Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first cast kill!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana shooter View Post
    .......with a min. Bullet dia of .35 cal a max case length of 1.9.
    What factory cartridges/loads are those?

Oh, and congratulations on the deer! Good show!
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    What factory cartridges/loads are those?
    Anything from 357 mag up to I believe the 500 S&W.(at least in pistol cartridges) There is a very good wildcat that is called the 358 Hoosier. You have to have a 308 action barreled to fit it but it is essentially a trimmed 358 win to satisfy IN laws. I had a friend that had one on a savage 110 action, heck of a gun. Very much worth it if you hand load.

Good deal!!!!

Boolit Master
    Thanks.
    USMC 6638

Banned

Congratulations. I've killed a few deer with an inline and saboted .44 bullets I cast, works well. Started with the Lyman 215 grain bullet and 70 grains of Triple seven as I was looking for a low recoil loadfor my son who lost interest. Two deer down with that one, but then I switched to a 300 grain Lyman and 100 grains and it works a lot better since. Mine is a super cheapie inline from Traditions, I think, and I have it set up with Musket caps. I left it home this year and hunted the old Hawken again, but didn't get one.

Good shooting! Designing your cast load is much more fun!

Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana shooter View Post
    When I left IN they didn't have any reduction zones yet so I can't help ya there but I'll try to explain it as simply as I can. If you are deer hunting with a non-resident license and you come from a state that requires both a hunting license and deer tag the deer hunt ( like KY) you must purchase both NR IN hunting license and deer tag, otherwise you only need a deer tag. It's one deer per tag per season. (I.E. you must have a separate tag for each season, bow, modern firearm, and muzzle loader all requires there own tag) I always used a muzzle loader myself, but you can also use handgun, shotgun, or a fifle with a min. Bullet dia of .35 cal a max case length of 1.9.
    Just to clarify the max case length is 1.8"
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master

I own a 358 Winchester barreled Mauser 98 that I use 358 Win brass cut to 1.8" in length to meet Indiana's weird rifle rules. That's a nice sized doe you got there.
    Last edited by bruce drake; 10-22-2015 at 01:35 AM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings and Congratulations !
    20-1 is a good mix for all sorts of critter harvesting.... You made a good choice. Well done !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Another oddity of Indiana is that for a pistol, the case length rules do not apply and the minimum caliber is 243. So you could use a 243, 25, 6.5, 7mm, 30-30, 308, etc. in a pistol and it's totally legit. I have taken my .300 blackout AR pistol before.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent! fire up the barbe
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting fact that you are in Fern Creek. I was born there in 1944 but my parents moved to Indiana when I was 6 months old. they said that I wouldn't need a green card if they moved before I was a year old.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    Just to clarify the max case length is 1.8"
    What is the purpose of the rule? Is this some misguided idea about safety or are they trying to make it hard for hunters to comply?
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    IN idea is that the larger heavier bullets in front of a limited amount of powder (done by limiting the case length) will minimize the range of the round. Supposedly making it safer due to how flat northern IN is. My issue with that idea is that wile the smaller, faster rounds will shoot flatter they are also more prone to fragmentation after impacting. Whereas the slower bullets tend to just skip along the ground until it looses its energy. I really don't see how one is "safer" then the other, but that's how a DNR officer explained it to me.

Boolit Master
    The first thought that comes to mind is that there are no rifles that are chambered for these imaginary cartridges that the "DNR" has invented. Looks like a back door way for the liberals to prevent hunters from hunting to me.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Very well could be. It seems to me that SO IN is very "gun friendly" but I can't say the same for the state as a whole. As of when I left, you had to apply for a permit just to hunt with a handgun on public land.

The strange thing about Indiana's deer hunting laws on rifles is you can use any center fire rifle to coyote hunt or even squirrel hunt. I know people that hunt yotes with 300 win mags and I've ran across people in the woods that were using 223s to hunt squirrels with. Both of thoes are perfectly legal.

They say it is for safety.
    I'm thinking about sticking a pan-corn field graduated vertical post scope on the .52 bore paper patch Renegade barrel. Don't guess I get to hunt this year post-relocation but next year intend to have everything ready.

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done! Good news is you're now hooked on CB hunting. Bad news is you're now hooked on CB hunting.
    Many experienced casters will not hunt with CB's, I'm glad you took the plunge.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Nicely done! Good news is you're now hooked on CB hunting. Bad news is you're now hooked on CB hunting.
    Many experienced casters will not hunt with CB's, I'm glad you took the plunge.
    congrats on the harvest should be fine dining

Not sure I get the comment "Many experienced casters will not hunt with CB",
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast