RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Long Island NY

Moving to Long Island NY

Being reassigned to a job in Northport NY (Long Island). What are their gun laws? I'm AD military.

Boolit Master

Nothing but BAD
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy

Let me be the second to offer sympathy over your loss of gun rights.....
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Master

Very bad for anyone who considers the 2nd Amendment a valid right. And forget about a CCW. No one gets one in southern NY unless you have $$$$$$

Pistol permits are nearly non-existent and pistols have to be "imported" into the state through a NY gun dealer after you get the permit...Oh, did I tell you the permits are hard to get...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    If possible, do not take your guns into NY at all -- stash them with someone out of state.

DO NOT under any circumstances take a pistol or revolver there unless/until you go through their entire registration and permit process -- even owning them there is illegal until that is done. Expect getting a permit to possess to take upwards of 6 months. ALL AR type guns cannot be legally imported by you. If you do take anything in, under a new law should you die, THE STATE will immediately confiscate ALL of your guns and your survivors will NOT ever have access to them even under inheritance in a will.

They are simply draconian and downstate is even worse about things than in the hill-country backwoods towns.

Just as I suspected. I have hand guns, and long guns no AR type guns. So I guess shooting and reloading is done for a while. Looks like my toys will take up Maine residency for 4 years. I've never lived without a gun in my house, ever!

Boolit Master

Can you swing living in CT and commuting to work?

Boolit Master
    I lived in Huntington LI one town over for 13 years and in other towns in LI most of my life, There is not many ranges or places to shoot.The pistol permit are target and hunting only renewed every 5 years not sure what the wait is . Long guns don't need a permit in LI just drivers lisence NY or coarse. I moved upstate 12 years ago much better great gun clubs and life time pistol permits.

If I had to live there I would figure it was worth the hassle to get daddy to let me have "something" even if just a shotgun or two. There is a reason both Calif. and New York are on my list of place I will not vacation or go to voluntarily.

Hope the job is either worth it or a stepping stone to better pastures.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    Can you swing living in CT and commuting to work?
    Is CT really that much better than NY?!?

The ferry every day would be SOME dedication!
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    One positive are the gun shops you are moving to the gold coast of the country there is more money there than any were else in the country there are many gun shops full of high end pistols and long guns.

Banned

Wow, what a disaster. Connecticut blows, but there is a military exception. I'd be on that ferry.
    http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/sl...s_06192013.pdf

Banned
    Handguns are a problem in New York State in general, although up-state is a bit better in terms of permits. Handgun permits on Long Island are not easy to obtain and Brooklyn and Queens are under NYC control. Nassau and Suffolk counties are not in NYC but aren't much better. New York is a May Issue state, so you must provide a reason to apply for a handgun permit and if you want to actually carry said handgun you'd better have a very compelling reason.
    If this isn't going to be a long assignment, my advice would be to store your handguns and "assault" rifles outside the state until you're re-located.

The odds of getting an actual CCW permit are slim and the process is long. The penalties are felonies so don't play the odds.

I have friends and associates that are both current and former residents of Long Island and it is decidedly not gun friendly. Nassau and Suffolk are slightly better than NYC but not by much.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 11-06-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Boolit Bub
    All I will say is do notttttttt get caught with a pistol in Brooklyn ,Queen,Staten Island or Manhattan you will have a trip to Rikers Island an a year to think about it . Leave your firearm with a family member you can trust.

Boolit Master

Is there any way at all you could get your orders redacted to another location?
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I live in yonkers NY. you will be able to Get a Carry permit for Target &
    hunting. for New york state Only Not to be carried in Nyc. . You can Get a Target permit for Nyc. Must be in a case to and from Range.. Yes there are Indoor ranges in NYC. The weight for a permit is appox 2 months. You must Join a club in order to get a permit @ first. this is for the Pistol course and There Letter. Counties Up state don't care . but On the island and westchester . That is the way
    Your Good to go for all Rifles and shot guns In any county in the state. but again Not in NYC. The good part about your move a lot of Gun clubs On the island and westchester and Pa .also Good gun shows every week. . quick trip to PA. plenty of stuff to Buy
    Just bring Money
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

In Remembrance
    This thread brings back two didtinct memories.
    The first one was probably forty years ago, when a friend stated, It is amaing what a guy will do for a living. lol I would say he was correct.
    The other was probably 20 or more years ago. A guy and his wife was moving from Long Island to Albq, New Mexico. He broke down with his pickup and left it for me to fix, along with 2 harleys to store, while him and his wife went on to Albq in their van and got settled.
    He called me the next day and asked if I could tell him some other part of the state he could find work, ther was no way he was going to live there. I ask what was wrong, thinking he had wound up on the wrong side of the tracks. lol TOO MANY PEOPLE AND MALLS was his answer.
    I got a huge chuckle out of this, and said you are moving from New York and have a problem with Albq. lol
    Apparently at least part of Long Island is, or was very rural, he had lived on a farm, where he could do mostly what he wanted, but it sold to build a subdivision, which was the reason for the move. lol

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    The other was probably 20 or more years ago. A guy and his wife was moving from Long Island to Albq, New Mexico. He broke down with his pickup and left it for me to fix, along with 2 harleys to store, while him and his wife went on to Albq in their van and got settled.
    He called me the next day and asked if I could tell him some other part of the state he could find work, ther was no way he was going to live there. I ask what was wrong, thinking he had wound up on the wrong side of the tracks. lol TOO MANY PEOPLE AND MALLS was his answer.
    I got a huge chuckle out of this, and said you are moving from New York and have a problem with Albq. lol
    Apparently at least part of Long Island is, or was very rural, he had lived on a farm, where he could do mostly what he wanted, but it sold to build a subdivision, which was the reason for the move. lol
    I left Long Island 25 years ago. Out East was very rural and there were many farms. Many of you would be shocked how rural it was in the 60s. The state is New York. The state is NOT New York City. Long Island is not NYC and Upstate is not Long Island. Each area has a unique culture. It is a shame that upstate is maligned by the actions of Albany/NYC and is not reflective of the folk in the rural counties (the bulk of the state.)

Coming from Maine I would be more concerned about the type of snow fall. NY does have hoops to jump through and BS (and TAXES) but being a firearms enthusiast is far from impossible.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    I escaped from Hempsted long Island ny 20 years ago. Much better where I live now. Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast