RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: New at it.

Boolit Mold

New at it.

Using a small electric pot that pours out of the top and wheel weights to attempt pouring some .312 185 gr. bullets for my Argentine Mauser 1891. Must be doing something wrong, these things have more wrinkles and defects than my highly abused 57 year old face. I had poured some 50 cal 320 gr. REAL bullets with the thing that were far from perfect but would shoot okay. Just melted those down today and tried again pouring them into the Mauser mold and still they are far from perfect. I get the feeling the metal is not hot enough and is hardening up before it fills the mold. Out of ever 10+ bullets poured it seems I get one that is acceptable. Any ideas as to where I am screwing up! Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Your mold isn't hot enough. Get a small hot plate and heat your mold while your lead melts. Mine is a 1000 watt plate, I set it on Medium to warm the mold.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Mold
    Okay, thanks edler7, will do that next round. Going hunting this weekend and upon return will set about trying yet again.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    If you get one with a coil type element, a 3/8 or 1/2" slab of aluminum or an old circular saw blade on the element spreads out the heat and makes it easier to set your mold on.
    The enemy of good is better.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Master

+1 on hot plate suggestion, made all the difference in my casting.
    God Bless, Whisler

Banned

in the meantime just heat the mold up by sitting it on the corner of your pot while it warms up.
    then dip a corner of the mold in the alloy for a few seconds [10-15] then start casting.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    in the meantime just heat the mold up by sitting it on the corner of your pot while it warms up.
    then dip a corner of the mold in the alloy for a few seconds [10-15] then start casting.
    + 1, it doesn't take long, your mould will be too hot if you leave it there to long.

Boolit Master
    Just checking; you are leaving the dipper in the melt so that it is same temp. as the alloy? When correct temp is reached, the sprue will nearly all flow back into the melt and be very thin. With correct melt temp.; the aluminum mould will be ready and casting unwrinkled boolits within 5 or 6 casts even if it starts at ambient temperature; at least that's been my experience.