RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blast from the past--.300 Savage

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    'Nother nice thing about all those M99 .300 Savages for use with cast bullets.....they all have 12" twists

Larry Gibson
    And don't worry about seating a bullet below the neck

Boolit Master
    A .300 Savage is what started me on my adventure with cast boolits. Killed my first deer with one using Lyman's 311465 and 18.2 grains of H-4227 and later, made my longest shot with the same load....a little over 200 yards. Hey, I was young and dumb in 1976.
    Purchased a Lyman 31141 at a gunshow and found that a case full of old H-4831 under it to be the berries for shooting deer. Fine round, the .300!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a beater 722 in 300 Savage that I bought for the action with the intention of having my gun smith buddy rebarrel it with a sweet fast twist .224 caliber polygonal rifled barrel in some speed demon cartridge. He told me to shoot the 300 Savage first as they were known to be accurate. I did and it was! It shot anything I put through it well. With VLD bullets the fit in the case and the magazine was perfect, unlike with a 308 Win in a short action, plus it can be hand loaded to similar velocities in the bolt action.

Needless to say the 22 project was canceled. I gave the barrel to my buddy. He did a 22 Middlestead and shot the barrel out years ago. My 722 will last for generations.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Remington M81 and was surprised by how deep I had to seat 311291. Accuracy is ok and no leading with 24 gr of H4198. That's the minimum to work the action.

My Rem. 722 also shoots .300 Sav. Extremely well and likes the 165 gr. ranch dog meant for 30-30. I'd love to try the RD designed for the .300 Sav. But I missed the group buy.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the .300 Savage in a 1948 722, 1956 Savage 99, a Remington 700 Classic and a Remington 7600 pump. One of my favorite chamberings. When I kill a Whitetail deer with the .300 Savage, .308 Win or 30-06, there really is not a difference that I can tell. My handloads push a 150 grain WW Power Point to 2700 fps in the .300 Savage, 2800 fps in the .308 Win, and 2900 fps in the 30-06 respectively. Our Pennsylvania Whitetail deer just crumble in a heap when hit properly by any of the above speeds. The .300 Savage reloads are as accurate as any of the other two chamberings mentioned. When loaded with the proper bullet, I would not feel undergunned hunting anything that walks, crawls, flies, bites or that wants to kill me.

358 Win

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    I'm guessing they were there because everything else was selling out and no one ever heard of .300 Sav.

I made a commitment to some .308 military-converted-to-.300 Sav. brass recently. But I grabbed a sack of the commercial stuff just cause I could. Actually, this will be the first time I've used unfired cases for .300 Savage! Up to now it's been old range pickup.

i know military brass generates higher pressure because of thicker case walls, but it performs and functions about the same, right?
    It;s work out just fine for me as I've converted several hundred .308 Win. as well as 7.62 NATO to 300 Sav. for my Sav.99 most of it either given to me or left at the range to pick up for free. I use the converted 308 cases for some J bullet loads as 100 will last me a long time. The rest of the 308's and converted NATO case are set aside for shooting cast bullet loads.

In a side by side test shooting identical loads the NATO cases gave me around 75 fps. added MV. I didn't even have to turn the case necks on the thicker NATO brass as theu chamber just fine with my .311" dia. cast bullets.

Boolit Master

Blixen, What brand were the 300 Savage ammo and new brass you saw on the shelf?....dale

Boolit Master
    In a new rifle I can't imagine a reason to pick the 300 Savage over a 308 Win. but in an older model 99 I can understand. I don't like the short neck on the 300 Savage. I understand that the deer can't tell the difference once you hit them even for range an wind drift a couple hundred FPS does not matter much.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

In Remembrance

I recall reading of the Army`s tests on the .300 Sav. round before they did tests and finally adopted the 7.62 round. The .300 was considered a `baby .30-06` due to the closeness there was in both rounds with 147 gr. fmj ammo. The single thing that counted most against the .300 was the short neck, it wouldn`t feed well thru full auto weapons in a belt. I`m down to just a 722 and a 99 take down in .300 Sav. now, funny that I don`t feel handicapped with either?Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a model 99 in 300 awhile back. I didn't know about the shorter action length of the older models. I was going to have Jess rebore it to a 358 win. I called and talked to him, and that's when I found out about the action length. I was disappointed at first, but after shooting a couple of boxes of store bought through it, I've gotten over it. Now to clean the barrel and get some cast loaded and ready. I was thinking of trying my 311466 first and seeing how that works. Seems like it could be a really good fit. Let the adventure begin.

I just bought a Rem 722 in 300 Sav. I have had good luck so far with the Lee 312-155
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJohn View Post
    I picked up a model 99 in 300 awhile back. I didn't know about the shorter action length of the older models. I was going to have Jess rebore it to a 358 win. I called and talked to him, and that's when I found out about the action length. I was disappointed at first, but after shooting a couple of boxes of store bought through it, I've gotten over it. Now to clean the barrel and get some cast loaded and ready. I was thinking of trying my 311466 first and seeing how that works. Seems like it could be a really good fit. Let the adventure begin.
    Have him rebore to ".350 Savage" instead!
    I've owned 2 model 81 Rem, a M99 Savage, and rebarreled a 98/22 Mauser in .300 Savage. I enjoyed them all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12