WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do you know for sure you've been cheated?

Boolit Master

When do you know for sure you've been cheated?

Last week on the 20th I made a trade deal with a low post count member. He received his goods on the 24th and sent me a PM stating so, and he asked if I got my goods. I PMd him back asking if he had a tracking number. He hasn't logged back in since the 25th and I haven't heard from him. I even tried to email him but haven't heard back.

I am beginning to believe that this guy never sent me my goods. Google helped me track his work phone number down. Should I give him a call there? He works at a Ford dealership.

This site used to be full of guys I could trust, but in the last few years some of my trade deals have really soured me on it.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Yes you should give him a call.

Boolit Master
    I'd give him a call, and mention if he doesn't sort it out you'll be talking to his manager.

My one trade deal on here a few years ago took awhile to get sorted out. It took me publicly shaming the guy on a thread about a new gun he'd bought and asking how he could afford a new gun if he couldn't afford to pay me for the rifle barrel he'd stiffed me on (50/50 lead/cash trade)

I agree, a phone call might wake him up. Don't blame it on the Ford dealership, I work in one also. And it wasn't me.

Give him a call and find out what the deal is. It may be something came up and he hasn't been able to log on. Sorry to hear about this. Its too bad some individuals ruin it for the rest of us.
    Bring your hip waders!!

Boolit Master

I wouldn't expect the USPS to deliver the box in a week. I don't get excited for a couple of weeks and then I would just seek tracking info to start out.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    historicfirearms . . . my initial response to your question . . "when do you know you've been cheated" would have been . . . "when you're dealing with the guv'ment." But that would be no help at all . . .

I've been lucky. I've done a number of trades and fortunately, they've all worked out. I was taught that when you agree to something, you carry through and you carry through in a timely manner. Not all folks are taught that however.

You never know . . . things do happen that require your attention so I guess you have to give the benefit of the doubt. But if you asked for a tracking number . . . they should have followed through . . . and as I have always said and preached . . . "communications is the most important thing". I don't think you'd be out of line at all to give the guy a call at the dealership and inquire as to what is going on in a very cordial way. I don't know as though I'd threaten hm with speaking to his manager . . . it is "personal business" and not "work business". But if he doesn't carry through after talking with him and waiting a respectable amount of time, then I'd contact him again and remind him that "fraud" is a crime . . . and his county/jurisdiction does have a Prosecuting Attorney's office that will follow up on it. But that would be my "last resort".

Good luck and hopefully it will all work our for you and you'll get what's coming to you without a lot of hassle.

Banned

Don't judge too quickly, I sent a MO for some dies on here a while back, long time, no reply. Did some checking and the guy had passed away suddenly. A long time friend of his sorted through his affairs and did in fact make good on the deal, but it was a good month and a half.

Hopefully nothing that bad, but you never know what may have happenned in the guy's life.

A friend of mine passed away yesterday, age 54. In June my sister-in-law passed away, age 55, no warning.
    I'm not saying this is what happened with your deal, I'm just using these two events as an example thta things happen in peoples lives that take precedent over everything else at least for a little while. When my sister-in-law passed away in June I spent two weeks away from home and my shop/business helping my brother. Thankfully I didn't have any pending deals that couldn't wait, I'm just saying things happen.

Patience is a virtue, embrace it if you can, often in a woman, seldom in a man. A phone call wouldn't be rude but I wouldn't start to worry just yet.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Last week on the 20th I made a trade deal with a low post count member. He received his goods on the 24th and sent me a PM stating so, and he asked if I got my goods. I PMd him back asking if he had a tracking number. He hasn't logged back in since the 25th and I haven't heard from him. I even tried to email him but haven't heard back.

I am beginning to believe that this guy never sent me my goods. Google helped me track his work phone number down. Should I give him a call there? He works at a Ford dealership.

This site used to be full of guys I could trust, but in the last few years some of my trade deals have really soured me on it.

You should never take a chance on a low post count new member.

Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Depending where he is, hunting season opened here on the 24th. That can put a person totally our of touch for a week easy. Considering how slow the mail can be, I wouldn't panic yet. Around here, over night mail takes four days to arrive.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

A phone call can't hurt, maybe he suddenly lost his job and is scrambling to find something and just forgot. Life can get in the way at times! This fall has really put a crimp in my getting things done!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, a phone call or another e-mail is called for here. Stuff does indeed happen but the combo of low post counts and infrequent visits here does raise a red flag. OTOH, some people, unlike me, have a LIFE and don't come here more days than not.
    I hope it works out for you. I cannot confirm nor deny whether I work for a Ford dealership but can say that would be a point in his favor in my little world.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Send the guy a certified signature required letter requesting your product. I would give him a call at work then send the letter stating as per your conversation on the phone of the dealership so on and so forth. Keep a copy for your record as to a record of the time, number and how longthe phone call lasted. Then if no results contact the local police in his area to see if they can help. If not then go to the attorneys.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance

Friday the 23rd I mailed a package to Florida from Ohio and the tracking has been all screwed up. The package was just shown as "delayed in shipping" on the afternoon of the 29th, so it still hasn't shown it's face to the receiving address.
    Give it a while to get thru the mail, there is at least three states that take my packages ten days or so to make their destination.

Boolit Buddy

I had a package shipped 10/13 Fed Ex. FE left it at the wrong post office. No phone calls from anyone. It was picked up by the addresse on 10/29 after an exhaustive search.

Boolit Master
    I am a new member so don't hold that against me . But honest is honest if you would take a penny you would take a million. a lot of people can justify shade deals in their minds . So Just give him a call ( if he is a stand up guy he will get on it and make it right ) . I hope he is a stand up fella.

Boolit Master

On a few occassions it has taken me 4-7 days to get by the USP Office to get a MO and get it sent off and I've got a PO 3 miles from me that is open 24-7. Working 10-12 hrs a day in the trades leaves me very little motivation and energy at the end of the day.

Had a AA 50 Beowulf Upper take 28 days from TX to AK. As usual, sent USPSMO and got a PM Received. Nothing for two weeks, alittle nervous, week three unnerving, begining week 4 PM with no response so alittle detective work and find his place of employement and hold for 30 days. Day 28 it arrives postdated 2 days after MO arrived. Oh, no tracking on package, 4th class. In the future on major trades made a mental note to request tracking even if extra for piece of mind. Lesson learned.

I've only been hear about a year but find it refreshing to see folks trading and shipping freely. I would comply with the practice here but I'm generally a hoarder and not a seller. I would not be comfortable with the practice on other forums I frequent.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had a red label FedEx take 16 days from Arkansas to Nevada once .

I also had my post office fail to notify me of a package and as it turned out when I did get the package at the counter it was marked as received and posted 9 days prior .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

My goodness!
    if you think you waited long enough then a call is not out of order.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters