Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PP .452 to .459?

Boolit Master

PP .452 to .459?

Here goes; I have 2 45-70's; and I'd like to make one (Handi-rifle) more user friendly for my grandkids to shoot.

I have several .452 molds for 45ACP/Colt. I'm going to try my hand at paper-patching some of the 255gr or 300gr up to about .465ish and then run it back through a Lee .460 sizer.

Any idea's? Comments? Experience with this idea?

Thanks in advance for comments, and recommendations.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

I have 2 under size Lee moulds that drop .456- 457 " I size them .452 then paper patch them back to .460 & resize .458. use a LIGHT coat of Johnsons paste wax before sizing. they work fine in my Taylor Arms sharps 45/70. These are 420 & 465 grboolits, I'm going to try some 252 gr, swc next
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

No longer shooting a 45-70, I've gone to caseless rounds and have shot these in a .458" bore diameter muzzleloader. They're real easy to wrap.

Boolit Master

Good Cheer; are they paper patched? Looks so good, almost like you used tef-tape. Also, bond paper? And, how many wraps?

But that's "exactly" what I want to try. Maybe a mild charge of RedDot, Unique, maybe? Looking for around 1200-1300 fps. Shouldn't be hard to do with this light a bullet.

And, I may even try some black powder in the 45-70 also; who knows. Thanks for all your comments.

HV

It's a nine pound 25% cotton paper double wrap spit patch.
    That stuff shrinks up like wet rawhide in a black and white western.

I did the same thing with a Lee 225gr RF 452. I used regular printer paper and few grains of reddot. It does pretty good accuracy wise and no real recoil. Another route would be to get the NOE collar button mold. I think it drops a boolit at 180 gr. When I use a low powder load its like a big bore air rifle. You can load them to a higher velocity too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    Here goes; I have 2 45-70's; and I'd like to make one (Handi-rifle) more user friendly for my grandkids to shoot.

I have several .452 molds for 45ACP/Colt. I'm going to try my hand at paper-patching some of the 255gr or 300gr up to about .465ish and then run it back through a Lee .460 sizer.

Any idea's? Comments? Experience with this idea?

Thanks in advance for comments, and recommendations.

HV
    Some unneeded gymnastics there IMO. Dress pattern paper (among others) mics at about .0015" thickness. Wet patch your bullets with two layers and you're at .458" diameter. PP w/smokeless does well at groove or groove +.001 and the bullets will shoot better if you avoid the sizing exercise. Lube with a rub of Beeswax or add a bit of Vaseline if you like. A card wad under the bullet won't hurt your endeavor either. It is an effective methodology.

I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Nice group!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a 429426, it drops at .447 that I wrapped dry in green bar printer paper up to 453 . Although nothing was gained over the 454424 at .454 nor was anything lost in a 45 Colts carb.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I keep reminding folks who are skeptics of this practice that its over 150 years old; and worked then, and works NOW.

Isn't it strange that many seasoned casters/handloaders, still believe that all bullets were, and are, jacketed.

I tell them that the American plains buffalo was successfully harvested with a 405gr cast bullet at 1300 fps. And, that many were paper-patching then.

HV

Boolit Master
    I do it with 45ACP 200 gr SWC's over Unique. Works fine at 50 yds, no recoil, and hell on groundhogs.

PP .452 to .459?

Glad to see this! I tried patching .452 slugs with 2 wraps of printer paper, way to big. Ran out of time to go any further and haven't found time since. Maybe 1.25-1.5 wraps would be about right to slide in a flared 45-70 case.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master
    No sir, that ain't how it works. You need complete wraps, 2-3 being most common. Find the right paper thickness and adjust dims in that fashion. 9# onion skin is typically .002-.0025" thick. Wetted and wrapped, it dries to about .002". Other weight papers has different thicknesses, higher weights being thicker.

Little math assists; two wraps of 9# gives a finished addition of .008" to diameter

If you shop at Walmart pick up a pack of 25# Tracing paper. It mikes out at .002 " and two wraps will get you .008 inch increase. With a .452 bullet to start it should come out to about .460 when dry.
    Brodie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    Nice group!
    I was happy with it. What isn't all that obvious is that ammo was loaded in 2002 and fired in 2011. Not too long after that it took a trip to Mississippi and whacked the biggest deer I've shot. Pure lead, 300 gr, .422" diameter w/9# onionskin. Charged with Li'l Gun and runs ~1,600 fps at muzzle + 10'. The sight on the rifle is a Millett SP-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    No sir, that ain't how it works. You need complete wraps, 2-3 being most common. Find the right paper thickness and adjust dims in that fashion. 9# onion skin is typically .002-.0025" thick. Wetted and wrapped, it dries to about .002". Other weight papers has different thicknesses, higher weights being thicker.

Little math assists; two wraps of 9# gives a finished addition of .008" to diameter
    Thanks for the correction, now, what kind of store might I find 9# onion skin? I can order online but I would rather buy local.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master
    Southworth paper makes a bit of it if that's any help. Look for paper with rag or cotton content in the range of 25%.

Boolit Master
    Staple's has both.

Boolit Master
    A buddy wrapped lead .452 pistol bullets in Teflon tape and shot with great success at pistol velocity in a 45-70 ( at .458) . It looked like you were throwing confetti.... He could stay on all the animals at our 1/2 size silhouette range.

Boolit Mold
    The baseline I use in medium to large bore cartridges is to take a standard size bullet (here, .457) and patch it up to fit a fired case. If I cannot get acceptable accuracy, then I go to the more reliable standard of .001" over bore/.001" over groove diameter. I try not to size cases unless necessary; they're getting too expensive to replace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast