Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Checkmaker or Freechex III?

In Remembrance
    Amazon has Amerimax 68106 6" x 50' .014 for $26.16 +$ 7.19 shipping. Picture says standard but specs call it 68106 which is .014. Other places might be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    The point I was making was most rifle shooters just don't shoot that much ("hunting bullets or occasional range trips"), so for the cost of the tools & material they would be better off just buying 1000 copper checks for $40 or aluminum checks for half that. It take a dedicated shooter to use up 37K of gas checks and I can see the savings for such a person.
    As for me I make checks just because I wanted to, but I have not found an outlet to buy a 3'x50' coil of aluminum of .013" aluminum of any alloy type for $0.66 as square foot. I assume this must be roof flashing, but roof flashing here is .010" and more expensive at that. Of course cutting down coil of that size would be a problem for me, as I can only accurately cut about 18" strips.

Rolling copper pipe sounds interesting, but well beyond the capabilities and equipment on hand for of the average Joe.

Boolit Master
    I did find a 10"x50' roll on Amazon that says 0.147, which should be perfect thickness, but it is $49.47 delivered + tax, not a bad price. Since the 6" roll is way less expensive and sold by the same company I would question if you wouldn't be getting something much less thick since there are no posted specifications.

I take a micrometer along and go flashing shopping. Local Home Depot had flashing that measured .013 and that works for about 80% of my boolits. Still, its much handier just to buy the coils from Coil &Foil, they offer thickness options and the coils I've bought make nice checks without annealing where it's needed with the flashing. Gp

Boolit Master

The point I was making was most rifle shooters just don't shoot that much ("hunting bullets or occasional range trips"), so for the cost of the tools & material they would be better off just buying 1000 copper checks for $40 or aluminum checks for half that. It take a dedicated shooter to use up 37K of gas checks and I can see the savings for such a person.
    As for me I make checks just because I wanted to, but I have not found an outlet to buy a 3'x50' coil of aluminum of .013" aluminum of any alloy type for $0.66 as square foot. I assume this must be roof flashing, but roof flashing here is .010" and more expensive at that. Of course cutting down coil of that size would be a problem for me, as I can only accurately cut about 18" strips.

Rolling copper pipe sounds interesting, but well beyond the capabilities and equipment on hand for of the average Joe.
    Take your micrometer to the hardware store and check the thickness of each batch of flashing, along with visiting the plumbing and roofing contractors and suppliers.
    Flashing thickness usually isn't a concern for construction and the coil stock suppliers sell left over coil stock as flashing.
    Also check the thickness of non vented aluminium soffit, facia, and eves trough. I have been known to check the thickness of aluminium in vent pipe, wrecked holiday trailers siding, and bathroom venting.
    Your local sheet metal shop may even have small scraps of various gauges.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I take a micrometer along and go flashing shopping. Local Home Depot had flashing that measured .013 and that works for about 80% of my boolits. Still, its much handier just to buy the coils from Coil &Foil, they offer thickness options and the coils I've bought make nice checks without annealing where it's needed with the flashing. Gp
    So far Coil & Foil has been my only option for something that I know will work, but I have never liked having only one supplier for anything, as things happen. So far locally I haven't found any flashing that was more than 0.010" Have you ever tried copper flashing?

Dragonheart: I haven't tried the copper flashing as so far I haven't encountered the problems some seem to have with the aluminum. It is on my list of things to try though. At the moment the only check making tool I own is a 30cal. for the standard shanked boolit and it was purchased as a hedge against a time we may NEED to make our own. Works fine if a bit slow. Gp

In Remembrance
    It gives the specs at the bottom of the add. Not right Amazon will send you a return slip for full refund.

I did find a 10"x50' roll on Amazon that says 0.147, which should be perfect thickness, but it is $49.47 delivered + tax, not a bad price. Since the 6" roll is way less expensive and sold by the same company I would question if you wouldn't be getting something much less thick since there are no posted specifications.

Again cost is not an issue...pack up a few thousand at a time and sell them, before you know it tool has paid for itself.

Boolit Mold
    Quick question. I am thinking of making my own checks. How many .30 checks do you guys get per square feet?

Boolit Buddy
    I cut in 1/2 strips and get 13 per 6 inch strip.

Boolit Master
    I buy my aluminum in 1/2" wide rolls. Your 30 caliber Freechex is going to punch out a 0.40" hole in the metal to form the check, so it depends on how much waste you have between the holes. When figuring I just use 25 checks per foot.

What is the ideal thickness for different calibers and why? I have .32, .429, .45 & . 475 in mind.

In Remembrance
    I find to match Hornady and Gators specs work best for .429 up .017 or thicker in aluminum. Go to 50 caliber minimum of .020

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    What is the ideal thickness for different calibers and why? I have .32, .429, .45 & . 475 in mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Checkmaker or Freechex III?

There isn't one. Each caliber and mold is specific. It depends on what you're sizing to and the gas check shank size. As an example I have a 22cal mold that takes .008 checks and another that takes .011 checks.

I would not trust Amerimax's specs. The rolls are all over the place. I used to take my micrometer to the stores w/ me and check the rolls. They were not consistent from roll to roll. W/out checking beforehand I would not buy.

I don't think anyone buys a gas check maker w/ saving money in mind. I bought mine to be self sufficient. Gas checks have disappeared from the shelves more than once. They will disappear again. One could buy a check maker, punch out a lifetime supply of checks and then sell the check maker to recoup most of your money.

Thanks. I should have been more clear. Specifically I was thinking plain base checks.

Boolit Grand Master

Typically .005. But I see Yonky lists .008 for PB checks. That seems to thick to me. I've had issues w/ that thickness w/ a proper gas check mold.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. I should have been more clear. Specifically I was thinking plain base checks.
    I have 41 PB and 44 PB in PatMarlin checkmakers. I use popcan metal (0.0045") for both.
    I would think you would use that or similar for any caliber PB GC.
    I got some 0.006" yonky alum from another member (for 44 PB), that works real good as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    At the present I only make 30 caliber checks and the 1/2" metal rolls is 0.0145" thick. The check base is .284 + .029 check thickness = .313. So you can size .308 to .311 and the checks lock on tight.

Banned

Thought I would add here, -my PB dies work well with soda cans, starting at .004 through .008 normally depending on how hard the temper hardness of the metal, and how hard your boolit's alloy is as well.

Metals too hard or to thick do not form workable PB gas checks. Trying to size and check hard alloys such as Lino Type will not work with PB checks either. I have sized PB checks as thick as .010, but that was with freshly cast Wheel Weights. Normally that metal is to thick for most applications.

You have to experiment and find what works for your needs.

If anyone has a problem with their dies or operation, as always please email.

Customer service has always been a priority. No problem.

We'll get it taken care ASAP. We'll find the cause, send you out a replacement part or a replacement set.

Thanks-

Pat ...

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post

If anyone has a problem with their dies or operation, as always please email.

Customer service has always been a priority. No problem.

We'll get it taken care ASAP. We'll find the cause, send you out a replacement part or a replacement set.

Thanks-

Pat ...
    You can't ask for much more than that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast