Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMR SR4759 worth getting?

Boolit Buddy

IMR SR4759 worth getting?

Hello,

I know that IMR SR4759 was discontinued. I found a source that has about 5 - 1lb containers available. Would this powder be worth getting for cast bullet loads for 7.62x54r, 30-06, 303 British, 8mm, and similar cartridges?

From what I have read, about 15gr of SR4759 for a 185gr cast bullet works well.

I have been using 2400. But came across references that SR4759 works very well.

Thanks,
    Nick

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, it works very well for reduced loads. I'm very glad I bought the quantity I did.

Boolit Master

Every time I've ever used it, I've been very pleased with the result. But as I like keeping a bare minimum of different powders, I never made it powder I keep on hand.

IMO, if you are short on 2400 and the price of the SR4759 is right, I'd suggest buying it. I know I would.

Boolit Master
    Five pounds of 4759 would be enough to at least develop a database of loads for the cartridges you want to try it in. Then you could keep an eye out for any more that turns up.

I know I glom onto any quantity I come across any time I find it.

The discontinuance of 4759 is right up there with the introduction of New Coke in the pantheon of worst marketing decisions ever.

Boolit Grand Master

This will be the second time SR4759 has been dropped. Requests for it made IMR bring it back.

I use 18 or 19grs in those same cartridges and they are very acurate with no ignition or position problems.

Boolit Master
    By all means buy it! If I stumbled onto a stash in a store, it would end up in my car in about a minute. Luckily I have something over 10 pounds stashed, but I'm dreading the day I use the last of it.

I bought two eight pounders a year or so ago. Still have about 15 lbs left. Love it in .308 and 45-70
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Buy it, Buy it, buy it. at whatever price.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input everyone. Will see what I can do. Hopefully will be able to get it all.

The odd thing about the powder being discontinued is that it is still listed on IMR's website.

It will be for quite some time ,even no w 20 years on accurate has data for the original data powder 2200 ,even better they finally added new manufactured of the same name ( sans the word "data" )
    I too went without lunch for a heap o long time to get all I could before 4759 was gone,even worse... Many of the so called accuracy loads in the newest Lyman cast manual list it as "the powder"
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    They just got a new shipment of Tail Boss. Now I have to make a decision. Hmm...

Boolit Master
    If you don't want it, buy it and swap it to someone who does
    USMC 6638

Super Moderator

..............Years ago when surplus powders were much more common I bought 16 lbs of what was labeled 'Surplus IMR 4198'. Beginning testing proved it MUCH slower then the real IMR-4198 I had on hand. In fact it was very similar to IMR-3031. Awhile after that Bartlett listed Surplus IMR-4759 (6 lb jugs).

Having been disappointed with the so called Surplus IMR-4198 (not that it was't usable), just wasn't anything like IMR-4198. So I ordered a single 6lb jug of the Surp 4759 to fool with, along with some other stuff. Turned out that the Surplus 4759 WAS in fact the same as canister SR-4759 I immediately called him up and ordered 4 x 6lb jugs of it. Since I can no longer shoot every Tuesday, I suspect I have enough to last the remainder of my shooting career.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

or you could just bring back burrito tuesday!
    Charter Member #148

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    or you could just bring back burrito tuesday!
    ...............I'd STILL be shooting every Tuesday with the gang if a developer hadn't shut the range down! Serves him right though. He and his outfit went bankrupt not long afterwards. What goes around comes around!

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    SR4759 is certainly an excellent cast bullet rifle powder. Like many others, I've used it for years. However, I suspect some serious load development and fine-tuning using Reloder 7, AA5744, one of the 4198s, or perhaps other similar powders will yield equivalent accuracy and velocity in most, if not all applications.

Boolit Master
    I'd buy it! I'm working on my last 5 lb jug of IMR 4759. Hopefully, IMR/Hodgdon will bring it backdue to demand. Have any of you seen the recent price on AA5744? Out here it is about $34.00/lb at Cabelas!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    working on a trade deal to pick it up.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked it all up yesterday.

Boolit Master
    I think it is done, I have not seen it for sale lately.