Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Progressive Reloading Press

RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Progressive Reloading Press

Hi:

Does any one have a RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Progressive Reloading Press.

What do you think of it?
    Thanks,

Terryt

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/44...ew.html&page=3

Looks like it has one weak link, fairly easy to fix.

Unsure if they currently do, but MidwayUSA had a lot of shell plates in "clearance"

I got me one for xmas but it arrived afterwards since... uhg long story short it's on my bench and has got a good couple 100 rounds through it both pistol and rifle. Once set up and tuned with a bit of grease everything runs smooth and powder spilling is minimal, except.. yes, primer feed. Everybody's gripe it seems. Personally, I broke two of the four (LP, SP) primer bars already, the material is really rubbish. Both of them broke with the first (1st that is) stroke on the lever. I'm following the thread over at ar15.com and just decided for myself I hand prime unless RCBS comes up with a better primer slide bar. Other than that I like it. So with SHOT coming up, my hopes are that in the meantime RCBS found a solution for the priming system on this one.
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Odd that the priming system would be the problem. Switching from the APS strips to the tube upset RCBS fans the most. You would have thought they would at least made a reliable design.
    Last edited by jmorris; 01-11-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Odd that the priming system would be the problem. Switching from the APS strips to the tube upset RCBS fans the most. You would have at least thought they would at least made a reliable design.
    This is what I was thinking. The APS system worked very well and had plenty of fans. To see the fragile system they developed sure isn't helping their sales.

I figured the lack of a case feeder would have been what would cause slow sales (even more so with the pro 7) have they come out with one yet?

Boolit Grand Master

Last I heard it was supposed to be out early this year. And the lack of one combined w/ the priming system is sure to lead to slow sales.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    You gotta wonder about RCBS. Sometimes they are their own worst enemy.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Would a primer bar out of brass or bronze help and solve the problem?

Don't own one, just wondering?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I don't have one either but they might have designed it to fail instead of breaking a bunch of other stuff on the machine.

They knew the part would fail, that's why they send extras with the press. So they likely had a good reason to not make the part stronger.

Kind of of the same thing as a fuse or circuit breaker.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I don't have one either but they might have designed it to fail instead of breaking a bunch of other stuff on the machine.

They knew the part would fail, that's why they send extras with the press. So they likely had a good reason to not make the part stronger.

Kind of of the same thing as a fuse or circuit breaker.

Hi,
    Then that would tell me it's a more serious problem to fix!

A weak part fix is easy, a design problem, not so much!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Would a primer bar out of brass or bronze help and solve the problem?

Don't own one, just wondering?
    That's probably the solution I am going towards.. unless there is some new and improved version coming up at SHOT. Hand priming is fine, after a couple 1000 though..
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat74 View Post
    That's probably the solution I am going towards.. unless there is some new and improved version coming up at SHOT. Hand priming is fine, after a couple 1000 though..

Hi,
    IMO if a Progressive press won't prime, it's not a progressive, it's an expensive turret!

Just sayin!

The New/Current Handloader Mag has an article by Charlie Petty on the 7 Station Machine. He broke the primer feed on the first stroke as well.

A marginal Magazine article will kill sales.

My son got a 5 station one for Christmas and I will be the one to set it up,,, after reading the instructions. I will also be talking to RCBS at the SHOT Show next week and finding out What is going on with these machines.

Putting out a machine that is as complex as these are is no small accomplishment,,, however putting out one that isn't right is a big mistake.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I figured the sales killer for the pro 7 would be the lack of case feeder. It can't compete with the cheaper LNL or 650 without one and who knows what that will add to the $850 the press costs.

Guess it doesn't matter either way if the priming system doesn't work.

It blows me away that they would put this thing out with obvious flaws. According to Petty they knew the priming system had problems as they told him so when he called for parts. He also called several other times with problems.

Dillon wouldn't do this.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    When was the last time Dillion came out with a new progressive press?
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    When was the last time Dillion came out with a new progressive press?
    Been a few years (2009 IIRC) but the BFR is the last press they put on the market.

Boolit Grand Master

Is there a reason to design a new press? Many models leads to having to stock a lot of parts to support your customers. Look at the aftermarket for Dillons. If there really was a need to fix/upgrade it then someone would be making it by now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast