Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Flat point boolits, flat top punch?

Boolit Master

Flat point boolits, flat top punch?

I've been getting ring imprints on the noses of my flat-nosed boolits when putting them through the Lubrisizer. They are the correct punches for the boolits, and I'm just wondering why a fella wouldn't be able to use a flat top punch for a flat top boolit? They do this with seating punches for dies, why not sizing dies?

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I took a brass bolt, cut it off and filed the top flat. Mounted it in my lube-sizer and lube most boolits with it. Only ones that I use a nose punch with are the round nose boolits.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a top punch with a flat wider than the meplat of the bullet I am lubing. Works great.

Shiloh

Boolit Master
    I kinda figured that was the case; thanks guys!
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Le Loup Solitaire

Flat top punches

I use a flat top punch to seat flat point bullets in all calibers all of the time. Doesn't make much difference. The punch and the bullet go down...the bullet is sized and lubed and comes back up out of the die. If the diameter of the flat punch is larger than the mouth of the sizing die and the boolit has to be pushed deeper into the die then a smaller diameter flat punch has to be swapped in to allow that to happen. Conversely if a smaller diameter flat punch die is used and the boolit is a bit soft(er) then the punch may leave a ring mark/impression on the flat portion(meplat) of the boolit. It doesn't have any effect on the performance of the boolit in flight. Using a flat punch on a round nose boolit usually swages a small "flat" on the tip of the nose and that doesn't seem to make much difference in the aerodynamics either. Some folks who load for tubular mag style rifles like that because it enables them to not risk getting into trouble with primers getting set off by accident. LLS