Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggested BHN for 300 BO 150gr Boolit.

Banned

and different molds like different things.
    aluminum molds like to be run at about 425-f and mehanite at more in the 375 range.
    you could turn up your pot temp a little more [700 or so seems to work well with a warmed up mold]
    casting pace will also dictate how hot you keep the mold and a consistent rhythm helps immensely.
    I fight to keep a consistent rhythm and keep a count in my head [some use a clock ticking] of everything from fill to fill again and how long I let the sprue cool before breaking it open.

I use a gloved hand to open the mold and return the hot sprue back to the pot immediately.
    some don't like to return the sprue saying it adds some oxides back to the pot. [which it probably does]
    but I like keeping the pot at as near the same fill as possible and as close to the same temp as possible.
    adding 4oz's of room temp alloy to a LEE 20 lb pot will drop the pot temp down about 25-f this doesn't help consistent weights at all.
    I pre-heat my ingots on top of the pot, and keep the ingots to about 1/2 the depth of the rcbs ingot molds.
    by on top of the pot I mean on top of a steel plate 3/8" thick] I cut a notch in the corner for ingots and sprues to go through.
    it also to add some mass to the pot to help keep temps more stable.
    my 40 lb magma pots also have a steel top [1/2" thick]

R5R, are You ladling or bottom pouring? I looked up Magma, They got some cool looking machines.

I got a PID I ordered off of Ebay, with a kiln thermocouple coming that I'm going to build a temp control out of. I did find the temp of the LEE Pro Pot would swing wildly as the pot level went down. I was tossing the sprues back in occasionally, as I waited between pours. I just didn't have enough lead to keep the pot full as I went. I was just messing around, and didn't want to just start tossing whatever in the pot, till I had a basic idea of what I was doing. If I'm just gonna use WW, and Pb 3:1, with a little Tin, I'm just going to make a big batch so it'll all be consistent.

I didn't separate the COWW and the SOWW, so My batch of WW ingots is not really consistent. Plus, I can add the tin in better I suppose.

I was thinking, I got an old Lyman pot I scored at a garage sale, if I ever got going that fast, I could pre-heat lead in that and ladle it into the Pro Pot as I needed.

I've had a problem with the Lee pro pot dripping, so I heated it up, cleaned it really well, and took the rod out. It's cooling right now. Is there anything specific I should be looking for? I'm hoping it was just a piece of crud in there. The directions mention that, so I figure once it cools off I can look into it and see what's going on, hopefully.

I got one of those laser temp readers from HF for My BD, I'll have to try it out on the molds to try to learn what they like.

I got My 6 cavity mold cleaned today, also cleaned the 2 cavity. I used degreaser, and a acid brush, got all the cavities and the sprue plate really well, wiped them down with a clean rag. I'll hit them with some Beeswax when I'm heating them up to use. Any other advice as to breaking them in? I've read a lot of conflicting info as to if smoking them is needed or not. Seems like the newer LEE molds don't need it like the older molds did, opinions?

Thanks, Dave.

Banned

well the clip on to stick-on ratio I had for ww's was always about 3 to 1 anyway and I started piling up the stick-on weights over time so I just started adding them back in at about their appropriate amounts.
    I didn't know it was the right thing to do back then I just wanted to use all the lead I had.

I generally bottom pour now days I still can and do ladle cast the larger stuff, anything over 400grs or so usually does much better with a ladle.

you might want to lap that lee stem into the spout it will fit tighter and that generally stops the dribbling for a while anyway.
    most guy's eventually just end up clamping a set of vise grips on the stem to push down and help seal it with weight.

if you have the lyman pot I would get it out and give it a try they are a lot better quality than the LEE pots are.
    if you are looking for a cool way to set things up to bottom pour, you might think about just mounting one pot up over the edge of the other.
    then you can just dump hot lead from one right into the other and use the top one to melt alloy in, to keep the bottom one full and consistent.
    I bought a 10 lb lee to keep my 20 lber full like that, then littlegirl took it apart so she could cast some soft lead in the 10lb pot and I just left it like that.
    maybe one day i'll get another one and do it again.

I'm not a fan of smoking molds.
    if the boolits stick I just lap the mold and things calm right down.
    I also have a break in plan for my new molds where I give them 4-5 good full hot to cold heat cycles through some short casting runs, this allows the mold to build up a patina in the cavity's and for everything to work themselves out.
    then I make a fairly long casting run with the mold and start working with the boolits themselves.
    this also let's me start to judge how the mold likes to be poured in and identify any other issues I need to address.

Well, I did it. Ended up just doing up 100lbs, figured I had 1lb of Tin, 1% makes easy math to 100lbs.

But, I must admit, by the time I weighed out 75lbs of WW's ,and 25lbs of Pb, 1lb of tin, I said screw it and tossed the 5lb bar of Superhard in.

I know My WW are alittle soft, so I just went for it.

According to the calculator, this will make it 12.2 BHN, which I bet it will come out at more like 11.5 BHN.

I'll cast up a couple Boolits later and see what really happened.
    Last edited by ChevelleDave; 11-09-2015 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Fixed My math

Also, out of 106lb of material, I got .86lb of slag. Does that mean anything, or is slag % irrelevant?

Banned

eh it's usually some oxides and trash just coming out of the mix.
    a lot of stuff gets trapped under the surface of lead and working it over a couple of times will generally release it.

I don't get too worked up about stuff in the alloy unless it affects my casting or I get inclusions into my boolits.
    I clean my lead about 3 times when smelting, I then flux everything again 1-2 times when I mix up my big batches of alloy.
    that way I don't have to clean the alloy in my casting pots very often and can concentrate on making boolits.

Yeah, I flux at least several times when smelting WW, and PB the first time.

I fluxed twice Today, while mixing.

Going to get some lapping compound tomorrow and lap the nozzle on My pot, also going to rig up a spring to help it shut off better. Do it now while it's apart, hopefully be done with it.

You might want to drop some shot in the alloy (As) so you can WD if needed. IIRC the NOE AK boolit gets a lot of users in BO. Got invited on a hog hunt today so maybe I'll see if the 145gr FN PB I'm using works good. I'll take the 308 also, friend wants to try it. Don't know if I can make the movie and reload some before tomorrow morning.
    Whatever!

It's too late to do that. I think it'll be good, it has to now.

Banned

you'll be fine.
    the arsenic is a precipitator for the antimony to harden the boolit from water dropping, if you want the final bhn without the arsenic you just have to wait longer.
    that's just how it works.
    you could substitute some sulpher for the arsenic if your impatient, but that doesn't usually go over well with the neighbors or the wife for some reason.

popper if it's the same one you sent me a sample of it should work pretty well on those eatin sized piggy's.
    I got josh from ACE to cut me a mold similar to that one and if I get some time this winter i'll get it out to the range along with yours.
    I need to do a major re-model of the reloading room or something, I just got too much stuff in there right now.

Got a 200# one with a Texas heart shot, but 40sw cast, not BO. They sure run fast. Missed first 2 shots about 20', right rump on the third. Had a big doe walk under the stand, next morning an 8 pt & another doe. Fun watching.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    fwiw;
    Ive been tinkering with a .300blk I made up from used parts I aquired along the way.
    Most significantly, barrel is an R-Guns, 1/8" 16" WITH MID LENGTH GAS PORT. This has had to be drilled out to .120" to get adequate gassing to function with 125grn supersonic -Lock open after last shot from magazine.
    I mostly wanted to be able to shoot cast as I was largely put out of commission by the panic of '08 and '11. But I did have cast boolits!
    IT's been a challenge to get the gun to work with cast. My last batch of 155 grn PtdGC's were a bit soft, ( some left over 50/50 ww/pb lubed with home made lube (Bens red, TERRIBLE,!!).
    I stripped the lube, re lubed with SPG, then tumbled lubed. Better, but...
    i've gotten best accuracy with ww/+2% leadfree solder added;
    lastly, using Acc1680 @ ~19.0grn for ~1,950fps. However, I'm OUT. Can't find any except 1lb online. So, I worked up a load that will function, but not blow primers like H110 @ 16.5grn. (Works, but is TOO HOT!). Hod. Lil'Gun, H4227, H4198, BlueDot, #2400, no luck. Not enough gas volumn.
    I found that Acc5744 works at 17.5grn, but is running 2,050fps and is too much for my soft alloy. Same bullets shot 2" from a 1943 SMLE over 30.0grn of H4895 this afternoon @ 1,700fps, slower twist. .300blk shot like a foot groups at 100yds. I did get a ~5" group at 50yds as I was blowin them out, to get rid of them (I only have a bit over 100 cases made, so didn't want them "occupying valuable space..."

I hope you've found some useful information in my ramble...

Boolit Buddy

I understand how too hard of alloy can be bad. I can shatter this hard alloy I have with a chisel and hammer. but, I can also see how soft alloy will strip down the barrel. So, my question is, how do I make my hard alloy tough like copper or brass, it is hard as well as tough, it doesn't shatter and it doesn't strip.

Cut with equal amount of pure, replace tin with 2% Cu, WD and you have essentially a 36 BHN tough and hard solid boolit. Don't hunt with it unless for Rhinos. I should have stepped back 100 and tried it on that dead piggie but the rifle was 1/2 mile away. Actually I should have taken the rifle, I could have hit him several times with the AR.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

how do you alloy copper to a lead alloy? WD?

Whatever!

So, here are the results of My first real casting session.

I was running one 6 cavity mold, pretty hot, the pot was 715*, and I was just waiting long enough for the sprue to cool. I had a bucket on the ground, with a towel on the bottom, and water dropped them.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

I actually cast twice this much, but I remelted the whole first batch rather then sort them. Learned a lot in that first run, definitely like it hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    fwiw;
    Ive been tinkering with a .300blk I made up from used parts I aquired along the way.
    Most significantly, barrel is an R-Guns, 1/8" 16" WITH MID LENGTH GAS PORT. This has had to be drilled out to .120" to get adequate gassing to function with 125grn supersonic -Lock open after last shot from magazine.
    I mostly wanted to be able to shoot cast as I was largely put out of commission by the panic of '08 and '11. But I did have cast boolits!
    IT's been a challenge to get the gun to work with cast. My last batch of 155 grn PtdGC's were a bit soft, ( some left over 50/50 ww/pb lubed with home made lube (Bens red, TERRIBLE,!!).
    I stripped the lube, re lubed with SPG, then tumbled lubed. Better, but...
    i've gotten best accuracy with ww/+2% leadfree solder added;
    lastly, using Acc1680 @ ~19.0grn for ~1,950fps. However, I'm OUT. Can't find any except 1lb online. So, I worked up a load that will function, but not blow primers like H110 @ 16.5grn. (Works, but is TOO HOT!). Hod. Lil'Gun, H4227, H4198, BlueDot, #2400, no luck. Not enough gas volumn.
    I found that Acc5744 works at 17.5grn, but is running 2,050fps and is too much for my soft alloy. Same bullets shot 2" from a 1943 SMLE over 30.0grn of H4895 this afternoon @ 1,700fps, slower twist. .300blk shot like a foot groups at 100yds. I did get a ~5" group at 50yds as I was blowin them out, to get rid of them (I only have a bit over 100 cases made, so didn't want them "occupying valuable space..."

I hope you've found some useful information in my ramble...
    I did, and I appreciate any input.

Just getting to the point where I need to decide on a powder. I got W296, 1680, and Lil' Gun on hand.

I should add that I will be powder coating, and gas checking these.
    Last edited by ChevelleDave; 11-21-2015 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Added info

I was able to test some of the Boolits Today, after water dropping them, they have a BHN of 17.9. I guess the Superhard did it's job.

Banned

water dropping does the work.
    you will turn a 3% antimony alloy into an 18 bhn alloy after a couple of weeks of waiting.

not precipitation hardening them [air cooling] will yield a bhn more in the 11 range.

if you take them and heat soak them for an hour in a 410-F oven then dump them into a pail of very cold water I'd bet you get a bhn more in the 28-30 range.

adding to or reducing the Tin content will also vary the outcome and the final bhn.

I like Tin in my smaller boolits combined with a higher antimony content.
    in my 30 cal stuff I cut ww alloy down with soft lead and use the water pail.
    there is a balance of toughness/malleability/internal strength, and powder timing that must be found for the best results in function, speed and accuracy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast