Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A P14 Rebarreling And Cartridge change Project

Banner Sponsor

Looks like a great project and you definatly can't argue with the results.

Boolit Buddy
    If I remember correctly I bought seven of them for less then $200, don't remember what I did with all but my favorite was 416 Rigby, those were the days, knew it would one day end but came never to be seen again, same with 98's, last I bought was 5 for less then $150 shipped, wish I had bought a truck load

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    I know this isnt about cast boolets today but, I Had a great day out shooting the P14! The P14 Shot one group that was much better than average! I pulled one round to the left on my second group, but all indications point to that I may have found my hunting load. This load is a little slow in velocity, but I don't think there will be any issues with that.

The first target has all the load information on it, and the second target I never took the time to write the information before I took the picture. I apologise for that.

This target is a load that has all the same components as the one above, just 1 grain higher in charge weight.
    This load didn't cluster as tight as the one above (still 5 shots), but still did better than I expected this old rifle to do.

Overall, I look forward to retry these loads to confirm their performance at longer distances (200-300 yards) to see if they stay tight on target.

I tried two other groups with Imr4451 and they both showed a tendancy to group 4 shots together and one just outside the group. Sorry, no pictures available at this time. They were in the 1.2" to 1.35" range for the 5 shots. They have potential, as long as I can concentrate on 5 consecutive well squeezed shots!

I having fun with this old girl!
    Of course due to using a much stronger action you are not limited by the low pressure to which the 30-30 is normally loaded. Some years back Petersens Rifle Shooter did an article on Souping up the Ole 30-30 and that was really interesting. A few years later I acquired a custom built bolt rifle in 30-30 so dug the article out and using some of the data loaded the 130 Grn Honady Spire Points to around 2800 fps and they shoot really well. Unlike you P-14 I cannot load anything over 150 grn in spitzer type bullets due to the magazine length as it was made to factory 30-30 length. Powder that the is used for this is Hodgdons H335.

Now I am suposing that your stock is the Boyds Classic rather than the Prarie Hunter?

reason for asking is that I need a new stock still for my own P-14 project:-

This is a rebuild of a BSA commercially sporterised P-14 in 303 from the late 1940's or early 50's.

The bore was a sewar pipe and had also been chopped back and the foresight resoldered on squewed.

The new barrel is BSA one that was then bull burnished by AG. Parker of Birmingham England:-

The proof marks on it are from 1954 or 1955.

The headspace is minimum. Apart from test firing it has not been shot due to other problems not related to the rifle. Now this is my 30-30 Bolt actioned rifle:-

A handsome rifle even if I do say so myself. Will be interesting to follow how yours does at the longer ranges and if you try other bullets.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 12-31-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling and typos

Boolit Man
    Dthunter,
    The load with 47 grains of H4350 is about the level of cordite service loads,I would stick with it,if a few more groups hold around that accuracy.
    Mike.

This sounds like something I would do but if your goal is to use 30-30 brass and cast bullets why not turn the barrel back and braze in an adaptor then run a finishing reamer in it. You could run 314 cast in it you just need to do some work on you dies. It's not hard I did this to use 223 brass in a 32wsl. You could have a 7.7x51R

Boolit Master
    Brithunter, I've got that same exact stock sitting around here. Bubba got his hands on a P14 and let's say the drilling and tapping left much to be desired. Frank

Boolit Master
    Brit hunter:

You are correct, the stock is a "classic" Boyds design.

After shooting about 15 more groups of various powders and bullets, and boolets, I am going to stay with the 303 British caliber for now. It just shoots too good to change it!

I am really getting attached to this rifle! It looks and feels like it will be a hunting companion for some time to come! I will be carrying it this spring for Black Bear season.

Boolit Mold
    hi guys although this is five years after this thread , i was wondering the out come of the build,
    i have acquired 2 p14 actions which i am planning to build 2 rifles from, one as a bush rifle and the other as a target rifle, the bush gun im planning leaving as a 303, the other im thinking of 7mmrem mag, any thoughts ?
    regards owen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123