium in the intestines to produce crystals that collect in the kidneys to form "stones". I'm one of those unfortunate individuals who is prone to these "calcium stones".
    I watch my intake of berries, plums, carrots and certain leafy greens. I just plain don't eat spinach, chard or beets.

It's fine that many, if not most of these chemicals found in GMOs are also found in nature. As long as the levels duplicate nature and there are no other chemicals that may react (like a bad drug interaction) badly with those "naturally occurring" in the plant.
    Right you are!

What's the old saying? All things in moderation?

Boolit Master
    Right you are!

Except for vintage shootin' irons.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

There are exceptions to make the rule true.

What a joke, wasn't directed at you or what you posted.
    I agree with you Stolzerandsons. I think?
    My bad, unfortunately that is one of the disadvantages with this form of communication it's hard to tell exactly who is speaking to who during any given point in the discussion.

Wow that's a rare occurence, usually I'm fairly disagreeable according to my wife. haha.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

True on all forums, we have no way of seeing facial expressions, tone of voice and all the other ways we communicate.

Take care, and have a good one.

I'll toss this tidbit out here fyi.
    I have central nervous system damage from handling herbicide when I was a kid. The granules we used to load into planter mounted boxes to spread on the rows. Bags were light so a youngster could lift them while the big boys lifted the forty pound seed bags in. Respirators were supposed to be in use but I never in my life saw anyone use one. It's my opinion things are much better now on both ends of the food chain. Producer and consumer.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

GMO 'activists' like global warming bots need a real religion with a real prophet. Remember al gore promised us that NYC would be underwater by 2013.

GMO "science": Someday it may.......................

Right you are!

So tell me how do you know what moderation is. By what someone tells you? BAH!

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I'll toss this tidbit out here fyi.
    I have central nervous system damage from handling herbicide when I was a kid. The granules we used to load into planter mounted boxes to spread on the rows. Bags were light so a youngster could lift them while the big boys lifted the forty pound seed bags in. Respirators were supposed to be in use but I never in my life saw anyone use one. It's my opinion things are much better now on both ends of the food chain. Producer and consumer.
    Bet those "scientists" back in the day said those pesticides were totally safe. Just wear a mask and all will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    GMO 'activists' like global warming bots need a real religion with a real prophet. Remember al gore promised us that NYC would be underwater by 2013.

GMO "science": Someday it may.......................
    Yes and what is a flip is the same people want us to drive fart powered cars. with roundup we don't have to run a cultivator plow through the filed. That was days on end on a tractor burning five gallons per hour of fuel. So where is the global warming crowd? Tractors tend to leak about a quart of hydraulic fluid per hour also. I'm no tree hugger but no more than about 101% of tree huggers about our ecology. Shucks I even have a college degree in the field. Unlike Al Gore. Tractors are better for the ecology the less we need to use them. Just like cars. Fuel burn is one issue. Then the six digit price tag for a new tractor. Lightest tractor I run down row crop weighs over ten thousand pounds. It's an old John Deere 4010. Then we have a 29 thousand pound tractor. Soil compression under those wheels cuts down on yield. Yield equals food in someone's belly. Do we need to find a better way to produce food. Well obviously as we always have that need. Thousands of hard working very intelligent Agronomist are doing just that. I personally know a few of them and don't think any of them consider themselves to be working for some evil empire. Frankly that would be about as far from reality as I can imagine. Totally upside down. I have worked with soy bean Agronomist from the U of I before. It was simply about breading beans resistant to blight. That's it. end of story. Sorry if that is boring but that's all there was to it. Being dumb *** country boys we were pretty excited about another ten bushels per acre. Like in feeding another half billion people every year. Dint' realize I was just a big *** hole Orwellian monster.

Quote Originally Posted by xdmalder View Post
    So tell me how do you know what moderation is. By what someone tells you? BAH!
    Please point out where I said that or even implied it, you tell us what moderation is being as you claim to know it all!

Bet those "scientists" back in the day said those pesticides were totally safe. Just wear a mask and all will be alright.
    No they did not, I remember reading the labels back in the 50's & 60's when I was young and invincible.

For that matter I also remember playing with lead & mercury.

Correct but my father and Grandfather were such tight wads they did not want to pay money for the mask. Warnings were large on every bag. Big issue was when you burned the bags. Later they came out with brand name lock and load with plastic containers you twist locked onto the frame then recycled back to distributor. There are actually fewer warnings on herbicides now than back then. Worst national issue we have now is residential use of chemicals by non trained people. EPA actually list that as the worst water way runoff issue. Believe it or not. Farmers generally know more about what they are doing. Maybe since we are talking about around $470 an acre to put in a crop. We have a few weeds in our fields. Just find one in a McMansion yard. I'll get all on board with you on that drum beat. If you want to campaign you need to edjumacate yourself on the real dangers.

Moderator Emeritus

My lawn is more weeds than grass and I don't care! I get one of my first salads of the year from the weeds!

Boolit Master
    Bottom line is, like any other business, Monsanto and other biotech companies' first priority is to show the highest profit possible. Just as the banking and insurance industries have more influence over gov't than do the voters, so does the biotech industry. Therefore, the government's priorities do not include your well-being either.
    Just as your defense is your responsibility, your health is also your responsibility.

Just as you would be foolish to trust the government, you'd also be foolish to trust a company who must put profits above the health of people who are several rungs down the consumer chain from their actual clients.

A company would be remiss in not putting profits first. You would be remiss in not putting your health first.

67 years ago, while pregnant with my sister, my mother was given a drug which had been in use for several years to prevent miscarriage. My sister was born with an orthopedic abnormality. 20 years after her birth, it was revealed that many of the children born to women who were given this drug were born with orthopedic abnormalities. My sister still suffers from the side effect of a drug administered to her mother.

For me, the most rational choice is, to the greatest extent practical and possible, wait another decade or two and see if those who have chosen to trust the studies conducted by and/or funded by Monsanto, have thrived and they and their offspring have suffered no abnormalities.
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 11-17-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: grammar

- Thomas Jefferson

They are still not safe! THAT"S WHY GMO crops were developed. To make food production safer and to reduce harmful pesticide runoff from fields.

BTW Recent studies show that there is far more pesticide and phosphorus runoff from some city rainwater systems than from farm fields. City folks evidently don't pay much attention to application rates.
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master
    At the prices of these new chemicals you don't use more than the label. Actiguard $270.00 for 7 1/2 oz, Nimitz $1,600.00 a 2 1/2 gal jug.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast