Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AR 15 problem

Omega, yes I follow that procedure every time I set up for a different cartridge. I re - read the instructions for the case gauge I just don't understand how the case gauge will show that the cartage is OK but it will not go into battery. Even the ones that fired and cycled are still in spec using the case gauge. I'm getting "go & no go head spacing gauge ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Lever-man View Post
    Omega, yes I follow that procedure every time I set up for a different cartridge. I re - read the instructions for the case gauge I just don't understand how the case gauge will show that the cartage is OK but it will not go into battery. Even the ones that fired and cycled are still in spec using the case gauge. I'm getting "go & no go head spacing gauge ASAP!
    Will any of the 15 that chambered and fired, freely chamber again? The cases that have already been fired, even without sizing them should still chamber.

Are you using the roll crimp in the Lee 2 die set or lee's factory crimp die? Reason I ask, if you have the Lee 2 die set and the die all the way down its putting a roll crimp on it. The bulge from the roll crimp can keep the round from chambering. Especially if your using 311 size boolits. Just food for thought.

I'm using lees factory crimp & j words.

Boolit Grand Master

The instructions that are included with all dies are generic methods that work well for most situations but they are from optimal for the best case life, chamber fit and accuracy.

For best case life, chamber fit and accuracy the following methods work well.
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTech/....htm?lid=16134

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lever-man View Post
    I re - read the instructions for the case gauge I just don't understand how the case gauge will show that the cartage is OK but it will not go into battery. Even the ones that fired and cycled are still in spec using the case gauge. I'm getting "go & no go head spacing gauge ASAP!
    http://www.lewilson.com/casegage.html

One piece gage that will check overall length to indicate the need for trimming, datum to head length to assure correct headspace and to prevent over sizing. Available for most popular rimless cases.

Note: Does not measure body diameters. This gage is intended to be used with fired cases to determine a basis for full length sizing and trimming.

The issue is your cmmg barrel has a large chamber that your current Lee dies are not able to correct for use in your new barrel. My solution would be to use dies that properly size the base and maintain a .002 shoulder bump.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-20-2015 at 08:30 PM.

1johnlb, yes the 7 cases that I fired on the day I started this thread will chamber.

M-Tecs, you are probably right if I decide to put the 1:8 barrel back on I will have to make sure the base is sized properly for the tight chamber.

Mtec, is leading you correctly. That barrel just has a tight chamber. It maybe that that barrel was reamed with a reamer for a bolt gun, where the Cmmg was designed for ar's since that's all they make. All chambers aren't created equally.

Boolit Master

Open the action by removing the front pivot pin first.

Support the ear of the lower as you tap it out.

Don't as how I got fairly proficient at this!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I'm learning that the hard way!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I've built a few rifles, one is a STG 58 with a Imbel reciever.

It will eat anything just like my PolyTech/USGI M-14.

However my DPMS 308 will not!

It does not like LC Brass and the commercial brass has to be perfectly sized, speced to a case guage or the bolt will not go into battery!

It will however feed any type of new commercial or military 308!

Just sayin!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Seagiant, this is my 5th build & the first to give me any trouble. Even the 6.5 Grendel runs like a top, I figured it would give me trouble but it didn't. This is the first time I've used a no name barrel too!