MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: rubber in the STAR sizer?

Boolit Master

rubber in the STAR sizer?

I bought a used STAR sizer and I want to melt the remaining 50/50 lube out of it with a heat gun. I pulled out the lube piston and the HiCor washer. Is there any other rubber in there? Maybe in/on the horizontal piston on the left rear that does the final injecting? Is there an exploded picture somewhere on the web?
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master

Just warm it up and clean, nothing else beyond the HiCor washer. Hope this helps.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf
    There is an exploded view and parts list in the manual.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. It came with a heater so it is currently upside down with the heat on full. I'll wait a bit and see if it needs the heat gun.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Magma Engineering still supports the old model stars. So if you break something or something is missing, give them a call and they will help you get up and running again. There are some minor parts differences, so you will need to talk to them to determine what parts you need. Good machines and worth the money to me.

Boolit Bub
    i have always boiled my old star sizers to clean out old lube. they are tough old machines.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Every part on the early Star machines will accept any part made for the new Stars made by Magma. When Magma purchased the rights to build the Star, they added some o rings that are not needed nor do they work well at all times. They removed the hold down set screw for the sizing die and changed out the material that the hycar washer is made of.
    To change out the lubes, I have tried many methods since using my first Star in 1970. I find that the easiest way for me is to remove the large brass screw on the side of the machine and the pressure screw assembly. Purchase the better of the two heat guns sold by HF if you don't have one. The better model has two heat settings and makes fast work of cleaning. Find a metal can to set the machine on and you may save the lube you are removing. Let it sit for a cool down period and you will be ready to refill it. Take Care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet