RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Heavier coat for store bought boolits

Heavier coat for store bought boolits

I am in the process of trying to find the right combo for my 1894 to shoot accurately.
    Any that being said I have a bunch of boolits I bought to try. The point being. I cast using the Lee TL mold for my .357 and they come out great!. I realize the "normal" boolits are designed for grease groves. When I TL them with PC they coat rather thin as thought they are to smooth to take the powder coating. Is there a method I can use to allow the PC to adhere a little thicker. I am trying not to have to use the PC gun from HF only because of the mess.

thanks
    Last edited by thumbs; 10-24-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Tumble and bake twice. Or even three times. Until you get the thickness you want.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

+1 what beagle said. I've taken a 9mm to a 357 mag with 2 coats and no problems. you might want to size sometimes as you go so as to keep your boolits round. just keep going bigger size dies until you get there.

Boolit Master
    Try casting your boolits Hot, so they are starting to Frost.
    It will give you a rougher surface , if you think the slick boolits is your issue.
    I cast, Size S&B, then Size .
    Then I S&B one more time and do a final sizing.
    It is a lot of steps, but I hardly have th time to set up my HF spray rig unless I am doing a whole Gaggle of Boolits all at once, like 500 or more.

Thanks I don't have problem with "my" cast bullets it's the store bought ones. I am testing to try to find out what mold I need and want to try the store bought ones first.

This is want I am doing as we speak. They should be just about cooked. Since the surface is to slick I started putting BB's in to see if it would increase the static or maybe scratch or ever so slightly dimple the boolits to allow the powder to hold. That really didn't work. I then sprayed the boolits with break cleaner allowed to dry a little then tried to coat them but that got a bit clumpy. I didn't want to wast the boolits so I mixed a little PC with break cleaner and dipped the boolits it the "paint" and cooked them. It did put on a thin coating that looked pretty good, Haven't taken them out to the oven yet to see.

Boolit Master

Asbbdt works great with the right combo of powders and bb's. Opaque bb's , prefer flat black, and either Smokes powders or one of the other proven powders (powder by the pound wet black for instance)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150207_214054.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	151805
    Smoke's pink, one coat ( don't forget the violent up/down shake, this is the key to heavy coverage)
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Thanks. Yeah my Lee tl mold works great with pc just tumbling in a butter tub. The problem is the store boughts seem to be to slick to hold the PC..
    Anyway just pulled them out of the oven after using the wet pc coating. They look pretty darn good. The only thing is they didn't get pc ed in the grease groves but they are on the entire outside of the boolit. I think they are worth a try. Can't give any formal as to the wet coating just played with it. I had to find a way that these bullets could be pc ed. Coating them wet and putting them in the oven seems to work.
    Tried the other day to find the plastic BB's but so far can't find them.
    This is just a temp. fix. Once I find the right diameter bullet I'll get a mold and cast. Like was stated above a little hotter than normal to get the frosting on them. Wish they made the Lee tl mold a bit bigger say .432 or .433. Oh well

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Wet works too. When I first started coating, the original guys were using a wet process called "Piglet" for coating, which was just dissolving the powder in a little bit of acetone or thinner and tumbling/swirling in a tub or can until the liquid evaporated. It didn't coat inside the grooves either, but you already know that doesn't matter. It worked pretty well too. It was a bit messy and smelly, but it did work well and shot very good and didn't require any static cling to get the powder to stick.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Nice Beagle, I never got piglet to work for me.