RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Porta Band Saw Stand

Porta Band Saw Stand

I started building these 15 years ago when I was a Winston Cup fabricator and thing you guys would like to check it out! The nice thing about this design is that you don't have to remove the saw to change the blades. It bolts to your work bench or clamp it in your vise. You just ty-rap the saw switch down and plug it into the foot switch. It will handle stock up to 4 3/4"! You wouldn't believe how versatile this thing is set up this way! We'll be selling the stands for $85.00 and the foot switch for $70. Please include phone number for UPS shipping.
    PAT PENDING!
    Thanks
    Mark

Fab Shop Inc
    P.O. Box 826
    Pound, Virginia

276-796-5919
    276-796-5917 FAX
    fabshopinc1@verizon.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Porta Band Stand 005.jpg   Porta Band Stand 007.jpg   Porta Band Foot Switch 004.jpg  
    Ability isn't being able to do something once or twice. Ability is being able to perform upon demand!

Any??

Any feedback??
    Ability isn't being able to do something once or twice. Ability is being able to perform upon demand!

Super Moderator

................It's a neat looking deal for a vertical bandsaw, or to utilize a portable bandsaw.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

How is the saw fastened to the fabricated mount and will this work with Porter Cable saws or only with Millwaulke?
    Dan

Sawa

AS of now the Milwaukee #6236 Deep throat but we have Dewalt and Porter Cable on the way so we can make it fit all of the different brands.

Thanks
    Mark

Mounting!

I forgot to show how it's mounted! The 3 blade guard mounting screws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Porta%20Band%20Stand%20005.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Are you still doing these?

tagged for later.

What would you cut with it that a chop saw won't do faster or cleaner.

I'm guessing if you wanted to "rip" down a piece of steel or aluminum. Say all you had around in your shop was 1/4" plate that was 5 inches wide and 3 foot long.

However, all you really needed was something 4 inches wide, but still 3 foot long.

Or say if you took that same plate and needed a U shaped notch in it.

So you drill a 1.5" hole a foot in from one end... so you got the bottom curved part of the U started... so then you cut in the two vertical legs of the U an inch and a half apart.

The other nice thing versus a chop saw is NO sparks. I have too many solvents and too much sawdust in my shop to want to make sparts...or sling sparks everywhere.

For $150 you can buy a piece of 4" flat bar 20' long and have $120 change and 17' left over. And porta bands work good on pipe but tend to hunt about on long cuts on flat stock.

Boolit Master

4x6 H/V floor mounted band saws are only $150.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well its a good ideal for people that make alot of stuff out of steel and dont have a metal bandsaw. You always are not cutting stock in half but making notches half angles or other cuts that you need. But being a guy that makes alot of his own stuff like most do that would want one they most likely will make one for there selfs. But for the ones that dont have the time or tools to make it not a bad deal and good ideal. Hats off to you sir.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Back when I was in the Air Force, there was this manual around. I think it was called 1-1 ... or one dash one.

In it, it described some of the more Clausewitz-ian principles of war...oh, I don't know...like having the element of surprise.

Anywhooo... one of the key buzzwords brought up in the manual was the concept of "force multiplier". For example, our Air Force's fleet of aerial refueling tankers is a "force multiplier". I am also thinking that our stealth technology was a force multiplier.

So using that analogy... any tool or a jig/fixture that attaches to another tool to make it more useful is a "force multiplier".

You get to squeeze out a little more bang for your buck. You get to make a tool more versatile.

In my little shop, I only have a 13 foot by 22 foot space to work in...so...just 286 feet.

It has the following tools crammed in it:

1. 10" Delta Unisaw with 50 something inch fence(side feed table and outfeed table)

2. Delta drum sander (thicknessing sander to a degree)

3. Parks 12 inch jointer/planer (no really it is a jointer and also a planer

4. General 18" woodworking bandsaw

5. General floor model drill press

6. Delta woodworking lathe

7. Delta 6 inch X 48 inch belt / 12 inch disc sander

8. KEI drum mounted dust collector

9. DeWalt 12" compound miter saw

Plus a couple of lawnmowers (freakin' lawn mowers... )

So fitting something like this:

or even something like this:

is out of the question.

I could just put a portaband up on a shelf or in a cabinet, along with that stand.

the reason I tagged this for later originally is because...I reckon it is something I could make just as easily myself...versus spending $150 for it and having it shipped to me.

That is one of the downsides of posting something like that on this website:

1. one we are resourceful can-do people

2. we are cheap

3. we are problem solving, mechanically inclined people

And the OP should have figured that out on his own already.

Boolit Master

1. one we are resourceful can-do people

2. we are cheap

3. we are problem solving, mechanically inclined people
    Yep, me three.

I have limited space and I do own a Dewalt portable band saw.

Bliksem

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well Russel Nash I notice on your tool list no welder no torch no bandsaw you sure better be resourcefull. Just messing with you bud I was more or less pointing out this guy was offering something up for the site and did not need a bunch pointing out all the reasons they did not need one, there are some that like yourself benifet from a jig like that and thats why he was offering it. But with all the post saying why would i want one when i could use this or that Iam sure would slow others that may want one from speaking up feeling like they would be made fun of or whatever. I like the way you showed another reason for needing one. Well maybe I need to keep my mouth shut but sometimes it gets to be too much glad I dont look at all the post.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

No, The point was it won't work well.

I work with these tools every day. At work and at home. A portaband is a great tool because it is portable.

Banned

I think that is a down right usefull tool, specially for a guy that does not have much shop space, and works out in the field.

Being able to put a table bandsaw on a shelf or in a cabinet, or throw it in the back of a pickup when done is awesome.

Your price is very reasonable. I would look for other types of forums in different fields to market it. Home repair handyman- motorcycle, 4x4 truck guys, solar energy systems installations, come to mind.

[Follow the guys with money and no extra time to make it on their own]
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 12-12-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Good Lord that looks like a hair away from an ER trip.