Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else want a 147 GC 9mm HP?

Anyone else want a 147 GC 9mm HP?

Some time ago I wanted a 147 grain 9mm HP mold with a GC, I couldn't find one so I had to make one. I took a Lyman 124 grain Devastator HP mold and machined the beveled base straight to accept a GC. With a 16:1 alloy and a GC crimped on it, comes pretty close, 143 grains I believe, and I have changed the HP pin slightly to get right on 147 grain. I can shoot this bullet up to +P pressure levels with no leading or stripping.

I still want a 4 cavity of this bullet, How many others might be interested in such a bullet? I have purchased the brass to build my own mold, but lack the time right now to machine it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Devestator.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	152777

I do.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    Assuming we are talking 9 mm Luger, I guess I just don't see the need for a heavy weight 9 mm hollow point bullet with a gas check, since it takes velocity for a HP to expand and velocity is the reason that a gas check. I can understand wanting a light weight HP bullet with a gas check to drive fast. Can you explain your reasoning?

9mm is a high pressure round, compared to some others. It's not just velocity that can cause leading/accuracy issues, but pressure. I have been loading/shooting 9mm to NATO/+P pressures for 20 years. Even with a properly sized bullet I was having some accuracy issues with the soft HP alloy. Adding the GC solved the issue. I possibly could have also solved the issue by going up in diameter another .001, but I chose to do it this way.

I also shoot a 147 grain solid boolit at full power, using the Lyman #2 alloy there is no issue so no GC is necessary, but that alloy is not suitable for hollow points.
    Last edited by iraiam; 11-21-2015 at 04:07 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how making the bevel base 9mm devastator mold a gas check base increased the weight from 124 grains to 143 grains. What kind of voodoo is this?

That weight was from memory, between machining the base, modifying the HP pin and installing a GC it weighs 147 grains without lube, not to mention the fact that it dropped them heavy to begin with when using a proper HP alloy. It's no hocus-pocus.

I can't take credit for the Idea, this was duplicated from information posted on a shooting/casting forum a few years ago, possibly this one, I can't remember.
    Last edited by iraiam; 11-21-2015 at 04:44 PM.

OK, my memory was a little off, I found the original HP pin which I believe is unmodified. I cast a few with another batch of hollow points I was running. It weighs 137 grains as dropped out of the mold with the original pin, + a 3 grain copper GC is 140 grains before the HP modification, it only took 7 grains worth of HP pin modification to get me there, the modified hollow point is different enough to see with the naked eye, but 7 grains ain't much at 16:1.

It's also likely I made the new HP pin when I started shooting this bullet at about 1125 fps to keep the weight up at 16:1 lead/tin. I have used this same mold in the past with 24:1 and 20:1 lead/tin alloy and fired it at lower velocities.

Vendor Sponsor

I can make it
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

I may be interested in it depending on the drawing.

Boolit Master
    The same projectile could also be used in 9mm Largo or .38 Super, both of which tend to develop higher velocities than the 9x19. When I read or hear "9mm projectile", my first thought is "a projectile intended for use in 9x19mm", but then (depending on coffee intake), it usually occurs to me that there are other pistol cartridges with nominal bore diameters the same as, or close to the 9x19.

Boolit Master
    From what is pictured I do not have a 9mm that would allow a bullet loaded that long in the throat. pushing the bullet to the proper OAL would probably cause bulging at the taper.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    From what is pictured I do not have a 9mm that would allow a bullet loaded that long in the throat. pushing the bullet to the proper OAL would probably cause bulging at the taper.
    I load this bullet in all of my 9mm caliber pistols, granted, it takes unique case sizing techniques on some of them to get that soft of a bullet down to the proper OAL. The same case sizing technique I use to get a 147 grin FMJ down to the correct OAL without causing that annoying ring on the case taper. The 9mm parabellum taper is slightly modified but it has never caused any issue over many thousands of rounds in several different pistols.

At any rate this thread is moot now anyway as I have decided to just make my own. After a couple tries, I successfully made a cherry out of O-1 tool steel and made a 2 cavity aluminum HP mold, I sent the cherry to a local tool maker to have it professionally made and finished. I'll be cutting my own brass mold soon enough.

It seems to me this boolit would work well in 38 Super/9X23 and variants as well. Just yesterday I received a 6 cavity .358-147BB 9mm mold from Miha. A 147 gr Hollow Point gas check sounds like a good Idea to me. I assume Miha would make this in 2 or 4 cavity brass.

Yes, it does work well in 38 SA, 9x23, 357 SIG, a little tricky in 9mm Para (+p), but only minor hurdles.

Boolit Master

See 358-155-TC RG4 cavity PB (ELCO) at NOE's website. It weighs 147 gr in HP configuration.

I got in on the design and original GB for it.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1911

Banned

Id be interested if it went 147 as a solid and around 130 with a big hp.

Boolit Buddy
    I like Lloyds idea the best. Mihec can draw something up if we get enough people on board.

Banned

I'm in for a gas check 147 grain with HP and FP pins.

Boolit Master
    I might be interested in this mold if it comes online, 2 cav AL if poss.

Banned

how many do you need to commit to make a run? my choice would be a 2 cav brass with large hp, small hp and flat pins.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    I can make it
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-08-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast