Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Which powder for .223 Ruger Mini 14 1996 1:7 twist heavy bullet

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • BLC (2)

19 52.78%
  • 8208 XBR

6 16.67%

8 22.22%

4 11.11%
  • H110

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Powder for Heavy .223 Mini-14

Artful,
    Thanks for the excellent pictures describing the process for checking the stretch down at the case head from the inside.

You are 100% correct. Cases could be only fired 2x (once OEM, once as reman) or they could have been reloaded until the prior reloader thought it was time to anneal em or pitch em.

The couple I checked for how well they took a new primer were encouraging, primer was a snug fit which sort of indicates not reloaded a whole bunch of times but... I figure it takes less time to check inside with a bent & sharpened wire than it does to get a stuck case out of the barrel, or bits of powder and case out of ones face.

Picked up a good size pile of them at decent price with most having original primer so I can tolerate a few junkers as long as I find them up front. Maybe 650 cnt in a shoe box are reman, rest fill a 5 gallon bucket to the brim. I named that bucket Hillary, I thought about calling it Jerry Brown. Have another one I call Congress I'm going to need a few hundred more to fill. I like to think these will last me awhile.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Funny thing about the primer fit - I've had once fired that didn't want to work with one brand and worked fine with another - I've had 38 special cases reloaded over 50 times and primer was still tight due to lower pressure loading and good quality brass - I've had high power rifle loads not make it beyond 3rd reload, due to weak brass.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Well tried BLC (2) and while it worked I think I experienced temperature sensitivity. Was full sun on a hot day (80* F) on the firing line. Ammo got hot, no difference in the Varget but the BLC(2) seemed like it was really sharp and stout recoil/muzzle blast despite being on the low side of published load data. Not horrible on accuracy but nothing special either. I also tried some 4895 and it seemed ok. Varget in the 24 - 25 grain range still seems the best performer with a 70 gr PC bullet with GC.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    CFE-223 first, then maybe W748. When my son asked me to find the best load for his Mini-14 CFE-223 did best of all the ones I tried.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I picked 4064, since it was the closest thing to H4895 that on your list of choices. I seem to recall that H335 was one of the original powders used in the 5.56x45mm/AR-15 combination. I think it might be a bit fast burning to get best velocities with projectiles over 62gr. I've found Varget to perform well in various cartridges, and had nice results with it in my Mini-14.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Are these going to be loaded mag length or Long and single loaded ? I used both Varget and Reloader 15 with 75 grn Hornadies at mag length for 200 and 300yds. Both powders with 80 grn JLKs for 600yds these were loaded long and single loaded in my At match rifle. I experimented with Reloader 12 but didn't get the accuracy performance I did with the other 2.

Boolit Master

My personal choices for jacketed bullets are Tac, 2230, 8208, H322, 748 and Varget. Be careful of lot changes in 8208. For 77 on up I prefer H322 and 8208 and Varget as a last resort cause the long grains and compressed loads. I've taken these three out to 900. If ya can, scrounge those Wolff SRM (5.56) primers and pair them up with H322. Consistantly low SD.
    Last edited by Greg S; 10-20-2017 at 10:56 PM.

I had good luck with my 1-7 BREN 805 and 75gr TAP bullets over IMR 3031.

Boolit Grand Master

In bolt gun Win 748 gave me the highest velocity with acceptable pressure and 70 gr Speer when compared to 335-blc2- 844 and 846
    Charter Member #148

Banned

I've always liked 748 better. I believe many of us have heard they were the same powder, but from what I have read is that 748 was a better grade. Too bad Winchester powders aren't made by them anymore. I'm not totally satisfied with the WW powders that Hodgdons runs.

Banned

I got this from ADI in Australia today. Now we know some on what exactly ADI is making for Hodgdon. This is for swheeler and other of course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADI.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	206725

Boolit Grand Master

Yes I knew that. Have loaded or load everything there except Benchmark and 8208xbr from Hodgdon
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Vote for blc2 but prefer tac .like fine powders that meter well and not having to compress powder to get near max loads.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123