Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Need some advice on 2 problems

Boolit Mold

Need some advice on 2 problems

I need a little advice.

I pulled out my HF powder coat kit and went to do some powder coating for the first time in over a year since I first got the kit. Given the usual fumbling around trying to get back in the groove I encountered two issues. I just need a little advice or suggestions on how best to proceed.

1. I noticed that the high voltage line to the powder coat gun has a short. Apparently at some point I nicked the wire near the point where it winds through the loop in the top of the handle. I could see the insulation had been nicked and was able to see the wire actually arcing at the point of the break. I was able to move it a little and complete the circuit but it need to be repaired. I called HF and they advised me there are no parts available so I am faced with a choice. Fix it or replace it.

I am thinking that by cutting the wire at the break, stripping it back and using a wire splice, I could get it to work. Of course it would have to be properly reinforced and wrapped, but that is not a problem.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or better ideas. I can attempt it myself or I have a friend who it handy with electrical type repairs.

This leads to problem #2.

2. Getting back into the swing of things and problem #1 resulted in some boolits getting an uneven application of powder. The result is a few boolits that have small areas that have a light coating compared to the rest. In some cases there are a few rounds where the lead shows through on the surface on one side.

My question is - can I go ahead and shoot them as is? If I shoot them first and follow up with the rounds that are completely coated will the coated rounds clean up whatever gets deposited by the lightly coated rounds?

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

Get your friend to fix it and remember, black elec. tape is only good for 600 volts. I've not found PC to remove leading but accuracy for pistol still isn't bad.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    For the lightly coated ones, just set them back up on your tray and spray and bake again like you had never done it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, Beagle. That is easy enough to do. I am getting the pc gun fixed in the next day or so and should be back at it by the weekend.

Vendor Sponsor

if the wire is not broken.. just insulation missing I would make a plastic sheath .. Spiral cut and slide on .. like a wire loom
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    If I understand correctly and you can get to the cut it should be an easy fix. I assume this is a multi strand cable I can't tell from looking at mine? So, just cut it through, slide on a couple of lengths of heat shrink tubing on the wire (available at Home Depot or Lows) the second piece a little larger in diameter than the first. This stuff will shrink a lot so don't get too tight of a fit. Trim off a little insulation on both ends of the wire and push the strands of the wire straight into each other and twist enough to get the strands to lay smooth. A dab of flux on the joint helps the solder flow, now solder the joint together. A helper holding the wire together while you solder is a plus. Let the joint cool then slide the first piece of tubing over the joint and heat with a lighter until it shrinks tight. Now repeat with the next larger size piece of tubing going over the repair for a double layer. You should now have a repair good as new.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will have my buddy do the work since he does that sort of thing for a living. Hey man, I am a professional saxophone player. Although I intellectually understand the concepts of the repair I think I will let my buddy do his thing. If anybody could screw it up it would probably be me.

My dad was a master mechanic. When I started to drive we made a deal. I wouldn't try to fix cars and he wouldn't try to play the sax. Lesson learned. Lol!

Boolit Master
    Not a problem, I can fix a wire, but I can't play the sax.

Boolit Mold
    Dropped the pc unit off to my buddy. I can pick it up tomorrow. He works at the gun range where I am an instructor. I plan on paying him since he is a young married guy with a baby and working for low wages. I don't mind helping a young guy working hard to support his family. Besides, it is still cheaper than buying a new one. I will let you know how it works out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    A dab of flux on the joint helps the solder flow, now solder the joint together.
    That's the real way to fix a broken/cut wire.

L. Bottoms

Boolit Mold
    PC gun is fixed. My buddy soldered the wire and discovered another weak spot and soldered that as well. He shrink wrapped both points. Nice job. Should be good to go. Can't do anything until Monday but will definitely give it a go then.

I gave him $20 for his time. He didn't want to take it but I insisted. I told him it was cheaper than buying a new one and I know it was fixed right. Everybody wins.