Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paper patched minie?

Boolit Buddy

paper patched minie?

Here's my situation. I've just acquired a Euro arms 1853 Enfield. I would like to make period correct cartridges for it, complete with paper patched pritchett bullet.

Now, it's not so important to me to have a smooth sided pritchett bullet with a base plug. A regular minie would do. It's just that paper cartridges seem so convenient in the field, and not having to unwrap the bullet seems all the more so. I also like the idea of not having to clean lead fouling out of a barrel with a closed breech.

I've read conflicting information. Some say that only a rifle with the original progressive depth rifling will handle this type of ammunition. Others say that you just have to make the patched bullet a bit closer to bore diameter than you would with the aforementioned barrels.

Has anyone tried paper patched minies in a rifle with a conventional barrel?
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 11-07-2015 at 01:35 PM.

For the .69 Fremont. The double wrap of weak paper comes right off.
    Haven't made paper patched for the Armisport P53 yet but I'm getting around to it.

The extremely shallow rifling in the Armisport .69 made it tough to get something to shoot.
    The paper had to be something not as strong as rag bond like I use for other boolits.
    Those above are actually made with a Big Chief tablet and shoot pretty good once the powder charge got worked out.

Boolit Buddy
    That's certainty an interesting bullet there.

Boolit Master
    There's all manner of info out there via normal google search. Some is in video form.

I've shot various kinds of paper patched and paper cartridges with Miniés in some of my muskets. I can't tell any difference between shooting a paper wrapped Minié out of a conventional type rifled bore vs one of progressive depth design.

There's some pretty good info here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK-...-0glJZgw8dO1Ag
    Last edited by fouronesix; 11-02-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Boolit Master
    The link I posted had all manner of stuff including some about making paper cartridges. I don't know if it included this youtube video of shooting the paper cartridges for speed- averaging about 20 seconds per shot with the Enfield.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNrQs74z0lg

The particulars of this as discussed in the thread, the shooter says he was concentrating on the speed potential so accuracy was secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    That's certainty an interesting bullet there.
    It's a Lyman 57730 bored out to make an adjustable length smooth sided hollow base to fit the oversized .696" bore on my Armisport barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    The link I posted had all manner of stuff including some about making paper cartridges. I don't know if it included this youtube video of shooting the paper cartridges for speed- averaging about 20 seconds per shot with the Enfield.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNrQs74z0lg

The particulars of this as discussed in the thread, the shooter says he was concentrating on the speed potential so accuracy was secondary.
    I'm subscribed to his channel, and he'll cause me to call the rifle shoppe for a baker kit before long.

He actually did some 400 yard shooting with his paper cartridges, so they do have some accuracy. Of course, his gun is a parker hale, which has the progressive depth rifling.

Upon further research, I've determined that progressive depth rifling was used to maintain accuracy with grossly undersized projectiles. This would have been a problem for militaries trying to provide standardized ammunition for millions of muskets with a plethora of bore sizes.

It's not so much of a problem for a hobby shooter with access to custom sizing dies.

Boolit Master
    I have an early, low serial number English made Parker Hale that I shoot quite a bit. Additionally, I shoot various other repro and original 577/58 cal rifle muskets- P53s, Zouaves, M61s and M63s. My loading objective for these rifle muskets is being able to shoot 10 or more shots without forceful ramming or having to swab the bore. The paper patched or paper cartridge Miniés I've experimented with usually show accuracy about equal to regular Crisco lubed Miniés.

As a general rule the closer to bore diameter the better the accuracy. But, even that rule is not 100%. Coincidentally, I was out a couple of weeks ago shooting some slightly undersized (.003" less than bore diameter) Crisco lubed Miniés out of an original M61 that yielded one of the best 10 shot targets (pictured) I've ever shot with that particular gun. Go figure.

1st shot out of cold clean bore @ 11 o'clock. Shots 2-10 wallowed out hole @ 1 o'clock.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 11-05-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd just like to be able to load my rifle in a somewhat historical fashion.

Not a bad group for a gun that's a century and a half old.

Moderator Emeritus
    I use pre made paper and plastic tube cartridges for my Enfields. Repro and original.

See this link for how I do it: http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22251

NOE have just done a run of Pritchett moulds for me in 0.566" and 0.550" and they produce most excellent bullets.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

You mean like this?

.40al hollow base PPed. The mould throws 40-1 at .396 so I patch them to .402 and they shoot brilliantly.

This is 3 at 50m.

Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

This thread probably fits better in the Muzzleloader section but no problem in either place… same mod covers both

Nice paper patched target! Yes, they can shoot well and I'm always amazed at the accuracy potential of rifle muskets. Also, glad to see dromia post here as he is really into paper cartridges for the Enfield and does a good job promoting the discipline.

The muzzleloader section? Oh my goodness no!
    Black powder paper patches is black powder paper patches!
    The only difference is that the more primitive, uh less refined, require a bit of finesse.

Super Moderator

..............I have a Parker-Hale P58 Naval Pattern 2 band that is nicely accurate, but not so much with paper patched Minie's bullets.

The left photo is 5 @ 50 yards. NEI 500gr Target Minie', 70grs of Elephant 2Fg. The rifle is also sensitive to lube, and where you put it. The right photo is 5 each at 50 yards of 70.0 grs of Swiss 2Fg under and old 505gr Challanger Minie'. This rifle likes the lube in the base cavity. With Crisco you can barely get off 10 rounds before you're hammering the slug home. Using Bore Butter you can shoot all day long.

Many years ago a guy in Louisiana and I hooked up as we were both shooting P-H Whitworths. He said he had a mould cut for a 58 caliber Minie' that he could paper patch up to shoot in his '61 Springfield, and would I like to have some to patch and try in my Enfield. Naturally I said sure He sent me 25 of'em so I figured I'd go with 3 round groups. They weighed 475 grs and had a half round cup base, and 4 narrow grooves. I patched them up and they were a trifle snuggish in the bore.

I tried lube in the base only to start with a charge of 40grs of Elephant 3 Fg. I gave that up as I could hear them whistling as they headed downrange to land against the 100 yard berm maybe 4' apart. I increased the charge to 70grs of 2Fg with lube in the base. Then I tried wiping the bore between shots, then I tried lube on the patch and none in the base cavity. I never got anything close to a group. Best was 3 shots which actually hit the target at 50 yards, but nothing to be proud of. The only thing I can figure out is that something was happening to mess up the patches. The P58 has 5 grooves of equal width as the lands, plus the grooves are much deeper at the breech. I thought the paper might be getting messed up somehow when the Minie' expanded? I'd see the cloud of confetti fluttering around, but would also find pieces as large as a quarter. Anyway, that was my one and only attempt with patched Minie' bullets.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Since the Enfield, with its progressive depth rifling, was designed to shoot paper patched smooth sided Pritchett bullets, I would think it could be made to do so again today. Dromia has had NOE make a mould for those bullets and has shown good success making the issue style paper cartridge ammo for them. But a Pritchett bullet and a Minie' are two different things, with the Minie' designed to be shot naked. Patching one to get it to fit in a bore too big for it seems viable, especially in the repro rifles with constant depth rifling, but for best results I would think you would be better off with the correct bullet.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    One method of paper patch I did try with conventional Miniés that worked very well was to use very thin paper and only a single wrap. The wrap didn't have to be neat either. The width of the paper covering from the leading edge of the shank down to a little overlap into the hollow base. Of course for any paper patch endeavor to work, the bullet needs to be small enough diameter to accommodate the paper. What seemed to work for Miniés (for me) was to use thin and relatively "weak" paper, single wrapped with the final PP'd diameter to be about .001" smaller than bore and to wipe between shots.

Another thing I found that wasn't surprising, once I thought about it a while, is that if a style of Minié (or conical for that matter) doesn't want to shoot without paper patching it likely doesn't want to shoot paper patched either…. and vice versa. Two examples I tried that support that theory are the Lee Improved Minié and the Lee REAL. I have no quarrel with those who swear by them, but life's too short for me to use up anymore time or effort on them.

Since those paper patching experiments, I've shelved the molds for the Miniés that don't want to shoot and have acquired good Minié molds to cover all the various bore sizes of my muskets. There is no need to paper patch Miniés that work well without being patched. For equal accuracy it's much simpler to use the correct type and diameter Minié, smear on Crisco, load and fire. HC re-enacting using British paper cartridge loads or Pritchett loads is a different story.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I'd just like to be able to load my rifle in a somewhat historical fashion.

Moved this to the muzzle loading forum as the OP seems to want to load Pritchett style cartridges rather than a separately paper patched Minie.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Moved this to the muzzle loading forum as the OP seems to want to load Pritchett style cartridges rather than a separately paper patched Minie.
    More or less. I'm just wondering if they'll work in a standard bore without the progressive depth rifling. From the replies I've received, I think it could be made to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast