WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blast from the past--.300 Savage

Blast from the past--.300 Savage

I ducked into a big box Sporting goods store to check on powder (not much) and noticed a stack of factory .300 Sav. Cartridges. And a couple of sacks of brand-new brass! I thought I stepped into a time warp.

I have 3 .300 Sav. rifles and love the ol' .308 progenitor.

Boolit Grand Master
    I hope you followed the big hint to stock up on brass at least. I can not remember the last time I saw .300 Savage brass as components, if I ever did.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    You know it is kind of funny My 2 brothers hunted with 300 savage ( I was the only odd ball with a 35 Rem) when I was in my youth.
    I almost forgot what they looked like until I recently sorted out a bunch of range brass to sell.... Then I remembered that strange little cartridge again!
    Put a lot of meat on our family tables
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I'm guessing they were there because everything else was selling out and no one ever heard of .300 Sav.

I made a commitment to some .308 military-converted-to-.300 Sav. brass recently. But I grabbed a sack of the commercial stuff just cause I could. Actually, this will be the first time I've used unfired cases for .300 Savage! Up to now it's been old range pickup.

i know military brass generates higher pressure because of thicker case walls, but it performs and functions about the same, right?

In Remembrance

About 10 years back a friend of mine that hosted an outdoors program on a PBS station on the telly called me up to ask about a rifle he had. It had been given to him quite a few years before and he put it in his safe and forgot about it. He said it was a Savage 99 and in some odd ball caliber, a .300 Savage he said. He claimed he had never heard of such a caliber, now this guy is almost 70 now! I explained what it was and to bring the rifle over and we would fire some factory ammo I had thru it. After only 4 or 5 shots he took a liking to the little round and the rifle.Robert

There are a lot of Rem 722's out there in 300 Savage. It's a excellent caliber and is as close as you can come to the 308 Win.

In a 722 (not a Sav 99), you can reduce 308 loads by 1.0 gr and get the same velocity and as good or better accuracy as the 308 Win.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    There are a lot of Rem 722's out there in 300 Savage. It's a excellent caliber and is as close as you can come to the 308 Win.

In a 722 (not a Sav 99), you can reduce 308 loads by 1.0 gr and get the same velocity and as good or better accuracy as the 308 Win.

Frank
    Thanks, Frank. I own both a Sav. 99 and a Rem. 722, which explains my love of the .300 Savage—both are tack drivers. (Someday I'll find a Remington pump in .300 Savage.) Since, I shoot only boolits through them, I don't really push velocities much beyond 1,800 fps.

I forgot. I also have a Arisaka rechambered to fire.300 savage. Rechambered isn't quite right, someone in the '50s figured that if you cut off some of the breech end of a 7.7x58 chamber it was approximately the same as a .300 Sav. So it's a "7.7mm Savage" and needs .314 boolits to shoot well.

Boolit Grand Master

It's not an obsolete cartridge yet. You can still buy new production ammo. In my area it's easier to find then 35 Remington. I own a bunch of 99s chambered for it. My Uncle owns a 99 and inherited my Grandfathers's 760 and a converted Arisaka. I love the round and w/out it we wouldn't have the 308 Winchester. People want the newest wiz bang round and over look most of the old great ones that do everything just as well.

Banned
    i didn't have it but a friend got a 300 sav in m99 right after high school gradution, bought it from an old fella. we shot a bunch of shells thru that gun, they were around $10 for factory loads. he hunted with it and killed a couple of deer. this was like 25 years ago, and you are right, "the old great ones that do everything just as well. " this year i really wish the 30-40 krag does as well too.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    .....i know military brass generates higher pressure because of thicker case walls, but it performs and functions about the same, right?
    I was experimenting with paper patched .300 Sav last winter using converted 7.62 brass. The max load in the converted brass was significantly lower though I would have to look up what it was. I would suggest starting 20% lower than the standard starting load for any non ball powder.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    .... " this year i really wish the 30-40 krag does as well too.
    Never fear, the .30-40 is everything a .308 ever wanted to be and much better with heavy bullets.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Never fear, the .30-40 is everything a .308 ever wanted to be and much better with heavy bullets.
    i'm shooting a 165gr(173gr actually) ranch dog thru my '98 springfield. the 300 sav would like that one too!!!

Boolit Bub
    I'm picking up a 165 grain ranch dog mold tomorrow. I hope it shoots as well as my Lee 175 .308 (sized to .310).

Boolit Master
    The 300 Savage was the forerunner and model for the 308Win. Handloaded, it will equal or surpass the 308W with some loadings. It is my "meat gun" in a Rem 760. I'm currently working on PP loads for my 760 rifle and enjoying every minute of range time.

Best regards,

CJR

Let us know how the paper patching goes. Picked up my second-hand ranch dog today. One cavity is gas checked and the other plain base.

In Remembrance
    Sportsmans warehouse is one of the very few places ammo is available here. They always have 300 savage ammo, but like every other caliber it dried up for a few months during the great government gun and ammo sales period. lol

Boolit Master
    I met an older gentleman in Greybull, Wy that hunted deer and elk with a Remington 722 in 300 Savage. In my younger days I looked down my nose at that round as anemic compared to my vaulted 30/06. At least the reloading manuals of the day said so. Thing is, this gentleman's family ate very well with this rifle around.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love the .250 and .300 Savage, great old rounds. Strangely, the Meijer's store near my apartment in Lexington in the mid-2000's always had a bunch of it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

'Nother nice thing about all those M99 .300 Savages for use with cast bullets.....they all have 12" twists

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast