Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone else want a 147 GC 9mm HP?

I understand why some may want the design in the OP, as several others had posted orders already. However, without dimensional sketches, specifications, or range reports with load data specific for the 9mm I hope you can understand why most anyone would be hesitant to honcho a design blindfolded.

While the MP 125 HP and the 147 GCHP design are kissing cousins, I have spent considerable time experimenting and measuring seating depth, chamber bulge for variety of case headstamps, bnd proportions, and COAL to fit within SAAMI specifications for 9mm which the magazines and firearms are engineered. For reference, I'm using a Glock 19 9mm factory barrel (known for tighter chamber dimensions in the 9mm caliber than competing 9mm pistol manufacturers)

The Lyman design is from the beginning bevel based, and designed to be seated deeply as such. One cannot simply change the bevel base for a gas check, stretch the OAL to hit 147gr with a sufficient hollowpoint depth and width without changing the design entirely, or intending the projectile for different calibers. The thread title suggests the mold is 9mm specific, and I would assume most posters are expecting a design that was intended for the 9mm cartridge.
    In my eyes, without a redesign from the ground up for a GC base in a max weight for caliber 9mm, you're juggling the following issues:
    1. case bulge that impedes proper chambering
    2. COAL that will not feed from magazines
    3. bullet profile that fails to feed in all firearms or jams into lands of a barrel with tight throat.
    4. living with a purely cosmetic HP, or a 147gr FP

The longer top band affords the reloader variable seating depth in relation to chamber/throat dimensions. With a seating depth of .25" you have a COAL of 1.14", under 1.16" saami max for 9mm. Just how much deeper you can seat depends on your individual chamber, load workup, head stamp, sizing dies and case expanders. Generally I found .25" to be the sweet spot that allows to adjust for longer or shorter COAL, with Federal, blazer, winchester, pmc brass allowing seating .27" below case rim without bulging( 1.12 OAL) , Tulammo, A USA, GFL, and S&B exhibiting more bulge at a seating depth deeper than .26" (1.13 OAL)
    I should add I use a 38 S&W Lee case expander that reaches a bit deeper down into the 9mm case taper to prevent swaging down the base when seating PB bullets.

Lube grooves have been changed from the previous steep X design to traditional 30 degree angles, serving to protect bands and improve bullet release/fillout from the mold. I've experienced more than a few broken or deformed skirts on my 125gr bullets when I drop them too frosty. Serves an extra function to pack in extra lead, necessary when we work within tight parameters.

By working out seating depth, max OAL, and driving band proportions it was possible to work a larger HP cavity into the 147gr HP than the 125gr HP, and I also wager that using softer non wheel weight alloy we would be able to get away with using a larger HP pin for better expansion at 147gr subsonic velocities. By having a real HP on the 147gr version, it leaves the possibility open to play with the heavier 156 GC'd FP in a 9mm case with enough room for powder(please work up loads carefully) or crimp over the front driving band for 38/357 caliber revolvers, as in the 125gr HP (135gr FP) MP design.

Although I considered a larger meplat & changing ogive radius, I chose the MP 125 ogive & meplat, knowing the profile feeds very well at a longer OAL and carries a lot of lead outside the case to help balance the projectile, 147gr needing to be driven hard for stability, this is an all around benefit and good design.

My apologies for the long post, I felt it germane to include information regarding why I chose these design features, and apologize for not explaining earlier how it differs from the original, I can see how it would be easy to mistake this for a simple modification, given it's similarity to the design that inspired it and subtle changes for the chosen application.
    Having said that, we all stand on the shoulders of giants that have paved the way for us, and there's a reason certain profiles look, use, or borrow similar features from previously well established designs, in order to push the envelope just that little bit further without compromising the intended goal.

I look forward to your feedback, ideas, and suggestions.
    Have a great week, and thank you for your time and interest.

~z

zubrato_359-147_142_gr_Sketch.bmp
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zubrato_359-147_HPGC.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	160950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zubrato_359-147_HPGC_136_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	160951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zubrato_359-147_HPGC_136_gr.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	160952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zubrato_359-147_HPGC_150_gr.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	160953
    Last edited by zubrato; 02-15-2016 at 03:46 AM.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Banned

Not much I could add. I consider this to be a great feature:
    "The longer top band affords the reloader variable seating depth in relation to chamber/throat dimensions."
    I hope that others will provide specific input if they are serious about getting this into active. I really like this as it provides variable weights from around 135 to 155 and with the max HP and a 135 grain weight, it should get some serious expansion.

Thumbs up

You had me at deep hollow point.

Thanks for taking the time to explain how trade offs in mold features and how that affects boolit design. I like the variety this mold can create. Count me in on this one.

Boolit Mold

Ok looks like you made just what I was looking for the 151fp pb with 145 an 134 hp pins , if I use a 50/50 mix or something softer/heavier I may get a 147/135 hp perfect 9mm and if I use a harder/lighter alloy maybe a 149gr fp . I must have one ! The powder I have says to get 1000fps a 147gr XTP pressure is 32,900 so the 153fp gc with 147 an 136 hp pins is also on my must have to be safe . My ? 's are the pics show a 142gr and 143gr hp is that the final weight or a step in the design , ether way it works for me . My only concern is [ play with the heavier 156 GC'd FP ] I know its only 3 grs bigger but is that across the whole range ? Answer A: Shut-up an buy them. B: Even if the 156gr drops on the heavy side an you use pure/heavy lead everything will be fine . C: To Big To Fail

The weight of the bullets will vary with alloy composition as you mentioned.
    The diagrams do not include the GC weight , which is about 4 grains for a copper GC, and even lighter for aluminum GC.

The gas checked/lubricated weights of the bullets should be 136gr w/ deep HP, 147gr w/ HP, and 156gr FP with wheelweight alloy. Plain Base should come out to about the same or a grain under the gas checked ready to load bullets. Pin dimensions can be changed to reflect what alloy most users would be using for the bullets.

I'm not too concerned about the FP weight as I feel it could be made to work, only wanted to advise caution working up loads due to lack of loading data. That would be the physical limit of what the 9mm is able to fit safely in the case with enough room for powder.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Banned

Why don't we get this over on the active sub-forum and see if we can get 20 plus. I say it will happen easily. Thanks for your hard work on this.

I'll second that. Thank you for your time and hard work.
    I would love to see this one spring to life on my bench!

Boolit Man
    I might be in for a two cavity HP. What price are we talking and which mfg? NOE or Mehec? They're both great molds.

Banned

This is MiHec. Let's get this active.

Banned

where is everyone. only 3 takers on the active group buy section?????

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    where is everyone. only 3 takers on the active group buy section?????
    I can't find the sign-up page. Would you please post a link?
    thanks, jeff

I will post the design and sign up in the active group buy page later today.

Stay tuned
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

We have MiHec's blessing, and we need 20 orders to get this on the machines.
    the group buy has moved to Active GB forum & prices are up along with all drawings & sketch dimensions

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mm-147gr-GC-HP

Please post orders in the Gb thread, it will be easier to keep orders straight without checking two threads.

Thank you for your patience & interest in the design, it's moving and I'll do what I can as honcho to keep momentum up to get this in your hands sooner!
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

I haven't checked on this in a while because I made my own, I signed up in the GB thread, It's nice to have bullet options.

Boolit Mold
    I'm definitely interested

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Is this a second group buy for this mold? I've already received my mold from MiHec. Please take me off of this list.
    Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123