WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: RCBS X-Die; what is your experience?

RCBS X-Die; what is your experience?

looking into a progressive press, and if the product does as stated I think it's a big leap forward towards loading rifle brass like pistol brass progressively on a press.
    I just don't see how smashing down the neck with the mandrel won't cause a thicker case neck, or inconsistent case neck tension.
    Does it work, or does trimming it down .02" below max ttl just allow brass to grow whatever it was going to grow anyway?

Would love to hear with someone with experience using the die, and what if any problems you've had using it?

Thanks!
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Master

They work as claimed for me as far as controlling case length growth. I've only tested them in 6.5x55 and have only reloaded each test case 3 times since buying the X-dies. Not sure the accuracy is as good as neck sizing, though. I think I'll order a Lee collet neck sizer and quit using the X-dies. I'm splitting hairs with the accuracy. With neck sizing the rifle shoots well under 1/2". With X-dies it still shoots .75"- .90" groups. For hunting either is plenty accurate, though.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I've use them since RCBS first introduced them and they work for me in 243W, 308W and 338W Magnum. I have loaded 308W military brass over 16 times without having to trim. Haven't noticed any loss of accuracy. Have a half dozen loading on the 338W brass without issues. Best thing since sliced bread, for calibers that are prone to stretching, IMO.

Winelover

Vendor Sponsor

I can attest to them working in 223 and 308
    have some loaded at least 6 times no trimming and accuracy just as good
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    That's good to hear. I'm using .308Win and 30-06 for M1A and M1 Garand but I haven't been through my brass enough times to tell yet how they work for case length control.

I can say accuracy is not a problem with either rifle.

If you are loading for accuracy and loading for a bolt action rifle you really should be using neck only sized brass unless you definitely need guaranteed quick second shot. Sometimes neck only sized ammo can fit snug.

But the point is neck only sizing is going to be more accurate than any method of full length sizing and your not giving up anything because neck only sizing only creates a tiny fraction of the case length growth that full length sizing produces.

Motor

Thanks guys, just placed an order, trimming is probably the most tedious case prep, even with the WFT when you're looking at a thousand or more cases. I just placed an order for a 223 X-die FL sizer, but it seems a good idea to keep my Lee 223 FL sizer for new brass, or 556 brass that hasnt been trimmed down to batch size yet.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Grand Master

Since getting .223 and .308W X-dies and loading on my Dillon 550B I have not trimmed any of the cases. I also have numerous other X-dies now for other cartridges. Greatest thing since peanut butter.........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Since getting .223 and .308W X-dies and loading on my Dillon 550B I have not trimmed any of the cases. I also have numerous other X-dies now for other cartridges. Greatest thing since peanut butter.........

Larry Gibson
    Larry, I hate to jump on the thread, but can't resist. Have you found you did not need to trim at all or just needed to full length resize one time, trim and then next time you could use the x-die? The instructions say to size w/x-die, then trim a bit more than normal, the continue to use x-die with no need to trim again.

Reason I ask, I have a lot (as in 5000 plus) .223/5.56 cases and several thousand 308Win cases I need to size/trim and normally I do this with a Dillon size/trim die. I'd like to take those cases and resize them after size/trimming with an RCBS x-die. What I want to avoid is initial size/trim with the x-die and a hand trimmer, as I have a Dillon 1200.

Boolit Master
    Trim once, to uniform length......I don't trim, to or, below minimum.....usually a couple thousandths, longer. Then size with X-die adjusted, so length will stop at another couple thousandths.

Winelover

Old thread but I'm looking for info I haven't found.

Do the x dies full length resize?

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, they FL size.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks Mr Gibson.

Banned

another fan. All my 223 and 308 stuff is loaded with small base x dies.

Boolit Master

My biggest issue is keeping my prepped cases segregated from range pickups. Mistakenly size a range pickup in the X die and the neck might buckle.

Yes, definitely full length sizing. I believe they are offered in standard and small base. Mine is the standard size.

I've tried different die configurations to get to where I am now. Started with Lee, then standard RCBS F/L, then RCBS small base F/L. The X Die is where I've landed. Nice thing is that it can function exactly like a standard die with the "X" mandrel turned out a little.

Banned

ive don't AT LEAST 10k once fired range brass in x dies and never once had a neck buckle or any problem what so ever. Not saying it couldn't happen if you found some 3 or 4 times shot brass at the range. But I set up my Dillon trimmer and the first thing I do to all used brass I buy is trim it chamfer it then deprime it and swadge primer pockets. But if your range brass really is once fired you could probably get away without even trimming it.

With many thousands of rounds, idk I lost count around like 15-20k I think I’ve had like three buckled necks. Don’t know if it happened due to mixing up batches or brass growing. No malfunctions, many carbine/vehicle/tactical classes and range time.
    X die has saved me so much time and effort I could spend more time shooting.
    I trim to 1.74” which is a little shorter than I’d like, but not a big deal. Growth is consistent for crimping and hornady fmjbt has a pretty wide cannelure groove.
    If you’re on the fence, get it. If you can count to twenty without resorting to using your toes you can set up and use the x-die and you’ll wonder why you ever wasted time with anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

RCBS small base for lc mg fired 308. Never trimmed any, scrap after 10 or so reloads, got another 1500 in the bag, lifetime supply.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Since getting .223 and .308W X-dies and loading on my Dillon 550B I have not trimmed any of the cases. I also have numerous other X-dies now for other cartridges. Greatest thing since peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive don't AT LEAST 10k once fired range brass in x dies and never once had a neck buckle or any problem what so ever. Not saying it couldn't happen if you found some 3 or 4 times shot brass at the range. But I set up my Dillon trimmer and the first thing I do to all used brass I buy is trim it chamfer it then deprime it and swadge primer pockets. But if your range brass really is once fired you could probably get away without even trimming it.
    How often do you anneal? Thanks, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

I only anneal if a case neck or two split in a specific lot of brass. With my 308/7.62 and 223/5.56 X-dies I don't anneal at all because, with gas guns, the rims usually get beat up pretty bad so I toss them after 20+ reloads. Tossing them has happened before any necks split.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - remember MOST reloading instructions handbooks, etc.
    you encounter are for BOLT ACTION ( NO self loading! ) / etc. rifles.

Semiautos need FULL LENGTH (NOT "neck sizing")
    resizing for FREE CHAMBERING,
    CCI MILITARY primers, spring loaded firing pins, etc.
    "free chambering" (nice "plunk test") etc. to avoid slam fires.....

(Today, believe there are OTHER "military" primers available to reloaders too? ??)
    Don't take chances guys and gals! !!
    Bang Bang Bang