Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tried a cross bow this year

Just make sure your thumb stays below the string. I can tell you from experience it is painful and expensive. Granted I have unusually large hands.

You would think all the lawyer stuff in the manual in big bold letters would have prevented it. You only make the mistake once and you will ask and answer this question every time. "Where is my thumb?" "My thumb is down".

Im not trying to disparage the use, just want other to learn from my mistake. It isn't easy to post in a public forum you were dumb enough to do it!

Ended up buying the Barnet Recruit package deal at Bass Pro. Fund to shoot! Hunted a few times with it but no luck yet.

Boolit Mold
    Do to injuries I started hunting with one this year. I really like it and it has served me well. I have shot 1 doe with it and it was a pass through and she went about 80 yards. I got a Excalibur because it is simple to work on. I really like it and it has saved my bow season.

Boolit Master

Missouri will allow any archer to use a crossbow this year and a buddy of mine (Bongo) needed to sell his wifes Ten Point Titan Xtreme because it was just too heavy for her. She had shoulder surgery and the extra weight was just a bit too much. I think it is supposed to be about 8 1/2 lbs. or so without a quiver, etc. and that is plenty heavy, but I won't be packing one very far. Shoots well over 300 fps and has the crank cocking. I think I will like it. They are expensive.

Crawdaddy, you are certainly correct about keeping your fingers and thumbs below the string. I have another buddy that just bought a crossbow himself and he came over and looked at mine just after I got it and we discussed the controversy going on about lawsuits of people shooting their thumbs off and trying to collect from the bow companies. Well the next week, he shot his thumb with his Barnett Wildcat. He did not lose the thumb, but it certainly was banged up bad enough that he will remember to keep it down from now on. I would think that any bow company would love to sell or possibly give away a safety device to help with that problem. My Ten Point has a clear plastic finger guard installed from the factory. I suspect they seen the handwriting on the wall of lawsuits in the making. I don't know if anyone has won a case yet, but with the way things are going these days with no one being held responsible for their own actions, it is just a matter of time I would think.

I had to give up bow hunting several years back because I just was not able to pull a decent bow back and hold it anymore due to back/shoulder problems. I had hunted since the late 60's first with a 62" Ben Pearson recurve and then with a Browning compound. I loved to bow hunt, but sadley gave it all up and donated all my bows and gear including my tree stands to a raffle for a family that lost their house to a house fire. Guess I will now have to get myself a climbing tree stand. Summit Viper SD I think will suit me just fine.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Wisconsin opened it up last year. I have no disabilities except I love to try new things and I love to hunt. I have shot Traditional Longbows and Recurves for many years since mid sixties. I still do but purchased a really nice KodaBow great simple American made Crossbow made by the skilled hands of American workers the owner is a great guy CS is second to none.