MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: pyrodex vs triple seven

Boolit Mold

pyrodex vs triple seven

Hi all. What is the difference between prodex and triple 7 are is there any orther then the price. Thanks Kevin
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy too tote

In my experience, Pyrodex residue is very difficult to clean.
    Triple Seven is extremely easy to clean up after, just wipe with a damp patch.

I will never again use Pyrodex. If I can't get real black powder, I wouldn't hesitate to use Triple Seven.

Perm-Banned
    pyrodex isnt as nearly accurate as triple 7 in most guns. pyrodex will rust your gun out more that any thing out their if not cleaned properly. triple 7 seem to have clean bores except in the breeches of some guns which can have a brunt sugar hard ring that is very hard to get out. try blackhore 209 if you have 209 shotgun primer ignition as it is very very clean and very very accurate. noth more accurate than real black except that the 209 powder is just as accurate.

Boolit Man
    I used pyrodex for decades not knowing any better or having any other choice.
    Tried T7 a few years ago and I'll never go back. Fires off great and doesn't rust my guns if I miss a spot when cleaning.

Boolit Master
    If Pyrodex was so good, why did Hodgdon develop 777?

I agree that if I was not able to get real black powder that my first choice will be 777 powder not the pellets.

Boolit Master
    I greatly dislike the sticky fouling Pyrodex leaves. It also corrodes much quicker and worse than BP as was shown in a test in which a pile of BP, Pyrodex, and T7 were lit on steel plates and left in a humid garage for about 4 days. T7 was almost pristine after clean up. Pyrodex was much more pitted and nasty.

I use more energetic powders (hunter) and so I buy 3F Olde Eynsford and Triple 7 which give very similar results (by volume). I use this between my two .44/.45 cal revolvers and .50 cal rifle.

Banned
    I used Pyro p with good luck and accuracy for a long time in .50 and .54 caplocks.I never experienced any of horror stories I heard.
    I like 777 pretty well to though.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never had any problems with Pyro either. All guns need to be cleaned and cleaned good anyway. I have 777 but have yet to try it.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned
    777 works nice.I like the fff in my old army and 45g with patched ball in .50 caplocks.I just use WD 40 sparingly for clean up.

Oil and black powder make sludge, you want to avoid sludge

The fake stuff worked so badly, I gave it away and ordered in 10lbs of holy black.
    Life is too short to fake it
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I tried T7 and will never go back to Pyrodex. Never. I'm shooting an NEF Huntsman .50 with 250 grain Lee REAL boolits, using bore butter on the boolits and in the bore. Accuracy is way better and T7 has more energy, 70 grains of T7 shoots like 90 grains of Pyrodex. I can't believe how easy it cleans up. I still use hot soapy water and scrub the crud out of it, as Pyrodex trained me to do, but really a few wet patches would probably do the job just fine. The only concern I have noticed is reloads are a little more difficult, however they are not a problem by any means. My boolits have been age hardening awhile which could be the real cause of it.

When I went to buy powder for my Huntsman I thought I should at least give T7 a chance as it is way cheaper and easier to find than Blackhorn 209. Now, I'm not sure that I will even bother with BH unless the price comes down. Around here Pyrodex and T7 cost almost the same so I can't think of any reason to use Pyro unless you have a weird rifle that actually likes the stuff or it's midnight before opening day, you're out of powder, and that's all Walmart has in stock. I will admit Pyrodex P does shoot alot better than RS but that's the only thing good I can think of.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Did some more shooting with T7 yesterday. Accuracy was excellent and clean up was easy with hot water. I also notice there is less fouling getting blown into the action of my rifle. Good stuff, hopefully I can try it on a live target during our upcoming muzzleloader season.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I can't help myself. It seems after muzzleloader season Pyrodex gets put on clearance so I have a good stock of it. I use it for practice and other light load work.

My main powder for serious hunting and shooting is FFG 777. I am a hand loader (have been for 31 years) so I have most of the toys that go along with it.

I can tell you without a doubt that 100gr volume of FFG 777 produces more velocity in a 50 cal than Pyrodex RS or holy black. Using a 385gr Hornady great plains bullet 100gr of holy black FFG produced 1325f/s from a T/C Renegade

100gr loose FFG 777 with the same bullet shoots 1675f/s

All other comments posted above about clean up has been my experience as well. That being Pyrodex is not much cleaner burning or easier to clean than black powder and 777 burns almost as clean as smokeless and cleans with a simple wet patch.

During hunting season if I discharge my ML with the intention of using it again during that season and am using 777 I can clean it with 2 patches. 1 damp one one dry one. Try that with Pyrodex or holy black !!!!!

Motor

Boolit Master

Pyrodex works just fine in my Encore 209 x 50 this is at 100'Attachment 158331
    150gr 250gr shock wave
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

I love Pyrodex. Not to shoot but it has provided me with a cheap source for parts guns. Last time I shoot it was in the mid-70 when it first came out. Preferred real black. The last seven muzzleloaders that went through my hands had been fired with Pyrodex and not cleaned. The barrels were junk but the rest of the parts sold well on ebay or they were Remington 700 ML's that got rebarreled for smokeless.

One of the rifles came with some Pyrodex pellets that I may shoot. Pyrodex has been used for a long time and it works but you have to be aware that it is far more corrosive that real black.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-16-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Most people aren't aware the Pyrodex is basically black powder with Potassium Perchlorate added. Here is the MSDS http://blogs.nwic.edu/rocketteam/fil...09/Pyrodex.pdf

Boolit Bub
    Being first a muzzle loading, flintlock shooter, I have never been a fan of any of the black powder substitutes, but when I moved over to BP cartridge, I do like it, seems to be a bit easier to clean (especially the cases), I have used regular Pyrodex as well as the ctg granulation and 777. Like before mentioned, 777 is by far the easiest to clean up after, but I find it to be a bit hotter that Pyrodex. I use about 5 grains less for that reason.