Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about cast bullets in 308 Winchester

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carstensxd45 View Post
    Wow, definately got more help than some other forums I have tried. Let me add some info:
    1. Mold is a Lee double cavity ctl312 - 160-2r
    2. Diameter is .312 from the mold
    3. Weight is 160 grains
    4. I do expand the case mouth to accept the bullet
    5. I also do drop the rounds directly from the mold into a bucket of water
    6. Powders I have available - Bullseye, Unique, Blue Dot, Green Dot, Power Pistol, IMR4064, IMR4198, have a good supplier so a different powder is available, if needed
    7. Alloy is 75% Wheel weight lead, 25% pure lead

Hope this additional info will help. Appreciate all the help and suggestions
    That particular boolit shoots exceedingly well in both my 308 bolt action and 30/30 lever action. The muzzle velocity in the 308 is about 1900 fps. using 19 gr of 2400 (if memory serves). Make sure your gas check stays inside the neck when you seat the boolit, of course. I have also had good accuracy using 4198 and RE-7 for the same velocity. As Goodsteel said, you don't need jacketed velocities with cast boolits for excellent hunting results.

Boolit Master
    Unless I am trying to do something special. Like trying to get high velocity loads.
    I follow the keep it simple loading plan.
    I load ALL my 30 cal rifles with range scrap lead boolits sized to .310, gas checked and lubed with what ever is in the sizer.
    I load them ahead of 2400, RL-7, 4227, or 5744
    I load them to get 1700 fps and be happy

Boolit Bub
    Got my Lyman s cast bullet Manuel, check out the group, light years better
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447180706798.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	153028

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Cast Bullet Manual.....that's the ticket !
    Now that target look a whole lot better.
    Gary

Boolit Bub
    Well, finally get my 308 load straightened out. Used IMR 4198, loaded up 5 rounds of each 1 grain increment, starting at 22 grains and going up 1 full grain each 5 round group, settled on 24.5 grains as my load, had the best group with good speed, 2005 fps, check out my targets, since my hunting area is only allowing about a 75 yard shot, I sighted the scope at 70 yards, these targets are from 60 yards out

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447794097546.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	153588
    24 grains

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447794136620.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	153590
    25 grains

My cost for each 308 round is about 17cents, I can practice a lot that cheap,
    Appreciate those who responded and tried to help

Boolit Bub
    They are so pretty

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447815769189.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	153624

Boolit Bub
    Just a quick note, used my new rounds to do some serious gong ringing at the 300 yard range yesterday, great fun at .17 cents per round

Boolit Grand Master

Don't sweat copper in the bore. Don't sweat alloy, wwts is fine. Fit grooves by using groove diam +.002 or .003. Use 10 gr or Unique, or 16 gr of 2400, any bullet wt you like. This WILL work.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    In addition to the good advise you've already received, having an absolutely clean bore is also something to keep in mind when switching from jacketed to cast.
    I was wondering about that. I started using cast in a 30-06 several years ago and advice I read somewhere said the barrel had to be clean of copper fouling. Boy is it trying to get rid of all that stuff in an old rifle. I used red dot and 4064 in those 30-06 loads. I also stuffed a quarter sheet of toilet paper down on the powder in each case. The Red Dot loads were about 1600 fps if I remember. I won't use it any more other than getting my grandson going with a rifle. I switched to 4064 trying to get to 2000 fps and it's right there! At 50 yds it shoots group's consistently under 1" but moving to 100 yds the group's go 2" +/-. Early effort with rifle casting and I didn't push going past 2000 fps. That would make a nice game load I think, oh, 177 gr Lee mold. I really worry about leading as years ago I bought some 41 mag lead loads that leaded the barrel badly. Do that one time and actually get the lead out and it will make you cautious!

A big thing for me with rifle cast loads was the loss of accuracy from jacketed bullet's. But out to 100 +/- yds, a 2" group will work fine. have a 308 I'm going to shoot them out of, Rem 788 with an 18" barrel. going back to jacketed with the 30-06, 03 Springfield by Paul Jaeger in 1945.

I did use Lee's book for some cast loads, mostly 4064 and I just don't have the gut's to go where he say's, again, I'm not into getting lead out of a barrel just for a few more fps!

Boolit Mold
    Referring to gas check boolits. It is my understanding that boolits come out of the barrel rotating at high speed and that the gas check is thrown off quickly in random directions. Comments?

haynk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by haynk View Post
    Referring to gas check boolits. It is my understanding that boolits come out of the barrel rotating at high speed and that the gas check is thrown off quickly in random directions. Comments?

haynk
    Nope.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Gas Checks are crimped on the boolit base and are supposed to stay there. If they come off, the round will be a flyer and not hit where you desire. The gas check rotates as fast as the boolit. The twist rate and boolit velocity determine the rotational velocity.

Ed C

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    That particular boolit shoots exceedingly well in both my 308 bolt action and 30/30 lever action. The muzzle velocity in the 308 is about 1900 fps. using 19 gr of 2400 (if memory serves). Make sure your gas check stays inside the neck when you seat the boolit, of course. I have also had good accuracy using 4198 and RE-7 for the same velocity. As Goodsteel said, you don't need jacketed velocities with cast boolits for excellent hunting results.
    "Make sure your gas check stays inside the neck when you seat the boolit, of course."

What happens if the gas check is below the neck? I'm shooting a C309-150-F in my 308, and in order to have all the lube covered by the neck, the gas check is or close to being below the neck.

I'm getting some funnies happening that I can't explain.

Banned

the check going into the neck can be pulled to the side giving you an angled base at the muzzle.
    or 'worse' [if that's possible] it flies off at random.
    I try to seat my boolits out and let them engage the rifling, a nice even [.001-.0015]engraving on the nose is preferred.

If you assume the GC is to eliminate gas cutting and lead is exposed to gas, it gets cut. At least keep the sides of the GC in the neck. High pressure loads can peen the GC into the shoulder, just like Pb.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Keep gas check in neck of case ,get better accuracy if I use heavy crimp with fcd .have never used fillers 2400 is my powder of choice .

Boolit Grand Master

I load for the 300 Savage and the check is almost always below the neck. It is what it is and there have been no detrimental effects. If you can keep it in the neck, great. But I don't worry about it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    Unless I am trying to do something special. Like trying to get high velocity loads.
    I follow the keep it simple loading plan.
    I load ALL my 30 cal rifles with range scrap lead boolits sized to .310, gas checked and lubed with what ever is in the sizer.
    I load them ahead of 2400, RL-7, 4227, or 5744
    I load them to get 1700 fps and be happy
    There's a lot to be said for this strategy! In a .30 caliber rifle you are going to find a velocity limit around 2000 fps due to the rpm/twist relationship (read http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...velocity-chart). Powder coating may exceed that threshold. Personally, I don't want to mess with PC, so I shoot my 30 cal's @18-1900 and enjoy it! The deer don't seem to mind that my bullets aren't Mach 2+!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Man
    My Lyman 311291 puts the check below the neck which I never cared for but never had a problem with it. The 311299 and RCBS 160 Sil doesn't, you might what to look at those two moulds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12