Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: .221 Askins

Boolit Master

I am actually using .250” OD for the cases, since I have not seated any bullets only 22 cal pellets I don’t know if more of a press fit will be needed.
    I have a .250” reamer that I used to make my sizing die and would have to order something smaller.
    A .002 press fit should be plenty for a small cartridge like this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I am actually using .250” OD for the cases, since I have not seated any bullets only 22 cal pellets I don’t know if more of a press fit will be needed.
    I have a .250” reamer that I used to make my sizing die and would have to order something smaller.
    A .002 press fit should be plenty for a small cartridge like this.
    Have you considered using redding neck sizing bushings or drill bushings as inserts in die bodies to us ein swaging down cases?

I admit my experiments using PTG 'Blank die Bodies" is somewhat overkill as they are designed for Rifle sized Magnum cartridge dies rather than Handgun sized cartridges.

Since you machine your own die bodies, the length of the body is more controllable by you. reaming for a bushing is also cheaper as they are available in reasonably consistent OD sizes. with the bore being a variable as specified. a possible 'problem is the lack of a tapered section between the Mouth radius and the actual 'sizing diameter' bore.

Chev. William

PS: I also tap the top end of the PTG die bodies in internal !/2-20UNF threads to take possible top accessories such as seating punches or a decapping punch if ever needed (not likely as I use a separate Universal Decapping die for that operation now).

Sadly, I do occasionally bend or break a decapping punch when processing "range Brass" as I have found some come with some funny things in them such as a smaller caliber case or a bullet inside the case in question.
    Even in 'sorted' lots!

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-24-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345