RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: dillon conversions

Boolit Master

dillon conversions

i just got my first dillon. i have been on a Lee loadmaster for several years. Got to looking at the cost of all the [extras heads, cal changes case feed etc] that could run thousands. so i did what anyone would do looked at how to cut the BS and cost. here is what i found casefeeder about $30 will do all cal conversions for 5 cal total about $250 there is a lot of things that you dont need in those kits the heads may have a place if you jump to several different cal but i can switch dies in about 5 min if you would like to know what i did send a PM and will go though what i have found out rick

Boolit Buddy
    You can save a bit by not buying a complete caliber change kit - where cases have the same head dimensions you need not purchase the shell holder disc or the alignment pins - only the expander/powder charge tube. Some of these can be used within the same bullit diameter cartridges that have slightly different length cases by adjusting the die height.

Moderator Emeritus
    Shotman,

I would be interested in what you did...

As Hyoder said, you can buy the individual kit components from Dillon. They provide a caliber conversion chart so you can identify the pieces you need.

John

Boolit Master

the shell plate is the only thing that needs to be the same cal the funnel/exp will cover several like 380 though 357 and 45 acp to 460 the shell feed is the most expensive i got a new one from Lee and made a bracket and used the 460 bushing with a hose clamp that adjusts to shell height the shell locator only need to be for largest you load i used the 45 colt a 9mm will feed every time on it [Lee dont have one] the pins are a pain i used the Lee and a screw works on all the only othe thing is the case feed bushing you need one for t he 380 or 9mm 38 to 460 will feed through the large i will get some pic of my set up and post over the week end have $250 in all parts to load 9mm to 460 in pistol shotman/rick

One epxnese that is totally uneccesary is their strong mounts.A good SOLID bench made tall enough will suffice.I hae three presses on my solid-core door bench,and they've worked fine for years without buying their strong mounts.
    You can alos get by without paying extra for their roller handle. I did buy that one,but not sure I'd do it again.

I do agree about just changnig dies when changing calibers.Under 3 minutes to swap out dies.

Boolit Mold
    Since I don't think I need anymore caliber change kits, I'll tell you how I got mine off list.
    1st. Know what you need and what it would cost retail + shipping and tax if applicable.
    2nd. Find the item on ebay and bid what you are comfortable with considering the cost in no. 1. example: If total cost retail = 45.00 delivered I'd bid 40.00 delivered. If I got it, great. If not keep looking, It was not the only one made.

I have equipped my 550 for about 10 calibers by doing this and also looking for the odd piece such as a powder funnel to expand a set I already have. This has saved me ~20% over retail.

Not like free but it has helped.

Also look for folks listing stuff that they don't know. I bought a set of hornady carbide dies for 10mm/40sw that no one was bidding on because they were listed only as 10 mm.
    Last edited by mechdriver; 04-10-2008 at 03:20 PM.

I lucked out and picked up a Dillon 550 with 12 complete caliber change overs (Powder measures and all) at an estate sale. I got a SH*%load of reloading and casting stuff for $800 cash. I sold off what I didn't need or already had for $1200, so I got paid $400 to take the stuff. I already had another 550, and a SDB. (Along with a Lyman Turret, Rockchucker, and a few other Lee single stage presses) Changing over from one caliber to another takes about 3 minutes, and everything stays in adjustment. I wish I could find another deal like that.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Master

the one thing i like the best is the shell feed this is the same that is on the Lee load master it took me about 1/2 hour to make a bracket it bolts through the hole that is used for the curved tube is about 3/4 in over the top of the plactic shell adapter have not had a feed problem yet and only cost about $25 and will work with all shells rick

Cast Boolits Owner

Shotman,

Can you provide pics?

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

will try to get some pic asap i have this problem that everything does not stay in the proper place so need to clean up a bit shotman/rick