Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casting Article,, Lots of photo's to help you along.

Boolit Master

Nice article,,,,and very good pictures....as they say pictures are worth a thousand words.
    GLOVES....well truth be told I dont use them either BUT....good safety glasses are a MUST !!!

Boolit Mold
    Very very good! should be a sticky link on here, it answers every question a new caster could have.
    I wish someone had warned ME that the beeswax would catch fire when I started casting RB, I had a bad moment there the first time I smelted and the flames appeared. LOL

Good, now put it where the new shooters/casters will find it and read it
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

I used the strainer from my turkey fryer kit and it works great to remove the steel clips from wheel weights.

Put the wheel weights in the strainer, when they melt, pull the strainer out and it gets almost all the clips in one fell swoop.

Add more wheel weights to the strainer and repeat until the pot is full.

Boolit Master

Great article and excellent photos. Many have said it before but I would loved to have access to that article when I started out. I was so ignorant that I failed to buy handles for my Lee 6 banger and I used it with just the sprue handle and two pairs of gloves. It was hot work. See:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=41217

I consider myself a pretty good caster after 16 years of this foolishness and I have over 60 molds presently. But I will admit that I learned more about castin' boolits from this site in a few years than I had learned in the previous decade of blindly going on my own merry way.

I hope this makes it into a sticky in the classic section where we can point newbies who stumble onto our site. There is much valuable information presented in a simple and graduated way for anybody who wants to learn.

Great job and go pour yourself an adult beverage and enjoy the good you have done.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

props for a great job thanks

Nice article answers alot of questions for beginning casters.
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

Very nicely done! Great info for a person just getting into casting boolits!

Most excellent! Is this article saved someplace where I could print the whole thing out? I want just the article, not all the website jazz all around it. Does anybody have a file of it?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Good article. I added the link to my "What every Newbie Reloader must know" thread on G&G. I hope you don't mind. It started out with just a few links, but it keeps growing.
    do you have a link to said thread?

Boolit Master

Great article and I'll second the admonition to wear gloves.

I've casted for over a decade without gloves but last fall I splattered about an ounce of lead onto my wrist by accident. Half of it landed on my watchband but the rest poured onto my wrist which caused me to develop a blister about the size of a half dollar to instantly develop after I peeled the lead off my wrist. It took about a month for the sore to heal over but the scar is still there to remind me about not wearing gloves while casting.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123