Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sears 30-30

Sears 30-30

I came across an old Revelation/Winchester. Well worn, looks like a birch stock, with a side scope (old Bushnell 4x) that is literally off the side (how wud you adjust it or estimate drop?).

He wants $300. I love me a 30WCF, but Don't know whether it's interesting enough to break the piggy bank.

did Sears D/t for scope mounts?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    That rifle has to use a side mount so the catridges can eject. $300 sounds steep to me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Agree on the price being too high. And I've got a glenfield mod.30 to occupy my time.

Boolit Buddy
    If I remember correctly the Revelation brand was Western Auto stores. Sears branded their products as the Ted Williams line. Montgomery Ward had their own trade name. Probably several other chain stores had similar marketing arrangements.

Winchester made variations of the Model 94 carbine for all of them, usually no-frills guns with hardwood stocks and lower grade sights. The offset side-mount scope mounts were getting pretty popular by the 1960's and Winchester was drilling and tapping production receivers for them. The mounts and rings were less than $10 and a half-decent scope could be had for about $20 or so.

As I recall J.C. Penney catalogued and sold the actual Winchester brand products, at least until the late 1970's or early 1980's.

Just about every city of any size had a Sears Roebuck store, a J.C. Penney's, and a Montgomery Ward's. Smaller towns usually had catalog order store fronts where you could place orders and pick up your stuff. Every home had a Sears catalog handy, usually right next to the Penney's and Ward's catalogues. We spent many hours thumbing through the pages and comparing products and prices. These retailers also offered store credit cards long before Visa (originally Bank Americard) or MasterCard came along, and where we shopped was frequently dictated by where we got the best credit line and monthly payment deals.

When the Winchester 94 carbines were priced at about $89.00 retail the store-branded guns at the big retailers were usually about $20.00 less (which was a big difference, back in the day). So much lower purchase price, easy credit plans, and have it delivered to your local catalog order center in about a week. A marketing plan that sold lots of guns, as well as refrigerators, TV's, and everything else. Heck, right up into the 1960's the Sears catalog included houses for sale, every single piece pre-cut to build on your lot for between about $3000 and $5000 depending on which model you wanted.

I might be tempted to buy such a rifle just for the nostalgia value!

Ha. I went back to make an offer and it was gone. Sold for $300, so I didn't feel too bad. That's beyond what I thought it was worth (to me, anyway).

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine was going to trade in a old sears / win 30-30 year's ago and the shop was going to nock 50 bucks off ,so he asked if I wanted it for a 50. Well 15-20 year's later still looks so so but 150 gr Speer shoot a 3-4 in 150 yards. Good hard no frills gun.

I have one branded "Sears Robuck & Co" (sp?) that has a full length magazine tube and it's not D/T for any kind of scope mount. It lives in the back of my "antique" safe with some other old bullet launchers and I wouldn't dream of selling it for $300 or $3,000 for that matter.

Boolit Buddy
    keep searching in gun broker under "sears" in the firearms section. you will be surprised at what turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by tenx View Post
    keep searching in gun broker under "sears" in the firearms section. you will be surprised at what turns up.
    Agreed. Another opportunity to buy a rilfe seems to always come along, even if it's a different rifle. Especially considering that my areas of interest are 30-30 and .300 Savage. (This month.)

Boolit Buddy
    There is a Ted Williams at the local store with a $600 tag on it. Moderate condition & cheap scope on it. I thought it was a little rich. "But it's a Winchester"!

So close.

Insane.

My son bought a Monkey Wards 30-30 made by Marlin(336) 16" trapper from his Pastor,perfect condition.Seems to be a little beefier with more metal around key parts.It will take 10 for 10 on the 300 yard Silhouette pigs using a 4X Weaver scope holding on the post.Amazing little gun.

Boolit Master
    Have a Sears , Ted Williams 30/30. It is a Winchester Model 94. $300.00 for a Winchester 94 these days in this state is a pretty good price. Winchester/FN will sell you new in the box for $1800-$2000.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post

I came across an old Revelation/Winchester with a side scope (old Bushnell 4x) that is literally off the side (how wud you adjust it or estimate drop?).

FWIW:

Evidently, the store-branded (Sears) Winchester 94 was worth more than what some here opined, since it got itself sold............

Also - Regarding side-mounted scopes on the Winchester 94:

I've zeroed more than a few, and it's fairly simple - given both the rifle & the shooter's basic accuracy limitations.

If you think about it, a side-mounted scope is just about the same distance over the bore as a top-mounted scope usually is - AND, a bit less than an inch (1") offside to the left of the bore C/L.

Sooooo, the side-mounted scope can be zeroed at whatever distance (say, 100yds), but with the POI (Point Of Impact) a similar distance to the left of the bore c/l (less than 1").

With the POI one inch off center, and with the same trajectory as a top-mounted scope, the discrepancy is waaaay less than what either the deer or the shooter would notice under field conditions. .

(IOW, much ado about nothing)

Last edited by pietro; 01-16-2019 at 10:44 AM.

There were a few variations of the 54 listed below. These type of Catalog Numbers were not in use by Sears till late 1950's. They were serial numbered separately. I do have and do not know where to get a house brand serial number reference. Since house branded guns are not considered collectable there’s not a lot of resources for them. NM stands for New Model, or Post 1964 Model. Seems the Model 54 was available from 1966 – 1972 and the Model 100 was in 1973. No Lever Action listed in 1974 Catalog. The Model 45 (clearly a Marlin) was available in 1964 (JC Higgins) & 1965 (SEARS). These are all the Models that I have verified, if anyone has a different Model & pictures showing Model & special features please send to me so I can update my list.

SEARS
    MODEL NUMBER
    Model

MANUFACTURER,
    MODEL NUMBER

(Verified)
    JC Higgins Model 45

(Available in 30-30 Win or 35 Rem)
    Marlin 336

(Verified)
    Sears Model 45

(Available in 30-30 Win or 35 Rem)
    Marlin 336

(Verified)
    Sears Model 54

(Long Nose Cap, Steel Butt Plate,

Stamped Carrier, Large Front Sight)
    Winchester NM 94

(Sears 54 lever action repeating rifle)

(Verified)
    Sears Model 54

(Short Nose Cap, Steel Butt Plate,

Stamped Carrier)
    Winchester NM 94

(Sears lever action repeating rifle)

(Verified)
    Sears Model 54

(Plastic Butt Plate)
    Winchester NM 94
    (Sears model 54 lever action repeating rifle)

(Verified)
    Ted Williams Model 100

(Plastic Butt Plate, Cast Carrier)
    Winchester NM 94
    (Sears Model 100 Ted Williams lever action repeating rifle)

(Verified)
    Ted Williams Model 100

(Plastic Butt Plate, Cast Carrier)
    Winchester NM 94
    (Sears model 100 lever action repeating rifle)

Last edited by AntiqueSledMan; 10-25-2015 at 07:16 AM.

All the Sears/Winchester 94's were post-64's, which Sears contracted from 1964 to 1973, when Sears dis-continued carrying/selling all firearms - in fact, closing every store's specialty gun/sporting goods dept.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
    I have one branded "Sears Robuck & Co" (sp?) that has a full length magazine tube and it's not D/T for any kind of scope mount. It lives in the back of my "antique" safe with some other old bullet launchers and I wouldn't dream of selling it for $300 or $3,000 for that matter.
    Must be a Ted Williams 100 (Win'94-in-disguised)?

Boolit Master
    $300 was not bad it is inline with a post 64 model 94. a good solid using gun. without the lawyer safety.

I had a Sears 30-30 and did not pay much for it nor did it offer as much when traded in. It was OK but must have been an earlier one as it had the stamped cartridge lifter found shortly after 64. Also had a rather ugly cap on the forestock. Shot OK but I would not pay anything extra for one.

DEP