Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman GPR Set Trigger Help

Boolit Mold

Lyman GPR Set Trigger Help

Always wanted a lighter set trigger pull on the GPR .54 but the adjustment screw wouldn't cooperate.

Read on one thread here about getting a longer adjustment screw and - problem solved. So, took my short stock adjustment screw to Home Depot and then a good hardware store.

The hardware store had a screw of the right diameter (I think) but the pitch was wrong, as it would not screw in very far when I brought it home.

Does anyone have know the correct size thread for the adjustment screw?

And where I could get one?

Yup, I could always drill and tap but I would prefer not to go that way.

Thanks for advice.

Jerry

Boolit Master
    It is metric but I do not know off hand the size.

Fly

Jerry, Give Dixon's in PA a call as they sell those screws and can tell you the thread & pitch: http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com

Boolit Master
    Are you sure it is not metric?

Boolit Master
    Any good hardware store would have metric screws in the small sizes. You can easily match a new screw to the original. Holding the two screws up to the light and holding them parallel to one another, see if the threads of the two screws will mesh together perfectly. If they do, you have a match.

This is how you use a thread pitch gauge also. Order a set each, of SAE and metric pitch gauges. They're configured sort of like a miniature Swiss Army knife, each fold out blade has a designated thread pitch on it. Mine cost about seven dollars each. This is not so much a solution to your immediate problem, but to any and all thread pitch identification problems. Everyone should have a set of pitch gauges in his shop or garage-- By the time you'd be able to call someone on the phone to ask for the answer, you'd already have it.

Perma-Banned
    a little time consumin' unless yer first guess is a lucky one but, I generally take whatever screw i'm needin' to tru-value & try nuts on it til I find what fits then all I hafta do is locate the right length in the screw rack.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    a little time consumin' unless yer first guess is a lucky one but, I generally take whatever screw i'm needin' to tru-value & try nuts on it til I find what fits then all I hafta do is locate the right length in the screw rack.
    Best way to do the "what size is this", I do the very same.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Some of the old 8-track tape decks had screws that fit the Lyman set triggers,.... if you have something like that tucked away in your garage.

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with Fastenall. They have the thread guage to get it right.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Buddy
    EVERY GUY who knows what end of the hammer to hold NEEDS one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...O-02/100186831

And for $1.99 (plus applicable tax) it's cheaper than DIRT and you'll use it more times than you can count.

I've used mine to death. Starting to wear off the lettering. Might need to spend 2 bucks again...
    I can not know what I don't know.