Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Long Island NY

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I live in yonkers NY. you will be able to Get a Carry permit for Target &
    hunting. for New york state Only Not to be carried in Nyc. . You can Get a Target permit for Nyc. Must be in a case to and from Range.. Yes there are Indoor ranges in NYC. The weight for a permit is appox 2 months. You must Join a club in order to get a permit @ first. this is for the Pistol course and There Letter. Counties Up state don't care . but On the island and westchester . That is the way
    Your Good to go for all Rifles and shot guns In any county in the state. but again Not in NYC. The good part about your move a lot of Gun clubs On the island and westchester and Pa .also Good gun shows every week. . quick trip to PA. plenty of stuff to Buy
    Just bring Money
    Sal
    Great Information here. Also, check in with the NY R&P Association and local gun clubs. Plenty of Pistol permit holders on LI but not so much in NYC. Concealed carry is VERY rare unless affiliated with LEO/ agency. If you happen to be Active Duty and an Officer under orders, you may fall under special rules.

Many NYS shooters are military, active and reserve, and LEO's active and retired, so the company should be good. Weekly indoor competition and frequent CMP Excellence In Competition matches. Dutchess county has monthly "Precision" Pistol Matches (formerly Conventional Pistol). If you are in Northport, the Gold Coast reference is accurate, and you are about 30 miles from the Riverhead range near the former Grumman field (they test drove the F-14 there). They had monthly outdoor matches and shotgun, rifle and running boar there many years ago, and may still.

Born and raised in upstate (Binghamton) area, obtained my CCW from Chenango County Sheriff a long time ago, then found that Suffolk County would not recognize that NYS issued document. Left the state in 1991, but return to the in-laws periodically, and even shoot there competitively occasionally since 2001.

Good Luck, and thank you for your continued service.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

I'll stick with my new job. It's a command cadre position which took 3 attempts to get. Definitely not commuting from CT. Looks like the long guns I have are legal to have. Not sure I'll bother with all the BS hoops to have my pistols instate. Thanks for all the assistance!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    I'll stick with my new job. It's a command cadre position which took 3 attempts to get. Definitely not commuting from CT. Looks like the long guns I have are legal to have. Not sure I'll bother with all the BS hoops to have my pistols instate. Thanks for all the assistance!
    When you choose to piss on an electric fence, you really can't complain that it shocks you.

I suspect that most of us would choose to either not go to NY or if forced to go there, just refuse to play by their obviously unconstitutional rules.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    Sounds like a good solution.

Boolit Master
    If it's a temp thing leave the hand guns out state. Here in Erie county , (buffalo 30min away ) it's about a 12-18mo wate and will end up costing 500 bucks when ur all done. From what I hear anything down s state ,Ie NYC and LI is way worse. Too bad we can't cut em off and make them the 51st state

Boolit Buddy
    Given that it took 6 months to get my ccw in a pro-gun area of rural NY 40 years ago (applications, state-police fingerprinting and investigation back then and now with additional laws and hoops to jump through) I suggest that a "2 month" downstate wait sounds a lot optimistic. I pass to current residents on whether long-guns are now also registered, but I do believe they are. My bet is your tour of duty may well advanced before you really get to do much with the the busy-gun-club thing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    just refuse to play by their obviously unconstitutional rules.
    VERY POOR advice! Don't take my word for it just google "gun arrest at trade center site" or at airport. is it worth spending at minimum a few days in jail $1000s in legal fees all to end up having your handgun destroyed and finally accepting a plea deal?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    VERY POOR advice! Don't take my word for it just google "gun arrest at trade center site" or at airport. is it worth spending at minimum a few days in jail $1000s in legal fees all to end up having your handgun destroyed and finally accepting a plea deal?
    Apparently I thought so the times I have had to go there, I have always lived by the saying that I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    For someone raised in Texas and spent 99 percent of my life there or points further west, moving to NY, even upstste would be comparable to a prison sentance, at least in my case. But I can say that about a few other states too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Well, I *did* give two choices. You failed to quote the other one. I know what *I* have done when I had the misfortune to have to go to NYC. Let's just say that my definition of "acceptably concealed" is quite a bit different there than it is here. Getting a firearm *into* NYC is easy. Getting a firearm *out of* NYC when you are flying can be problematic when you check the firearm with your luggage. The gate agents will call the Port Authority on you. Doesn't make sense. They want to get rid of guns in the city and you are actually *helping* them by taking it out, so why should they complain? A better alternative is to disassemble the firearm and ship it to yourself back home via UPS.

Boolit Master
    At first blush. I would think... heck NO!!! Stay away from New York.
    But if you must go and leave your fire arms at your REAL home..
    Please be sure to make the best of it.
    If there 4 years get on the voting rolls and vote to help the cause. Then also sell to every one you meet.
    Change one person, they may just change two. We need all the help we can get.
    If nothing else we need to keep that stuff bottled up in New York.

Boolit Master
    To look on the bright side the resteraunts and fishing are great some of the best schools in the country !

I lived in CA to assignments ago so I'm used to temporary sacrifices

Banned
    The taxes are high, it's not very gun friendly and the Long Island Expressway is a special kind of hell BUT the north shore of Long Island isn't a bad place to spend a few years.
    The weather is generally good; not too hot in the summer and the ocean moderates the winters. Long Island sound has a lot to offer. Find a friend with a boat (never buy a boat! find a friend with a boat!! ), fish, hike, explore the history, enjoy the towns, explore the beaches.
    NYC is a short ride away on the Long Island Railroad. The ability to travel to NYC for the day without a car is the best way to see the city. No hotels needed, no parking woes and you can be home at the end of the day. Cheap, easy and low stress.

I wouldn't want to buy a house and retire to Long Island but a few years in a rental on the North Shore would actually be a fun opportunity. There are worse places to be sent to !

Make the best of it and you'll have a great life experience to take with you.

Boolit Master

The OP used the term "command cadre". As far as I know, that's a USCG term. Assuming that the rules for them are not that much different than the military, it is often not advantageous to switch your residency to a new state just because you are stationed there. If you do, then you get stuck paying that state's income tax. Sure, you then get to vote in that state's elections, but you are likely just a drop in the bucket trying to counter the liberal bias for that state. Is it worth paying money to that state and thus supporting their liberal tendencies? Sure, there's property taxes, but back in my day, I don't remember home ownership being that common in the military. Usually, you were either in the barracks or if married, you likely had base housing. That might have just been my perception though since I didn't really have any dealings with officers or senior enlisted personnel on a personal basis.

Banned
    Considering that there is a USCG station at Eaton's Neck Point near Northport / Huntington Bay, I'd say that's a safe bet as to where the OP is heading.

Gun laws / taxes / traffic aside, That's not a bad place to be stationed for a few years.

Boolit Master

I was never stationed down there but there used to be quite a few CG stations. My area of the St. Lawrence seaway was chock full of stations too but the 7 stations are down to one AD and one reserve. All the remote island ones are gone and the ATON/Lighthouse ones are shut down.

Rockaway had one, I think our agency stored a boat there. Then there were island military bases but they might have all been closed and sold off for development by politically connected hacks to make money off of.

OH, and yes, never change your residency to NY except maybe if you're from CA, which taxwise is NY's near twin. Also keep your cars registered in your home of record state. NY fees are quite high. Do not assimilate!

Boolit Master

About 6-7 years ago there was a case in NY where a coastie was arrested for possessing an unregistered personal Ruger 9mm handgun. I don't remember all the details and he may have engaged in some poor judgement to bring attention to himself. Anyways the part I do remember is he beat the rap (but seriously took the ride). Technically he fell under NY's LE exemptions as he did perform boat boardings etc in a LE capacity. The judge overturned his conviction on appeal IIRC. (memory is fuzzy). There are also certain mil exemptions but the .mil does not at all support that argument unless of course it's their M9 and ammo used for official purposes. I actually think it's funny that NY put all the exemptions for the military in NY firearms law, no spit Sherlock, pretty presumptuous of them.

Boolit Master
    You'll have the time of your life. Learn some martial arts. Don't live in constant paranoia.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Buddy
    I grew up in Centerport right around Northport,Huntington, Greenlawn in the 60's. It is nothing like it was. My father took his handguns to NC because they wanted him to surrender them to get them registered. He wasn't having that. As soon as his job permitted we were back on the more gun friendly side of the Mason Dixon line.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Suo Gan View Post
    You'll have the time of your life. Learn some martial arts. Don't live in constant paranoia.
    The only paranoia that you need to have is of the jackbooted LEOs that refuse to acknowledge the 2nd Amendment. They are no better than the criminals as far as I'm concerned (and they deserve the same treatment).

The problem is though that they don't wear a sign that says, "I'm a jackbooted LEO who doesn't support the Constitution, so feel free to shoot me".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast