Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some one needs to make these!!!!! Please I'm in for a 30cal and a 223.

Boolit Master

Some one needs to make these!!!!! Please I'm in for a 30cal and a 223.

I'm surprised these went out of fashion. One of you great machinist could make these and I am the first in line to buy one.

A standard deprimer will remove them and RCBS makes a swage for a press that costs 28 bucks that will remove the large and small primer crimps? What more do you want?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

True a standard deprimer will remove a crimped primer but I ended up breaking three pins on a the last batch of 223's from the range. I just ordered the RCBS pocket swage but would have bought one of these that does both and not having to worry about breaking pins.

Never had any problems depriming crimped 223's with my Lee dies. Strange.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

I'm thinking about getting the universal deprime from Lee. The die set that I have is from Hornady and I've heard that the pins are brittle. Now I know they are. But this would have been great not buying two tools but 1.

Lee deprimer die the pin is held in with a collet - pin will get pushed up out of the die before pin breaks in most cases. In both their regular sizing dies and in universal decapper die. http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-un...-decapping-die

RCBS makes a good pocket swager, as does CH4D. If I recall the RCBS was less likely to damage the case but slower to work. The CH4D is fast but can damage the bases since it holds the cartridge in a shell holder and brings the swage rod into the primer pocket from below. Either one makes short work of doing a couple hundred military bras as far as I can tell.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    True a standard deprimer will remove a crimped primer but I ended up breaking three pins on a the last batch of 223's from the range. I just ordered the RCBS pocket swage but would have bought one of these that does both and not having to worry about breaking pins.
    The only trouble I've ever had depriming any kind of brass, including military crimped, is if the flash hole is off center and the decapping pin doesn't line up. Very common in surplus brass. Now if you have berdan primed brass (which I doubt if its .223) you can't deprime it conventionally.

I'd guess they quit making them because there are FAR better/easier ways to deprime .mil brass and swage the pockets!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have done tons of mil crimped with the RCBS pocket swaging die in a single stage press. Works great and very inexpensive. Why reinvent the wheel?

Use the universal decapper to remove primer then

use the primer pocket swage w/ Dillon Super Swage 600
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Pretty hard to beat that, ^^^^ I am going to have to try it since I have the Dillon tool and the springs.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Use the universal decapper to remove primer then

use the primer pocket swage w/ Dillon Super Swage 600
    Man that was fun to watch! Not sure I can spring for the C-note to buy one but loved watching the redneck engineering that looked like it made swaging pockets almost as much fun as shooting the brass was.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Deprimers ---got a peck of them in all sizes -- Lachmiller used to make them -- also Lee hand loaders come with one in each kit --
    I have an old herter's for swaging large pockets --

I use the Lyman universal depriming die on LC brass and the only time I broke the pin was a loose primer inside the case. I really like the CH4D swager it is fast and is perfectly safe to use when properly set up.
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master

I use the Lee de-primer and the RCBS primer pocket swagger I bought at leas 30 years ago. De-primer works great at a 1/3 the Dillon costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I use the Lee de-primer and the RCBS primer pocket swagger I bought at leas 30 years ago. De-primer works great at a 1/3 the Dillon costs.
    Dillon is a primer pocket swager - NOT a deprimer
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I use a Lee universal deprimer and a Dillon Super Swage for all my crimped brass. Never broke anything. I did start with the RCBS press mounted swage tool set and bent a couple of rods. They replaced them for free and admitted they had been swapping them out pretty often all of a sudden but wouldn't admit to possibly having made a bad batch. Either way it finally stopped bending rods and once I retired it in favor of the Dillon option you couldn't make me use that thing again for a long run. But it does work well on small batches like when I find some range pick up .357 brass that has crimped primer pockets. It also greatly helps with S&B brass.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm. Might be nice to have, but I have no need for one. I have been processing 45 ACP, 9mm, 7.62x51, 5.56, and 30-06 brass for quite a while, and have never broken a decapping pin with my Lee dies, nor had any problems removing a primer pocket crimp with a plain old countersink. Works for me on mebbe 4,000 military once fired brass...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by boho View Post
    I use the Lyman universal depriming die on LC brass and the only time I broke the pin was a loose primer inside the case. I really like the CH4D swager it is fast and is perfectly safe to use when properly set up.
    Last batch of LC out of 250 cases using the CH4D I damaged 2 bases when I was doing the set up and adjustment. Was going a little to fast and not easing up on the right setting, so my fault as much as the tool. I do find having a little bit of Lee case lube rubbed into my fingers and touching the swage tip every so often helps.

Can totally see where a simple counter sink bit on a handle would probably work fine also, as long as it did not bother hand or wrist joints, if it did cause joint pain it would take a power driver of some sort to make it viable for quantity. Hmmm counter sink bit on power screw driver? Would take some care to no over do it but that may be worth taking a look at. I suppose if one has a small drill press and trims case length first you could use a block with a hole as a jig and just adjust the drill press to the right height to radius the pocket with that counter sink bit.

So many options & ideas. Good thing winter is coming so one can futz around trying them out while it is too cold for outdoor shooting.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Never had any problems depriming crimped 223's with my Lee dies. Strange.
    Lee dies, which hold the decapping rod in a collet, are ideal -- the rod is pushed back out before the pin breaks. They also sell a universal decapping die, which is what I use with crimped primers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast