Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder coating and flyers

Boolit Master

Powder coating and flyers

In the process of powder coating lee 150 grain gas check bullets, I discovered some of the bullets wobbled when balanced on their bases on the tray for the toaster oven. To reduce the number of bullets falling over when moving the tray into the toaster oven I decided to make sure the base of each bullet was flat with no part of the sprue cut standing proud of the bullet base. This takes a couple of seconds of scraping the base with a sharp knife.

After over 500 bullets with scrapped bases power coated, and the gas check installed later through a lee 0.311 size die I discovered that my groups tightened up and I only recall one flyer that was not shooter error in the past month of shooting.

I will have to sort out some bullets with the sprue cut standing proud and see what happens with group size and flyers.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

More evidence that GC makes a good base and proud sprue cuts don't get flattened when installing (sizing) GCs. Wait just a tad longer before cutting the sprue.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    More evidence that GC makes a good base and proud sprue cuts don't get flattened when installing (sizing) GCs. Wait just a tad longer before cutting the sprue.
    The bullets were given to me by a gentleman cast them in his 84th year and has since passed on. I suspect the sprue plate screw on his lee single cavity mold could have been just a little tighter.
    That being said, the bullets are extremely well cast. And I think of the old boy and the good times we had together every time I pull the trigger.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...