Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .40 to .41?

Boolit Mold

.40 to .41?

I have a mould for 180 gr .40 cal for my pistol and would like to paper patch them to .41 for my revolver. Has anyone done this and do you have load data. I would appreciate any suggestions. I figure 2 wraps with .0025 thick paper should be fine, but could use some help with what kind of paper to use. I have not done any patching before.

Thanks in advance

Boolit Buddy
    we sold tons of bullets and only a handful ever did what you are suggesting-
    BUT we did hard cast back then and those boys DID NOT like that alloy - so 1 in 20 would be a good start for that -
    Paper?? man I would think info on that would not be hard to find...I'v been out it THAT part of bullets for too too long- for some reason Rice paper sticks in my head BUT please don't take that info to heart, it may not be worth a thing with out doing some research 1st.

Just checked 'My Source '- RICE PAPER would be great 1st choice and a great 2nd would be High grade linen based paper made at the correct BOND weight that you need....
    Man hd to reach back 30+ years to find and pull out that info from the 'OLD' Days...1975/77-?? Dad used to be big into black powder guns and paper patching...I remember sitting there watching him do that before a big shoot

did you check out the other posts/ threads on paper patching the B.P. bullets?? same concept just another powder --with smoke
    Last edited by Littleton Shot Maker; 11-05-2015 at 12:14 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for replying Alan. I did check the other posts and at first found several differing opinions from different resources, but then discovered the in-depth sticky on paper here. Awesome information. I will try to find what I need and go for it. If I get time again I will post some results of what I learned.

Boolit Master
    Greetings, Littlehud! There's no good reason your idea wouldn't work. Most patched boolits are started out close to bore diameter and patched up as needed to get the desired finish diameter. I patch mine with two wraps of .004 paper to .413-.414 with the paper I use and run them through a sizer to get .410. I had a large lot of .401 diameter 10mm's I patched up to .410 and tumble-lubed with LLA for use in a .41 Mag and they work well. The load data I used was out of the Lee load book and worked up to full power for that weight of cast boolit, and the usual pressure indicators are less than with jacketed of the same weight. You don't mention what cartridge you intend to patch these for, so I can't help you with specific load data.