Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Article by Terry Weiland

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vacek View Post
    I can't resist this ..... Again, not bad for a hack. Now I will quit the thread. I promise.

Petzal Reviews the Second Edition of Terry Wieland's "Dangerous-Game Rifles"

by David E. Petzal

There are only a few books on guns that are worth a damn, and to make matters worse they are rarely updated* and become less valuable over the years. Such is the case with Warren Page’s The Accurate Rifle (1973) or Jim Carmichel’s The Book of the Rifle(1985)--still eminently worth reading, but now quite dated.
    Happily, this is not true of Terry Weiland’s Wieland's Dangerous-Game Rifles. It appeared in 2006, established itself as the definitive work on the subject, sold out its first printing, and then sold out a second printing. Now, Terry has done a complete revise, which is not only up-to-the minute, but more complete than the original.
    Wieland is a writer of the first magnitude, and his book is an irresistible combination of nifty (and mostly very expensive) machinery, high adventure, gore, lots of excellent photos, and plenty of very sound advice which you can use even if you never hunt anything bigger or more dangerous than whitetail deer. He is careful, scientific, does not rely on hearsay, rumor, or innuendo, and lets you know if he does not know something, which is almost unheard of in this business.
    DGR II also contains one of the best quotes on marksmanship that I’ve ever come across:
    “A good shot is the man who shoots well when he is shooting badly.”—Major J.E.M. Ruffer
    Real-world price is around $29 from Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and the usual suspects. It’s published by Shooting Sportsman Books.

! ! !
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Opened the thread to read a article that isn't even here to find a pee'n match LOL

Rich

Boolit Master
    Did you actually buy a copy and read it?

Quote Originally Posted by vacek View Post
    I can't resist this ..... Again, not bad for a hack. Now I will quit the thread. I promise.

Petzal Reviews the Second Edition of Terry Wieland's "Dangerous-Game Rifles"

by David E. Petzal

There are only a few books on guns that are worth a damn, and to make matters worse they are rarely updated* and become less valuable over the years. Such is the case with Warren Page’s The Accurate Rifle (1973) or Jim Carmichel’s The Book of the Rifle(1985)--still eminently worth reading, but now quite dated.
    Happily, this is not true of Terry Weiland’s Wieland's Dangerous-Game Rifles. It appeared in 2006, established itself as the definitive work on the subject, sold out its first printing, and then sold out a second printing. Now, Terry has done a complete revise, which is not only up-to-the minute, but more complete than the original.
    Wieland is a writer of the first magnitude, and his book is an irresistible combination of nifty (and mostly very expensive) machinery, high adventure, gore, lots of excellent photos, and plenty of very sound advice which you can use even if you never hunt anything bigger or more dangerous than whitetail deer. He is careful, scientific, does not rely on hearsay, rumor, or innuendo, and lets you know if he does not know something, which is almost unheard of in this business.
    DGR II also contains one of the best quotes on marksmanship that I’ve ever come across:
    “A good shot is the man who shoots well when he is shooting badly.”—Major J.E.M. Ruffer
    Real-world price is around $29 from Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and the usual suspects. It’s published by Shooting Sportsman Books.

EDG

My Gawd guys, take a pill! I just am coming down from bouncing off the moon over an order for my Jeep that I've been waiting over a month for, only to find out they didn't even have the right part# and still haven't shipped, and then Time Warner Cable showed up to install our new DVR boxes only to find they brought something entirely different.

These were actual problems to get worked up over!

I enjoy some of Terry's articles. I do learn some things from him. I recently learned that the British Service rifles have left twist barrels to counteract the Coriolis Force in the Northern Hemisphere. I wondered what happened in the Southern Hemisphere? I guess you missed twice as bad. But the fact was confirmed here by way of Trapdoor Sights having Spin Drift compensation built in in 1873! So apparently the more knowledgeable Ballistic Engineers back then did now about this stuff.

I just found out a month or so ago and I've been studying guns for 50+ years.

My point is,,, that not everyone is as knowledgeable as us,,, regarding firearms. But it seems that there are a few people out there who might be better than us...

I figure that if you are allowed to write for a magazine at least someone must feel you know what you're talking about. I've been trying to write for magazines for some time now. I just had an article published on Alloutdoor.com. About a Kel-Tec SU16CA.

I however am not in Terry Wieland's league.

He's actually a Trained Journalist, and I'm nothing more than an ***** with an opinion. (some may have noticed?)

He's actually pretty good and I always look to see what he has to say in each of the Handloader Mags I get. I don't always agree with some of his articles. I didn't agree when he made known that the Canadian Rangers new Rifle should be an M14, I made known that it should be a Ruger Scout and I called my friend at Ruger Sales and put them onto the contract.

That said, I haven't met anyone I completely agree with all the time. That's the beauty of living in a Free Country.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    W.R. .... That is one of the best and enlightening replies I have ever read in a forum thread. My guess is that you are one heck of a writer. I would enjoy reading some of your articles.

Most of what I've written is here at Castboolits. Some is at 4BTSWAPS.com.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    vacek,

In a past life I had to write articles for public consumption and publication as part of my job- so have a little insight about the subject. It's amazing how many experts and literary critics there are on a cast boolit forum isn't it!!!

And so happens I also have some experience with dangerous game hunting and dangerous game rifles. And yes I read Wieland's book DGR II. I've never met him so have no bias about Wieland one way or the other. I don't subscribe to the magazine(s) he writes for but I've read some of his articles. All in all, IMO, he does a fairly good job on the subject matter. Throughout this thread, like W.R.B. posted, I don't understand all the hubbub about Wieland nor the importance of any one's opinion about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12