PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Triple Seven or Blackhorn?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Tried out the T7 some more after work today. 70 grains in my NEF Huntsman with the 250 grain Lee REAL shoots perfectly to point of aim at 50 yards. My rifle wears a Williams ghost ring sight as do most of my lever actions. If this continues I may not even bother with Blackhorn. T7 costs alot less and is always in stock.
    True Blackhorn is more expensive, but even though the can is just 10 oz. a100 gr. Load by volume is just 70 gr. By weight, so you are gaining there.

I know many rave about Blackhorn and it probably is that good, but I have been using Triple 7 for years now with great results.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Same here, being able to use it in sidelocks is a huge bonus.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Bh 209 or black powder in a inline 209 muzzle loader and just BH 209 in a hand full of cartridges per year. My go to hunting load I use a 250gr Hornady SST ML and 100gr BH209, 1in group at 100yds. I also use a Hornady Great Plains or PRB backed by 100gr BH209 if I can’t use a sabot, not quite as accurate as the sabot but definitely minute of deer out to 100yds. Still experimenting with BP/projectile combos, only get a chance to shoot my muzzle loader rifle a few times a year.

Looking to eventually get a flint lock or percussion build your own rifle kit and a cap and ball revolver.

Boolit Master
    Another user of BH here, with inline and sabots. Start with T7, gave all that away when I discovered BH. The cost is well worth it.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    I use Goex FFFg for .45-70, .44-40, and .45 Colt. Had trouble getting the black so bought T7 right after it was on the market. Still use both just don't compress T7 now. I now use 65 gr T7 in my .45-70 behind a .060 wad and 535 gr bullet. Shoots as good as my compressed 70 gr FFFg black.

T7 is still working well for me in my sidelocks and inlines. I do think I am going to start swabbing between shots though. How are you guys swabbing your guns when using T7? TC Natural Lube 1000 (I think that is what its called) is supposed to be formulated especially to work with T7. I've heard of people swabbing with Bore Butter when using BP or Pyro. Might it be a good idea to swab with natural lube when using T7?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Is it possible to overload a cartridge with Triple 7? Like a 43 Mauser.

Boolit Master
    I TRYED THEM ALL> I ONLY USE BLACK HORN 209 FOR EVERYTHING USE ONLY A MAG PRIMER I USE FOR HUNTING I USE FOR TARGET MUST USE A CRONO IT CHANGES VOLISITY WITH EVERY LOT NUMBER I STAY AT 1200FPs WITH PURE LEAD DEPENDING ON WHICH GUN 500 TO 525 GR BULLET> FRONT STUFFER OR CARTRAGE I ONLY BUY 8LB GUGS I TRY TO GET ALL THE SAME LOT NUMBERS IN CASE ORDERS> I HAVE GONE THROUGH MAYBE 16 TO 20 8 POUNDERS STILL HAVE THREE ON SHELF> WILL NEED TO GET SAME FPs WITH NEW ORDER/LOT NUMBER>

Boolit Master
    This discussion isn’t of much value at this point in time. There hasn’t been any Blackhorn209 brought into the country since last year and may not be available this year. I used BH209 exclusively for the last five or six years with good results. I just recently tried T7 again and I’m getting just as good results albeit I have to use a “Windexed” patch between shots to get the crud ring out before reloading….not a big deal.

Boolit Mold
    Re BH209 availabilty, I just picked up three today in a Florida WalMart.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 inlines, and older CVA Buckhorn that lives on a diet of Pyrodex RS and whatever pellets i come across. The previous owner ruined the barrel so its relegated to just being a "fun" gun. The new CVA Wolf received a factory BH209 breech plug off the bat and has never seen any other powders than the BH209. I'm shooting either the pricey factory power belts or Lee REAL's in either rifle. I finally got the correct rod end and will be trying out some of the CVA ELD bullets this week

For either I have not found the need for "magnum" primers. Though I have a small supply of normal 209 primers most of my range time is spent using some ancient Rem 97* primers that were obtained as a part of a lot buy and almost a lifetime supply.

Most all of my other M/L supplies are obtained from Wally World at closeout prices when the hunting season ends. The supply of BH209 (and other powders/pellets) does not seem to be a problem in my area.

T7 and BH is available here but primers and caps are not. If someone asked me today about the best option for deer hunting other than centerfire rifle I would tell them to get a quality crossbow. Even if you buy a top shelf model, its going to be cheaper in the long run than relying on commercial powder, caps/primers, and projectiles. I'm probably going to upgrade mine soon.

Boolit Master
    T7 is still working well for me in my sidelocks and inlines. I do think I am going to start swabbing between shots though. How are you guys swabbing your guns when using T7? TC Natural Lube 1000 (I think that is what its called) is supposed to be formulated especially to work with T7. I've heard of people swabbing with Bore Butter when using BP or Pyro. Might it be a good idea to swab with natural lube when using T7?
    I’ve recently tried T7 again and have found that swabbing with a patch dampened with Windex followed by a dry patch gets rid of all the crud in the barrel. It shoots as well as BH209 but requires a little more effort because of having to swab between shots.

Thanks, that's what I will do then. If I am using just sabots in a rifle, I wonder what the best bore preservative would be? Or since I'm not using BP or pyro, would that even be necessary? I've never had a problem with bore rust in my cartridge guns.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, that's what I will do then. If I am using just sabots in a rifle, I wonder what the best bore preservative would be? Or since I'm not using BP or pyro, would that even be necessary? I've never had a problem with bore rust in my cartridge guns.
    Ballistol works pretty well - especially cut with some water, i.e., "moose milk".

Thanks, will remember that. Took my TC New Englander out for some exercise today, 70 grains T7 under a PRB. I found that I can get away with swabbing every second or third shot without losing accuracy or becoming too hard to load. Spit patch or soaked in BP solvent didn't seem to make a difference. I guess as long as you get most of the fouling out you're good. Gonna try out my NEF Huntsman with 200 grain .44 boolits in sabots tomorrow.

Extra bonus: the fun store actually had caps today so I stocked up.

Boolit Master
    I have tried all of the powders from black to all of the subitutes, no smokeless, I use only blackhorn209 in all my guns from 50 inline, 45/60, 45/70, I have maybe used 8 Galion jugs now and have 3 Galion jugs sitting in the locker. I have used 5744 in my 45/70 guide gun for bears, with a 515 gr pure lead bullet for fishing only. Blackhorn may be hard to light. factory suggested using mag primers. that is all I have ever use since I started using it. have not had any problem even in winter. will handle compression well. very accurate in all my guns from a 50 yds out to 1000meters. burns clean, cleans up simple. for a 500 gr bullet I use 42 grs or less depending on lot and keep at about 1200 fps or a tad less, on coronagraph. I can shoot 100 rounds without loss of accuracy, if I do my part.

So, is BH just a smokeless powder that produces BP pressures? I would think that somebody could come up with a smokeless powder that is a safe BP substitute, maybe similar to Trail Boss.

Boolit Master
    BH209 is basically a smokeless powder producing low pressure. Contrary to popular belief, Trail Boss can produce high pressures. DO NOT use Trail Boss in a muzzle loader…it’s definitely not safe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast