Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Which powder for .223 Ruger Mini 14 1996 1:7 twist heavy bullet

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • BLC (2)

19 52.78%
  • 8208 XBR

6 16.67%

8 22.22%

4 11.11%
  • H110

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Powder for Heavy .223 Mini-14

Which Powder for Heavy .223 Mini-14

So which of these powders would you pick for .223 Remington in a Ruger Mini-14 1996 1:7 twist using a heavy bullet?
    Want to start with jacketed 75 gr. and eventually get an NOE mold in the 60 - 70 gr. range.

If you have a known good load with the powder you vote for by all means post it. If it is within published safe load range I may well give it a try.

Rifle range is harder for me to get to so the better I choose my test loads based on your input the sooner I'll have something I can use to load up a batch.

I have the powders listed available and if one is especially good for this I can pick up more when I get a chance.

Thanks for your input.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Varget is the proven powder for those jacketed bullets in the .223.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    X-Terminator.............formulated and made exclusively for 223 loads! I love it. Not 30's . Not other stuff. Just 223's.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Varget is the proven powder for those jacketed bullets in the .223.

Larry Gibson
    Would 4064 be an equivalent to Varget? Any idea how well the loads will cross over to same weight in cast and PC'd ?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Banned

not H-110 the others would get the bullet down the barrel.

Boolit Master

Varget, first last and only answer. In mini and any other flavor of .223, may not be the speed demon of the pack but accurate consistent and can be downloaded a bit. As you are close I'd let ya get some Varget from me, pay it back when ya find some.

Reloader 15 & Win 748

Banned
    Varget but with a Mini it won't matter

Boolit Master

Varget is good, great velocity/accuracy potntial but kinda frustrating in the metering department. Also have had good results with 8208 (just watch the lot changes) and H322 in AR15s and bolt guns with 75-80s. I would recommend Wolf SRM (5.56) primers as they seem to have lower ES and harder cups.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    X-Terminator.............formulated and made exclusively for 223 loads! I love it. Not 30's . Not other stuff. Just 223's.
    Some reading indicates that X-T is A2230 which is listed by ADI as equivalent to BLC(2). Lot of hops around the internet there but I bought the BLC(2) because it was supposed to be designed for .223 and similar auto loaders.

nagantguy that is a very nice offer. Appreciate it. Might be lucky and find some at the gun show. Saw some Varget there last month, did not pick it up because I had a pound of 4064 I had not actually tried yet to know if it worked or didn't work so thought it was premature to buy another flavor. I should know can't have too many flavors... as long as you have enough primers that is.

Boolit Master

If you can't find any, it's been rare the past few years, offer still stands. I'm accurizing a mini right now my self, refinished the stock, polished everything, cut a new crown just needs to be pcd and cooked.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Would 4064 be an equivalent to Varget? Any idea how well the loads will cross over to same weight in cast and PC'd ?
    Major problem with 4064 in the .223 case is getting those long kernels to throw uniform charges and go through the neck smoothly with out "damming". Using 4064 usually does neither in the smaller caliber, especially on a progressive press. Varget will also give much better load density than 4064. My bolt action match load under 60 gr HPs and 62/64 SPs for hunting is 26 Varget. Under the 69 and 75 gr MKs I use 25.5 gr Varget. Those are top end loads and are still under the PMAP for the 5.56 NATO cartridge and definitely should be worked up to, especially in gas guns.

Weight for weight in the .308W Varget is a tudge slower burning than 4064 under 168 and 175 MKs. With the 175 MK in W-W cases 42.5 gr i4064 is about max. With Varget 45 gr is about max and with more fps. I have measured the psi's of both in a M70 Target with an Oehler m43.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

If you do some searching on the forum here on recent heavy bullet 223 Rem loads you'll find that MiHec did two runs of molds for 69 and 75gr bullets. I'm at my office so the exact load data isn't at the top of my head but I got good results using IMR4831 in a 1-7" WOA barreled AR15 in my 69gr mold.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...gr-but-oh-well!
    Last edited by bruce drake; 11-05-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added link
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I use RL-15 with 65&69 grain jacketed bullets. It's an excellent powder. I don't know how it would work with cast loads though. I haven't ventured into cast with the .223 yet.

Motor

I've replaced H-Varget and RL-15 with Alliant AR-Comp. At first because it's what I could get. Now I like it.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

gabby, what load recipe you running? I have ar comp for my ar10s and 700 308's but never tried any in my 15's or 700 223's

Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    gabby, what load recipe you running? I have ar comp for my ar10s and 700 308's but never tried any in my 15's or 700 223's
    Run the loads off the Alliant web page downloaded book. I stick with SAMI pressure level loads for 223 in the AR’s. With 55 grain bullets the charge just does fit without compression. I have a three or four inch drop tube on my measure. Also been loading Sierra 69 and 65 grain bullets with AR-Comp. Using CCI-450 primers.
    For my carbine and fifty grain bullets. I use AA LT-32. Still have a couple pounds of H-Benchmark and if I ever get around to it. I’ll see which powder pushes Sierra 53gr MK’s best. I’ve an AR and bolt rifle with 1:12” twist barrels then two 9” twist AR’s and an 8” twist. SAMI chambers NATO chambers and one Wylde chamber. Make attempt to keep brass separated in labeled coffee cans. It can be a mess so saying I’ve found the perfect load is fuzzy. Had great accuracy for years with H-Varget in the bolt gun but never got the velocity published. RL-15 showed very high 95 E.S. from the single pound can I had. That isn’t common as it’s popular for HP Match but it did not work for me with light bullets and Fed primers. Maybe needs a hotter primers as the Federal is the lightest heat of the bunch. Varget was also dirty as was H-335. I like TAC better than H-335 and AR-Comp better than Varget or RL-15. I like the temperature sensitivity coatings on the stick powders. RL-15 does not have this while AR-Comp does. Both from Alliant. Reloader 15 is also pretty slow for an AR. I was trying to shoot it in a 26 inch barrel bolt gun.
    I’ve not tried any of the new Alliant ball powders. They are said to burn cool and leave a powdery non build up type fouling as opposed to hard carbon. All an asset to longer barrel life. You can glean a little more velocity with many loads than from the stick powders. Power Pro-2000 shows good numbers fro the 69 grain bullets.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

BLC(2) works but golly it's got a carbon footprint!

Currently in search of the lost chord with 760 and CCI450's.

Boolit Master
    What, no AA2230?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast