Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BTSniper new 6.5mm match grade dies!

Vendor Sponsor

BTSniper new 6.5mm match grade dies!

Another project of mine a long time in the works..... to be able to make and shoot .264 cal bullets as good or better then the many of the bullets available today. A pretty tall order considering there is some very good match bullets in the 6.5mm class but I feel I have come pretty darn close, or at least good enough for my personal shooting needs at the moment..

The first rifle I started hunting with back in the early 90s was a sporterized 6.5x55 M94 Swedish Mouser. My family had been hunting the hills of NE Oregon with these great little cartridges for an entire generation before my love affair with the 6.5x55 started and they have accounted for a great many number of successful hunting trips. Now with a strong modern day (I like and use Savage) action and some high end custom barrels the 6.5x55 is only getting better.

As for the bullets, they took me for a journey in basic reloading fundamentals. Making the bullets was straight forward and just as easy as any other bullet with a beautiful 7.5s ogive, small .062 meplat and a precision 9 degree boat tail, with these dimensions they are a near identical match to the Nosler Custom Comp 140 grain bullets, I do have a reamer that will allow for a near perfect match to the 142 grain Sierra Match Kings that I will be trying out soon. Getting the bullets on paper producing small groups proved to be just as successful with my first outing with these beauties. However subsequent outings in attempts to produce small groups proved to be a bit of a challenge. What I learned, or more specifically..... what was once again ingrained in my learning process, was that when it comes to reloading......EVERTHING MATTERS! Of course we all knew that right! You change a component your going to get different results, you change the OAL, powder, powder lot#, powder charge, primer your going to get different results. I didn't want to believe it, especially with the same brand of powder but different lot numbers but boy did something as simple different lot number of powder and a different primmer sure give me a wake up in the fun involved with loading an accurate round.

I got lots of data and info to share but short on time at the minute. Till I get back here is some fun pics to check out.

Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-13-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

OK.... here is what I learned and the experience I had dialing in a good load with these bullets. I don't claim to be an expert marksman but I am usually able to find a good load for the bullets I have made. Usually its as simple as varying powder charge then varying OAL length or vis-a-versa but this experience required a few more changes.

Every time I set up a new die I always have at least 20-40 bullets used in the initial set up. These bullets are used to set up the die to it's ideal settings to achieve the best results. Typically the bullets will vary in weight as I experiment to see what overall weight works best and the bullets will be formed to various degrees or lengths as I determine what setting the die works best at. Then of course the idea is to lock everything down and make a run of bullets that are exactly the same. I do this with everyone of my dies as well as customer dies before they go out so I wind up with a lot of bullets that you might call 2nds. I used jackets that where straight out of the bag (no additional cleaning) and cores that where straight from the mold (no core swage), matter of fact I would frequently add a small amount of lead in the form of small lead shot to increase weights. Think I even cut some cores from lead wire as well. Point being there was no real consistence in these first 20-30 bullets out of the die.

So it is these 2nds I load up in some 6.5x55 laupa brass that I had left over from some loaded rounds I had taken apart back in the day. They where primed but otherwise new. I looked up loads from various manuals and found Nosler used a strong action and had "up to date" data for use stronger modern day 6.5 offerings. Their recommended load was 46.5 grains of RL-22. So I grabbed a 1lb jug off the shelf, determined max OAL and loaded up my rounds at about .020 under max length.

Shooting at 110 yrds off a wobbly old wood table and using a tool box for a seat (I don't have access to a fancy shooting range) my first few groups where very encouraging! Seemed the bullets where magically going right where I wanted them. Here is the results that initiated my learning experience, I wasn't expecting anything from these 2nd rate bullets and they turned in groups in the .5 MOA range with only a couple fliers! I was thrilled. Little did I know right!!!

I'm thrilled! I go home and use every trick I know to make the most accurate bullets I can. Cores are swaged and cleaned, jackets are cleaned, bullets are all made with the same exact die settings, etc... Before you know it I have 300-400 bullets ready to go with me dreaming of incredible results. I grab new Lupua brass from a differnt bag, again previously primed yet still new brass from loads I had taken apart way back when. I grab a new 5lb jug of RL-22 (notice how many potential variables I have already changed!) and proceed to load up my match bullets with the same load of 46.5 grains but now at various OAL lengths as I begin my testing for the perfect load. Shooting of the same wobbly bench and tool box seat I am horrified to see that the groups have now gone from 1/2" to none under 1" and many closer to 2" but out of all those lousy groups I was able to determine the winning OAL length that just happened to be about the same as I started with when shooting the 2nds.

Needless to say I wasn't exactly thrilled with my second outing results. I start looking back at notes thinking what could it have been? something with my core swage? did some lube get left over that I missed??? Well I started by testing the two different lots of powder, lets eliminate one variable at a time. Still using the same bag of brass and same bullets but now I'm shooting 200 yrds at a different location but now off a new super steady bench (I know lets add more variables, right!) .... here where the results....

Still pretty lousy groups for sure and nothing I would expect from a "match bullet" maybe I had a bad day behind the trigger? BUT!!!! I did narrow down one problem...... the 5lb jug of RL-22 shot 50fps slower and twice as large of groups as the faster 1lb jug (different lot numbers, difference of only one year!) of RL-22. A 3"group at 200 yrds is still a respectable 1.5MOA but I demand better!

OK so what is next? I determine since I didn't have much of the 1lb lot of powder left I should work up a load with the 5lb lot thinking that if I pick up the lost 50 FPS maybe the accuracy will pick back up. So with the only change being the powder charge I started at the 46.5 grain load and worked up (of course I used standard reloading precautions and advise everyone else to do the same) it is well know that 6.5x55 published load data is very conservative so working up from the Nosler recommended load was not a safty concern for me in my guns with the modern Savage action. Here are the results from that day still shooting 200 yrds this time the wind was slightly blowing up to about 5mph.

More pics and results to come. Takes a while! To be continued!
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-13-2015 at 11:05 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

OK..... again not that impressive with the load development at 200 yrds but it did start to show a slight favoring towards the 47 and 49 grain load, I was looking for the group with the least vertical spread here as the wind may have been affecting horizontal a little. But still I'm at a loss for finding the blame for such lack luster accuracy, was it me? the way I approached and held the gun, shooting off bi-pods rather then a good rest????? bullet formation flaws?

One more thing to check, basically the last resort..... I choose the 49 grain load and sat down in front of the bench with a "fresh out of the box" bunch of Lapua brass and loaded up four rounds each with various primers I had available. I also loaded up a bunch of load development rounds for the second 6.5x55 with brass from the previous testing in the 26" long Shilen barreled rifle. Up to this time I had been testing the 6.5x55 with a CBI 28" barrel, both of them started out stainless steel that I had Nitride Processed.

So my next outing to the woods started with the 28" CBI with 49 grain loads of RL-22 loaded with various primers four rounds each, I had Win, Fed Match, CCI and CCI BR all standard large rifle primers.

Here are the results again shot at 200 yrds.....

Federal Gold Medal Match primers HORIBLE!

Win primers A LITTLE BETTER BUT NOT MUCH

CCI BR on top and CCI on bottom FINALLY! Could it be I had found the culprit!!! Dropped one out the bottom on the CCI target but the BRs looked great!

Finally! A test with some actual, unmistakable results showing an actual accuracy advantage and preference towards one particular component......THE PRIMER! Both the CCI primers showed good ES numbers and SD numbers where single digits with the BR being slightly better. The win was OK and the Feds just didn't work with this combination at all!

I didn't even both to shoot the Shilen barreled rifle with the load development rounds I had loaded. I went home and pulled each one as I was running out of this run of bullets. I grabbed new brass and primed it with the CCI BR primers and reloaded all the test loads for the Shilen barreled 6.5x55.

I proceed to take the previous brass for which I had been doing all my load development for since day two and deprimed the cases, guess what primer I was able to determine it had been primed with???? The dog gone federals!!!!!!

So my next outing went considerably better, this time I loaded up all the bullets I had left with new brass and CCI BR primers and shot at 100 yrds.

Here is the results from the first rounds down the pipe of the Shilen barrel. I started with a 48 grain load to get on paper then worked down to 46.5 then finished off the 48.5 and 49 grain testing last. As you can imagine I was thrilled when I put 4 shots in a nice little cluster after the first shot was pulled a little low left with the 46.5 grain load! I think the 48.5 grain load may have shown some potential too. Five shot groups. I added 3/4" elevation to the scope after the 48 grain load.

and here I did the final load development test (so far) again with the CBI barrel at 100 yrds with four shot groups. I had a light trigger and lost one of the 47 grain shots before I got on paper. I've since tightened it up a bit but that 47 grain load was looking pretty good with some low ES and SD numbers. The 49 grain load still looked to be a clear winner and should be even better if I can bring that one flyer back in the group. here I started with 46.5 grains and worked up....

OK so after all that what die we/I learn here? Know what primer you are shooting and any and every change in a component has the potential to change your group on paper considerably, even the same brand of powder but in different lots. I didn't want to believe different lots of powder had this drastic of an effect but I sure learned my lesson.

Really it is reloading 101 basics here and shouldn't be anything new to you guys but it really showed up on paper for me in this testing, wish I would have started with the CCI BR from the get go..... oh! and one last thing.... I was able to determine the primers used in the first day's shooting when everything was "magical" where CCI so there you go! A simple swap of brass from CCI primed to Fed match primed had me doubting my abilities to make a good bullet.... how dare you Federal Gold Metal Match.... On a side note I use the Federal GM mag primers for my 300 wm with excellent results...... and CCI mag in my 338 with excellent results...... and .... and..... just goes to show you I guess!

In the end I am thrilled with the performance of these bullets and look forward to future long range testing with them.

here are some numbers for you all that showed up in testing. Again these numbers are from my gun and my bullets and they are certainly different from yours so use standard reloading precautions and published data. By the way..... as I recall the barring surface on these bullets I made where right at .2630 and the pressure ring was around .2635. I would have liked all the numbers to be about .001 larger in diameter but they seemed to shoot well and the slightly smaller diameter may have accounted for possible increase in FPS???? add that to Nitride processed barrels at 26"and 28" in length and these little 6.5x55s where really slinging these 142 grain bullets out there!

I found that I was able to get 50 FPS more from the 28" barrel vs the 26" which seems to hold true with a 50fps gain per two inches of barrel.

With the 28" CBI barrel I got 2891fps with a 46.5 grain load and 3096 from a 49 grain load. I determined 49 grains to be my max and certainly wouldn't want to go over it by much of anything.

With the 26" long Shilen barrel I got 2841fps from the 46.5 grain load and 3034 from the 49 grain load.

Well ..... I'm about wore out for now. It was certainly a learning experience. It will be interesting to see what the 142 grain bullet will do at 3100fps with a BC around .550 at long range and it will certainly be interesting to test everything all over again on say a 170 grain bullet...... hummmm?

Good shooting and swage on!

Brian
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-14-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

To be able to make your own bullets is certainly a very beneficial ability, just to be able to make your own rather then buying them is an awesome feeling but one more option that I find especially cool and beneficial to making your own, especially in the case of the .264, is to make bullets that are not, or no longer available on the commercial market.

For instance..... the .264 match bullets top out at about 140 grains and BCs around .550, there may be a few custom options out there, I think there are some out of Canada at 160grains with an impressive BC but heavy match bullets are certainly limited, maybe not even needed but????? maybe with the new super magnums, like the 26Nolser and slower powders a heavy high BC bullet might be pretty interesting.

There used to be 160 grain round nose Hornady bullets and some 155 grain Sierra match kings but the heavy options seem to be dwindling for the 6.5mm. I read a lot about how those shooting this caliber in the old military rifles that have long throats originally designed for the long heavy round nose designed bullets, how they have trouble getting the full accuracy potential out of their darling old rifles as finding bullets with a nose profile or that are heavy/long enough to seat long in the case to reach the rifling for utmost accuracy becomes difficult with today's bullet selection.

I have one of these 120 year old Mouser's that still shoots great today. It has the long throat and I simply load bullets as long as the magazine will allow, knowing I will run out of mag length before any concerns with engaging the rifling. SO I was playing around with my new dies and the RCE jacket to see just how long and heavy of bullet I could make, with in reason of the jacket and not to long of a lead tip.

This is what I came up with..... the 142 grain bullets I have been shooting and a 170 grain bullet on the right. I think it looks pretty darn good and will certainly be shooting some out of the longer 28" barreled riffles I have pictured above. I wonder how they would do in the big over bored magnums like the 26Nosler or a 6.5 RUM?

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

BT
    Very nice write up. I don't swage but can appreciate the process. Not to mention, I'm always interested in reading about 6.5 caliber cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    Love the 6.5 caliber. I got a set of 6.5 dies for cheap from a member on here and bought a 260 rem afterwards. The jackets that RCECO has on sale right now can make a hefty bullet like the one you show. Great caliber and unfortunate that the US doesn't focus on this cartridge more.
    This is one of those calibers that just plain old shoots. I have worked up a total of 1 load for my 260 rem and was shooting 3/8 moa. I need to play with it more but I assume 1/4 MOA or better is achievable if i were to try other loads, lengths, etc.

Great work Brian, looks like a nice bullet!

Boolit Man
    That was a fascinating write up. The only agonizing part was waiting for each segment to be posted. I have never had the privilege of owning a 6.5x55, but I have always wanted one. If I could find a reasonably priced one, I'm sure it would find its way back home with me. But then, MY reasonably priced one would NOT be someone else's reasonably priced one I'm sure. Thank you for a very interesting session.

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks Guys. Looking at the pics one might not think to highly of the accuracy I achieved from my bullets but the learning for me was all about the components and the dramatic change in accuracy a simple swap of primers made. I wanted to show the "real world" size groups that many of us I am sure have seen before and show that there is potential to tighten up groups considerably. Now that I seemed to have found the right combo I can really start to fine tune and try out some longer shots.

Took me a while to edit and upload all the pics then write up and decipher all the data. It was a month or two finding the spare time just for getting the dies ready, making the bullets, putting the guns together, and I don't know how many trips it was to the "range" for testing but so far it is looking pretty good. Really don't know how the 6.5x55 will stand up to long range shooting, I know there are plenty of them out there but my long range shooting has been 300WM and 338 Edge till now. I figured I would put an extra 6.5 together for my father and we'll go out and have some long range shooting fun.

BT

p.s. I do read a lot of good reviews about the Tikka 6.5x55s if one was looking to buy a factory offering..... or..... a Savage action can be found for $300 or a used Savage in a pawn shop for even less, and these barrels go from about $150-$350 average. Certainly doesn't take much to put one together.
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-15-2015 at 01:32 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Banned
    Every Swede I have shot and loaded for shows great results with N160 powder. It just seems to be the magical marriage. Obviously your loads are tuned to the gun. Not knocking your bullets, just thinking you should try a different powder, not primer.

Vendor Sponsor

Certainly! A different powder is a logical next step in testing components. Before I started making and selling dies and testing all these different calibers I attempted to streamline my arsenal to just 300WM and 6.5x55 for my big game needs, this way the RL-22 would work well for both. RL-22 does get a lot of attention in the 6.5 but I'll have to research the N160 and possibly give it a try. Thanks!

I burn a lot of N133 in my 20 practical I'll have to pick up some N160, many shooters mention the extreme temp sensitive nature of RL-22, do you notice any temp sensitive issues with N160? What primer have you found to give best results with the 6.5 and N160?

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Mold
    Is it possible to swage .264 bullets using a 22lr case as a jacket?
    Do you have dies to do that??

/BPS

Boolit Master
    I bloke over here used to make them out of 22 magnum cases and they worked perfectly.BT,I've had excellent results shooting 140grn bullets over AR2217,H1000 in your part of the world,just fill the case with as much as will fit and seat the bullet. Pat

Banned
    BT, I generally use Winchester LR with N160. I've never had a failure. I sold a Swede I put together to a fellow that shoots it in F-Class, loves it. He also shoots a 260 Remington, and uses N160 in it too.

Contrary to some, I have always found better GROUPS, using a powder that is a bit faster than what the caliber can use. It may not reach the top velocity as a slower powder, but groups are better. I tried H4831, R22, in the Swede, but went a bit faster and hit the N160. Same results in my 30/284. I can use the slow stuff,but H4350 groups better.

It's all in the barrel harmonics, you have to find that sweet spot, the gun will tell you!

Vendor Sponsor

I was planning on trying some H1000, I got quite a bit of that, then I'll try some faster powder when I get some.

as far as making 6.5 from 22mag......YEP! Here is some pics from my last attempts, think they are 120 grains, the small one is a 22 cal. Never got around to shooting any of them.

and here is the thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...om-22mag-brass
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 11-21-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    If I could get jacket blanks from RCE imported to Oz I'd buy a swaging set-up,I could make a good living supplying the service rifle shooters with 303 and 6.5 swede bullets. Pat

Vendor Sponsor

Polished one of the point form dies out to .2639 on the barring surface that gives .2645 at the pressure ring. This is right where I want to be with the diameter of these bullets.

Mounted the dies in my RCE hydro press and the results where very good. Now it seems I have added another variable and have high hopes for the results, as soon as I get them loaded up and get back out to the range.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    BT,what jackets are you using?. Pat

Boolit Buddy
    Those look great!

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks again guys. I used here, and frequently recommend RCE llc. jackets. If I could afford J4s I'm sure they would shoot great but........

Finishing up a customer's order here then I'll be anxious to get to the range and see if my slight change in these 6.5 bullets will improve accuracy.

I'll have a new 6mm VLD bullet soon to unveil as well. With all I have learned going into the design and machine work with the 6.5's I am looking forward to the new 6mm results.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

Had a good day at the range today. Hardly a breeze! Rare for around here. I got to tryout my latest batch of 6.5mmm bullets, lot#264004 and my CBI barreled 6.5x55 liked them! The Shilen wasn't bad either but I got a hypothesis as to why that is....... the CBI has about 250 rounds down the tube now and the Shilen is at less then 100 so it could be the CBI is starting to settle in a bit, it was certainly easier to clean then the Shilen. Or another educated guess...... the Shilen barrel I ordered is there "Select " match barrel, my guess is it has a tighter bore then the CBI. I have noticed a difference in two 20 cal barrels I have from Shilen, one is the "select match" the other just a match, I get higher pressures from the "select" then I do with the other, but accuracy with both is incredible.

This latest lot of bullets I changed from my previous testing, this lot was final formed in a point form die I had polished out to .2645 at the pressure ring and .2639 on the barring surface whereas the last lot of bullets tested where formed in a die that gave numbers about .001 smaller then that. The Shilen barrel shot pretty well with these smaller bullets while the CBI shot noticeably better with the slightly larger diameter bullets. Draw your own conclusions here as I'll let the latest targets speak for themselves.

One more high note! I got a set of these match .264 dies put together and nearly ready to ship out to a lucky customer, I made ten bullets in his dies and loaded them up straight from the point form die, nothing special was done to clean or polish these bullets after they where formed, only whipped the lube from the bottom of the bullets so as to not contaminate the powder, sides and tip of bullets still had a light layer of lube on it. In the three point form dies I have used so far his falls right in the middle as far as the diameters go. Right on as a matter of fact, .2640 at the pressure ring and .2635ish on the barring surface. I loaded these up in brand new Lapua brass, CCIBR primers, 46.5 grain of RL-22 at a COAL of 3.010. While the Shilen needed a bit more lad development for top accuracy check out what the CBI barrel did for me right out of the shoot!

These where shot at 100 yrds with a clean, cold barrel, still had a heavy layer of oil in the barrel so I'll take a mulligan on the first shot. The next 4 shots went into a small little cluster measuring .384" center to center.

I took the powder charge with the most potential from the last shooting session and broke it down into .3 grain powder charges looking to fine tune the potential accuracy and also see what this new bullet would do. Still the same 142 grains yet this one is about .001 larger in diameter then the previous.

Here are the targets shot with the Shilen 6.5x55 at 100yrds. It was cooler for this testing at about 55 degrees today vs. the mid 70s for the previous testing. My chrony battery gave out on me so I didn't get any FPS readings. Not too bad, the 46.8 grain load was going great, first three shots in the bull, as hard as I tried to keep calm and coax that 4th right in there some how.... ****! it went low? Might have to do a bit more testing with this load, see if it is a shooter induced flier or something with the load.

And here is the much improved groups for the CBI barreled 6.5x55. Now which one to choose for the CBI? Looks like the 48.7 grain load is a good one for all out speed and accuracy, and if I wanted to ease it back a bit on the brass and my shoulder looks like anywhere between 47-47.3 is a good load too.

These where all to be four shot groups, the 46.7 load for the CBI only got three off, the light trigger also seemed to have a light primmer strike that caused a failure to fire. Also with the 49.3 grain load I had the first shot in the bull then the next two went threw the same hole at 12 o'clock high, I was really concentrating on that 4th shot hoping to put it threw the same as the last two when again I had a failure to fire from the light primmer strike, I'll have to work the trigger over a bit and fix it, but I chamber the round again and boy! it plays with the nerves a little wondering if it is going to go off with this pull of the trigger. So the 4th shot went a little high at the 1:30 position, think it may have put it right in there with the last two but the misfire had me a little....... flinch prone I guess. Maybe I'll have to try it again? but with the 48.7 load results, not sure I need to.

These 6.5 bullets and load development has certainly been an eye opening experience for me. I was very pleased with the results I got today with the CBI barreled 6.5x55, my confidence in the gun and my bullets was high, I felt like if I did my part the bullet would go where it was supposed to. Now to test these bullets at some longer distances. I certainly feel like I have taken my swage dies to a whole new level. Anythign is possible and when you stop learning you are dying.

More to come with the 6.5x55!

Brian
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-24-2015 at 01:39 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast