RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Thinking...paper patching?

Boolit Master

Thinking...paper patching?

I hope you folks don't mind a little background...I've recently procured what has become my favorite rifle, a Lyman 1878 (Pedersoli-Sharps 1877). The Pedersoli is of shockingly good quality with a forged receiver and a cut rifled barrel. I have more than a couple 45/70's so that particular cartridge is pretty pedestrian to me so I decided to do something a little weird with the Lyman. I had it rechambered to 450 Nitro Express. I would have liked to had it in 450/400 Nitro Express like my Ruger No.1 but I didn't want to have to go the whole new barrel route. All that's required to go from 45/70 to 450 NE is setting back the barrel a thread or so and hit it with a finish reamer...Ok, why did I do it? I love British African cartridges, always have. Shockingly enough, its worked out great. That's about it.

I've been thinking of trying paper patching. I've been casting for years but never got into paper patched bullets. I typically use AA-5744 and closed cell foam rope filler when I use smokeless powder.

I guess what I'm looking for is some opinions on the primary advantages to paper patch bullets might offer for my particular situation.
    [

Boolit Master
    Well, paper patches will allow you to use much more powder and avoid leading, while looking considerably more handsome while doing it.

Other than that, not a damn thing.

I have never seen the Lyman rifle but it is my impression that it is a light rifle - not something I would want to touch off with a 450 nitro cartridge. But it's your shoulder.

Boolit Grand Master

First off Ive load black powder under my Paper patched bullets so I cant be help there. What style paper patched bullet are yo going to use, groove dia or slightly over or a bore rider? Goove dias may be up to .460 dia and load to basicly the same depth as grease grooved bullets. Bore riders are .450 or under depending on bore and can be loaded way out into the barrel increasing powder charge ( with black powder not so sure of smokless here) and starting the bullet outi thebore and obtration expands bullet up to engage rifling. A patched bullet done correctly loses its patch at the muzzle exit, confetti and under wraps should be found 4-8 feet in front of the muzzle. A spotter can see them floating down. You need to find the proper bullet dia paper combination so that 2 wraps equals the dia you want. My slick mould for 45 cal is .442-.443 dia brooks mould. with 2 wraps of seth cole paper it comes out to .449 or so. This bullet is seat 3/16-1/4" into case o a stack of wads. While it deals with true black powder Randolph S Wrights book Loading and SHooting the paper patched bullet a beginiers quide is very good as to making and wraping the bullets. Your patch should make 2 layers of paper with the ends just shy of meeting (.030 shy works for me) to close or overlapped leaves a ridge on side of bullet. Angled ends on patch can be 30-45* but should match pretty close, cut paches are actually a parrallelagram. As to fillers and airspace Im not sure with smokeless. Black powder you want a compressed charge that with all components ( over powder wad grease cookie under bullet wad and bullet that leaves a solid stack up no air space in the case. I would recomend picking up Wrights book, Paul Matthews books ( his do deal with loading smokless more) and Theres a small one by Loomis available thru SHiloh SHarps also.

If you want to keep it British and be able to shoot any powder- Black, Smokeless or ?? get a .454 dia PP bullet and patch to Groove. Best thing about Paperpatch , is it pretty much eliminates the leading problems unless you really screw up.

Boolit Buddy
    if it is the 450 x 3 1/4 nitro, it is also the 450 x 3 1/4 black powder express.
    a 300 to 350 gn patched to groove bullet would be correct.
    this should be loaded on top of a grease wad as was general for black powder expresses.
    the English black powder expresses were expected to fire up to about 10 shots before requiring a clean according to Stonehenge.
    there was great debate in the day as to whether the 40 or 45 cal expresses were superior for deer.
    the 450 was extremely popular for deer, and bigger calibres were used on bigger game.
    have fun with this gun.
    it should have a good point blank range for a black powder cartridge, as it will move those express bullets along and then some.
    keep safe,
    bruce.