Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First muzzleloader?

First muzzleloader?

Hey guys. I'm looking into buying my first muzzleloader. Looks like a lot of fun. I know I want to go with a traditional cap lock rifle. I mainly would like to shoot round balls. What brand would you guys recommend? I was looking at traditions. I'm looking to spend around $350. If I have to get it used that's ok too. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Wait until after hunting season is over, then start looking in the pawnshops. I have gotten a T/C Renegade for $175 and a T/C New Englander for $100, both .54 caliber.

Good Luck, and don't forget to put the powder in first,

Robert

Boolit Master
    Agree with above, T/C side lock for sure!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Nothing wrong with used Thompsons. I have only bought a couple new, but several used ones. Quality built and can be great shooters.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Banned
    The investarms (lyman or Cabelas) are also very good guns to be had resonable at times.my great plains was $200.my buddy just got a .54 trade rifle for $150.

Perma-Banned
    you can get a Lyman Deerstalker or Lyman Trade Rifle new-in-box from Midsouth Shooters Supply for $379.00 for either one. I am a big fan of T/C's and the Lyman's are every bit as good.

Boolit Master
    I just picked up a T C Hawken for $160.00 and it is a heck of a shooter.
    50 yards, with Round balls and Pyrodex all three shots touching.
    I also found a Barrel and stock to build another for $120.00

What do you guys think of the traditions hawken or Kentucky rifle?

Boolit Master
    There not bad. If I had to chose between there Kentucky or Hawken, I would go with the Hawken.
    The Kentucky is a two peace stock. But if I were you I would shop the pawn shops for a Thomson Center.
    You should be able to get one around $250. They are a very well made muzzle loader.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I say watch the twist rate of whatever barrel you look at.
    Patched round balls prefer a slow twist, and conicals need fast twist.
    Some modern makers go to fast twist barrels
    A .45 or .50 round ball twist is 1:66 or 70".
    A conical twist is 1:28, 1:36".
    I got a .50 1:48" and it doesnt like balls nor conicals very well, it is a lousy in between twist.

Boolit Master
    I have to agree with kens about the "In Between" 1 in 48 twist.
    You just have to find the right powder charge for a Ball Load,and another for the Slug load.
    And those will be the only two loads you can reliably use in the Mid Twist barrel for consistent accuracy.
    But if you use R B and a slow twist, you can load Low to high with reasonable accuracy threw the whole range of loads.
    Same with the Fast Twist, and the slugs or Sabots, it will shoot more consistent, threw all loads either High or Low.
    I have had T/C's with a 1/48 twist, and am very pleased with their accuracy with both Balls and Slugs.
    But if the slug load that is accurate is a low charge, I surely wouldn't want to try and hunt with it.
    But it is nice to have the combination twist for your first rifle, and you won't be limited to either Ball or Slugs.
    I will be ordering a second barrel for my Lyman Great Plains in the fast twist for hunting rather than take the T/C and have to rely on an sub standard Load with slugs or Sabots.

Banned

I have excellent accuracy with a 1/48 twist TC Hawken and a round ball with 80 to 90 grains of BP.

I agree with MK42 Gunner. Pick up a slide-in bore light and shop after deer season. Lots of never abused TC's. My first ml is a Lyman Great Plains, but have TC Hawkens, favorite 'tree stand gun' is a New Englander. Flyer

Boolit Master
    I did look at the Traditions Hawken Kits for a friend who might want to get into ML rifles.
    They weren't too bad, and and I have seen them shoot very well.
    My friend wants me to teach him how to put the Kit together, in a Professional Manor so it doesn't look like it was done by a beginner.
    Fit and Finish makes the difference, but has little to do with the accuracy on a ML

Since you want to get a capgun, don't get sucked-in by the allure of the pre-formed powder pellets (they're tough for a sidehammer to ignite), or any BP substitute (Pyrodex, 777, etc) for that matter - I would suggest using loose powder charges, of Holy Black preferably (FFg or FFFg can be used).

Boolit Master
    If your thinking Kit guns, I would look at Lyman kits. Lyman makes the best traditional mass produced
    kit out there. I love mine.
    Fly

Perma-Banned
    if you end up with a mass-produced gun with the industry standard 1 in 48 twist you will be well served by it. I've owned & shot dozens of T/C guns in caliber from 45 to 58 with that twist & every one of them would shoot better than I can with either maxi-balls or roundballs. my favorite 54cal Renegade would shoot three-shot cloverleafs all day long at 75yds with either projectile.

I agree with bubba.50. My T/C 50 cal 1:48 is one of the best shooting guns I have ever owned with hunting loads of either prb or the Lee REAL 250 gr sighted in at 75 yards.

I have been looking at the t/c hawken now.My main question is why are they being sold for so cheap? On midway it said they were being sold for $780 before being discontinued. In seeing them used for $200. Thanks for the advice!

Boolit Buddy

I have both the T/C Renegade and Hawken in 54 cal. I found the patched round balls shoot extremely accurate. Seems the price of a good used T/C Hawken fluctuates from one location to another. I've seen used ones selling anywhere from $200 - $400. If your finding one that's in great condition for $200, that sounds like a heck of buy to me. I bought my Hawken used from an estate sale and paid $350.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast