MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: loads for .458 winmag / Lott

Boolit Master

loads for .458 winmag / Lott

I just cast some 500gr gas checked projectiles that I'm hoping to use for my 458 Lott rifle, a Ruger SM. I fire either winmags or Lott in it ( after chamber cleaning )

Finally got tired of buying JSP for it.

Mine are somewhere around 16 to perhaps 18 bhn.

I have both copper and aluminum gas checks, but believe I prefer the copper.

I'm away from my Lyman cast handbook, but wanted to run something like imr 4064.

I believe I have read that 64gr max load will yield around 1850 fps

I saw load data for 4198 & 3031. 54 & 67 gr max loads, respectively, with fps 1900 & 2100 .

I'd prefer 4064 or 3031 I believe, but am open to discussion.

The projectiles are actually sizing and checking around 507 gr or so.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    I give the highest reccomendation to Accurate 2230. It is the best 458 powder there is . I cant recall the exact load off hand . I HATE 3031 in general and specifically in the 458. 4064 should work fine. Any of the 223 powders will work well in the 458 . For lighter than 400 gr and high velocity I like H 4198.
    Are you going to hunt with your cast load ? Dangerous game?
    You are being watched.

Banned

man that's a lot of powder to burn.
    20-22grs of 2400 will get you about the same thing.
    a little Dacron will help but isn't necessary.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Hodgdon shows data for the Win mag for 4064.

I havent shot cast in my 458s but over 30 years ago I was running 71 gr of 3031with 500 gr Hornady rnsp trying to beat 2100 fps. I hated that stuff. Never was able to beat 2100 fps. Tried others then discovered AAC 2230. With that powder I could easily get 2150 fps. And its not nearly max pressure.
    Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; 02-16-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    You are being watched.

Banned

22 grains of 2400 was my go to load with cast in my old #1. It was recommended to me by paco kelly years ago and if it was good enough for him...........
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    man that's a lot of powder to burn.
    20-22grs of 2400 will get you about the same thing.
    a little Dacron will help but isn't necessary.

For lighter loads I used 45-100 Ballard or 45-110 info in my Lott. Both have similar case dimensions and are low pressure. I have since sold my Lott, A Ruger #1. it was brutal to shoot, wrong stock shape for me.
    Last edited by stubert; 02-16-2017 at 09:42 AM.

I've never heard of the 2400 load for a 458. I just stuck with jacketed bullet data as that is what I was shooting. I did have a plinking load with a starting weight charge of 4198 and later Rl 7 . With a 350 gr plated bullet. It was great for off hand practice with mild recoil.
    You are being watched.

Banned

any 4570 data works for reduced level loads in a 458. Even fooled around a couple days using black powder 4570 loads in my #1. Don't ask why. I don't have a good answer for that one.

Back when I was young and felt indestructible, I owned a Winchester Model 70 African grade in 458 Win Mag. I loaded a lot of cast for it since the Jacketed rounds were so terribly expensive.
    For full power loads I used the 462560 which weighed about 540 grains cast from Linotype and a heavy charge of 3031.
    For "light" loads I used a 300-350 grain cast boolit with a light 45-70 charge.
    Both of these loads shot well.
    I didn't have the rifle long enough to do a lot of load development for different powders. The heavy magnum loads quickly showed me I wasn't in fact indestructible. This combination began to give me shoulder problems from the recoil after a very short time..
    Now I restrict myself to cartridges of 30-06 level or lower. These I can handle and shoot accurately without worrying about the pain from the recoil.

Launching the 500 + gr bullets from a wood stocked 458 @ bear max velocity is a moving experience. Very doable , but not if there are any shoulder problems.
    I have the (canoe paddle) Zytel nylon synthetic stock on my 458 and a muzzle brake similar to a KDF. It's not bad . I've had some wood stocked and a fiberglass stocked 458s. The wood stock transmits more recoil to the shoulder. I would like to get a more efficient muzzle brake for mine.
    I'm hoping for a relatively accurate 405 gr gc LFN cast load with a mv of around 2200 fps. Should be fairly easy shooting and still hit hard enough for a bear in the yard problem.
    You are being watched.