Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Shaving

Boolit Buddy

Shaving

I don't care much for shaving but everytime I look in the mirror I see a little bit of my Pop. Coming up on a year since he passed so I decided to go as he taught me all over again.

Not happy paying even Wal-Mart prices for fancy blades anymore. I find myself running them high tech blades way to long cause they're so costly.

So ordered a Merkur simple Double Edge razor, got a bunch of Wilkinson DE blades CHEAP and ordered a new boar brush from Portugal. Been whipping up lather in a mug since Dad taught me to cut my first whisker over 40 years ago. Yea, there was blood involved. The brush is pushing 15 years so could use a new one...

Any one else doing double edge and brush any more?

Any tough straight razor users out here too?
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Moderator Emeritus

Electric rechargeable for me for the last 20 years. Employer demands I am clean shaven for hazmat duties. It is just too fast and easy to go electric.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I've been using a Merkur for about 6 years. Like you I got tired of the price of expensive blades. I have a drug store near me that carry Wilkerson double edge for a whopping price of $1.04 for a 5 pack. I'm perfectly happy with my old school shave. At the price of these blades it wouldn't break the bank to Chang every week but I don't find it necessary. I can easily go 2 or 3 weeks before needing to change. I may have to try the brush and soap for lather, I currently use a tube of cream from WalMart.

wcp
    Last edited by wcp4570; 10-31-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wcp4570 View Post
    I've been using a Merkur for about 6 years. Like you I got tired of the price of expensive blades. I have a drug store near me that carry Wilkerson double edge for a whopping price of $1.04 for a 10 pack. I'm perfectly happy with my old school shave. At the price of these blades it wouldn't break the bank to Chang every week but I don't find it necessary. I can easily go 2 or 3 weeks before needing to change. I may have to try the brush and soap for lather, I currently use a tube of cream from WalMart.

wcp
    That's what I'm after right there wcp4570!!

I was curious about creams so watched a youtube vid on whipping up yogurt like lather in a mug with cream. Dang that looked kinda fun! Might have to try that...

Always used a boar brush instead of badger. I know, badger sounds a lot better than boar, eh! Found an outfit that seems to get a thumbs up on their boar: Semogue. Most are around $20, if it lasts another 15 or so years, that'll be good. Ordered a 610 model FWIW off ebay.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Master
    Back when I was shaving(pre 1973), I used a straight razor. What I started with. I still have it and one of my brothers.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    Back when I was shaving(pre 1973), I used a straight razor. What I started with. I still have it and one of my brothers.
    swamp
    swamp:

If I had to shave with a straight razor I'd proabably given up in 1973 too!

Learning on a "safety" razor as a kid with the usual assorted zits, well I sure didn't need no leeches for blood letting...
    Last edited by ol skool; 10-28-2015 at 12:55 AM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I'm lazy and only shave every couple months. I just buzz my whiskers every week with the clippers when I buzz my head.

When I do shave I use a brush and soap cup and a double edge shaver. I bought enough blades to more than last the rest of my life.

Boolit Master
    1973 I got out of the army. The first time I had to use a "safety razor"(had to use in basic) cut the snot out of myself.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    1973 I got out of the army. The first time I had to use a "safety razor"(had to use in basic) cut the snot out of myself.
    swamp:

LMAO!
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master
    I think everybody cut the snot out of themselves in boot camp, no matter what they learned to shave with.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    The combo I use is a Merkur and a badger brush from Dr.Conk. There is a forum called badgerandblade.com that deals with shaving. I don't use fancy shaving soap. When the Dial bath soap gets too small in the shower I put it in my shaving mug. On the shaving forums they say to use witch hazel on your face after shaving but none of that stuff works for me. I wack the whiskers then use a plain alcohol based after shave, usually Old Spice sometimes Clubman's Pinaud.
    I like the KISS principle in all my dealings... Keep It Simple Stupid.

Boolit Master

Been using a Merkur 1904 open comb DE with Atra blades to shine up the chrome dome for almost two years now. Got a bad 4pk of M3s that skinned me. Went through three blades in the shower before I pulled out my dull straight and gave up.

Ended up sharpening up the straight and started using it again on my face. I can get 2 days outta a straight shave as with a M3 it was a daily chore. Used a straight from 85 to 95 when I got out of the service and it was a long learning curve on your own perticularly with sharpening and maintaing the edge. Now with all the forums, the tips and techniques are easy to find and can make anyone into a straight shaver in a few weeks. The big thing with a straight as all razors is it has to be hanging hair sharp. If its dull, it'll pull, you'll add move pressure, a more aggressive blade angle which will reult in razor burn. I'm using a basic Dovo for now but looking at a new U.S. manufacturer, Portland Razor for a french point.

Brushes, I'm pretty fond of Omega. Got a 599 silvertip badger for travel. Its a small brush but packs alot of performance and minimal outley for a really nice badge that can fit into a small pill bottle for travel and a 10098 boar for a daily driver cheap and a monster. For soaps I like the Tabac as a cake soak and just picked up another three crops, of those the Vulvalux Italian Lime and Cella are excellent.
    Last edited by Greg S; 10-28-2015 at 02:32 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Used to use a brush and mug, it works very well, but just took a bit more time than I was
    interested in committing to the process. Still have the stuff, use it every once in a while, just
    for old time's sake.

I suggest Edge shaving gel, AFTER my morning shower, and the cheapest two blade throwaway razors
    you can find, like $3 for a dozen Schick razors. I get at least two months shaving from each one,
    so only spend $3 every other year. I get great shaves with Edge AFTER a shower, and have for
    many decades, after a friend pointed out that the shower before shaving would make the beard
    far softer and easier to shave than without the shower. Can't remember the last time I cut myself,
    either.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Shaving after a shower is the only way to go. My beard is too tough and just destroys a blade if I don't. Astra DE blades are $18.00/100 and I change them out on sunday night. The best thing about a DE/straight is they don't plug up like a 2,3 or 5 blade cartridge. I can't believe that you can get that many comfortable shave from one of those BIC type razors. I could barely get through one.

You think Edge is good, try a $10 boar brush and some Cella or Vulvilux Lime cream. Lifes too short.

I can verify that Swamp is a whiskery feller!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    .... can't believe that you can get that many comfortable shave from one of those BIC type razors. I could barely get through one.

You think Edge is good, try a $10 boar brush and some Cella or Vulvilux Lime cream. Lifes too short.

Had the same issue with disposables, hamburger face... Trouble with the mutiblade, turbo, lube strip **** is all the whiskers that clog it up and dull it in a shave or two. On purpose I suspect...

Thx for the soap suggestions. Figured out how to make Williams work fine for 99 cents a puck, but would like to try some good hard soap for fun.
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Yea, that Williams will were you out, Lol. I tried one Mitchells Wool Fat with simular results but folks swear by it. Might be the hard water here. Tabac is easier to lather for a hard and the others are a soft soap and easy to load/lather.

Those multi blade cartridges, its a conspiracy I tell ya. And we just line right up and buy them.

Boolit Master

I don't remember the guys name but while in the service,this guy had to shave in the morning and again at noon to keep certain AH's from chewing on him for not shaving.Little to the extreme but that is the way he had to do it.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I use a double edge razor I purchased off E Bay, it's a Lord brand imported from Egypt, blades I order also from E Bay, they come from Russia.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I like the disposable triples they are really smooth and last a long time.