Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Primer went ka-boom tonight

Boolit Master
    QUOTE:>>>>>So I never want to hold a priming tool in my hand again. Still want to prime and load 50 cases at a time in loading blocks. Need recommendations for new priming tool.

What about the RCBS auto bench priming tool? Not sure how it works, advice?
    [/QUOTE]
    If you want to stay with RCBS, Look at their ram prime unit. That will be my next priming tool when my hand primer bites the big one.

I have used the RCBS bench mount priming tool for more than twenty years. Primed thousands of rifle and pistol cases and never had a problem. IMHO it is the best. Cost wise it is minuscule because I have never had a problem.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Was the primer possibly upside down?
    That would be my guess ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee safety prime on my Lee turret press and find it a good piece of kit.

You can see that the primer is the correct way up and in the event of a primer explosion, all the other primers are safely out of the way.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    MANY thousands of all brands & sizes of primers thru my LEE square hand primers (2 of them). Never a problem. I have even had to crank the lever closed in a soft-jaw vice a couple time to get the primer in (mainly WLP's). I avoid Win primers when ever possible now. All others just slide in with normal pressure, mainly because they are plated and not bare brass I think.

Nothing has ever gone off for me. Accidents do happen. Unfortunately you were up close and personal when it happened. Glad nothing too serious.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Accidents do happen.
    Truth! Always be vigilant.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Sorry about your Kaboom. We have all mashed enough primers to know it can happen to any one any time.
    I have a few different ways to prime.
    For federal primers its 100% one at a time. They are the softest and I only use them in my S&W revolvers.

I use a LEE auto prime 2 the one LEE got sued from.
    I made one upgrade that made it the best primer I have ever used. I added a RCBS plastic insert in the shell holder.
    This prevents any primers from getting wedged along the side.

The other primer I use is a RCBS APS bench top priming tool. It is a very good tool. It keeps all the primers separate from each other and has the insert for the shell holder. The only thing that drives me crazy about it.
    The seating pin floats in a cup. Some times the pin will stick in the hole of the primer strip. If you dont catch it on the down stroke the primer pin drops inside the tool and not back into the cup. So it gets wedged at an angle.
    This results in a complete tear down to reset the primer pin.
    After you tear it down a couple times. You learn to pay attention to the pin to make sure it followed the cup down.
    If you catch it you can just poke it down while the cup is raised. Other than that. great tool.

Boolit Buddy

I've used the Lee and RCBS hand priming tools and had issues with both. I ended up going to the RCBS bench mount priming tool and it works perfect. I've primed thousands of cases in the past couple of years with it and haven't had any issues.

Moderator Emeritus

First, so sorry to hear of your misfortune, and I really hope you heal quickly and completely! Secondly, I have three RCBS auto bench priming tools, and they are ALL I use! Further, Darrel Holland (Holland Shooting Supply) purveys either a super-charged version of the RCBS tool, or, as I did for one of mine, buy just his modification kit. I had had my dad make me a dial-indicator gauge exclusively for gas-gun '06 (e.g., Garands) ever careful re possible raised primer. Checking primers seated on the RCBS tool, using the dial indicator after the fact, shows unbelievable repeat-ability! Again, this tool gets MY vote!!!
    BEST!
    george

Boolit Master
    Sorry about your pain but at least we can learn from your experience. I am going to be more careful from now on.

Another vote for the RCBS bench mount. I bought mine used and abused and it still works so nice! Anything rifle is primed this way. I have a collection of priming fixtures and this is the best. Next best is the old RCBS press mount priming tool. You handle one primer at a time. I like this system very much also. With a really good pair (?) of tweezers it is not that slow either.

Even when using one of my progressives, I usually size/ de-prime /CLEAN and prime before using the progressive part.

Put a Dillon primer pocket swagger on your 'to buy' list. This will save you some headaches.

One last crazy thought. I have slowed down reloading. It's not a race ( for me) to see who can get the highest RPM (reloads per minute) but how much enjoyment I can get from the reloading process. I love working with very high quality tools (everything in the reloading process).

Boolit Man
    Was out in WY for the last week (and finally stopped in at the local ER) so have missed out on the posts. I've come to the conclusion that it isn't forcing / smashing the primer (and didn't happen this time) but as a few other gentlemen have posted it's probably primer dust and maybe static electricity that set them off. I was reading the RCBS instructions and they direct you to thoroughly clean the tool every 500 primers. Something I never did in 20 years using the same tool, but will now.

The RCBS hand primer and probably the new Lee tool seems a lot safer. But as I said earlier, I'm never putting an M-80 with a lit fuse in my hand again. I ordered the RCBS bench primer.

Thanks for all the posts I appreciated it. My only concern now is once my thumb regenerates new skin will I still be able to bend it.

Glad to hear you are OK. Hopefully you will be able to bend your thumb when it heals up.
    I have the RCBS bench primer and it is worlds better than any hand held primer unit. You won't regret that order.

I have literally worn out several of the "round tray" hand priming tools without incident...

This includes primers seated inverted, and more than a few seated sideways...
    I use mostly Remington and CCI primers, but some Win.

I use federals only when I'm loading something that requires a large rifle magnum primer (fed 215)

the one I still have that is serviceable condition sits in a box on the shelf above my loading bench...

I switched over to the lee press mounted tool when they were introduced, They also have round trays.
    I have two of those, one each for small and large primers...

I have never liked handling primers individually...

Moderator Emeritus

Happy both you saw professional medical help, and that you made a great choice vis the RCBS bench primer purchase. I offer NO medical "direction" re regain of flexibility to your thumb, but can relate what's done here -- including my right foot big toe, which a log splitter tongue dropped on: Keep area pristine clean to ward off any possible infection (I used Neosporin); once skin/scar tissue was restored, I kept area moist with Bag Balm Ointment -- a salve purveyed at local farm supply store. I did lose quite a bit of movement in toe from broken bones, but using the bag balm provided amazing results re the skin. Again, I'm no doctor! Just offering what worked (well) for me. BEST wishes!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    There is only ONE way that any primer will ignite ...it has to be hit HARD & FAST to crush the anvils in the cup
    Put these conditions into play using any priming tool and accidental ignition of primers can exist
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    There is only ONE way that any primer will ignite ...it has to be hit HARD & FAST to crush the anvils in the cup
    Put these conditions into play using any priming tool and accidental ignition of primers can exist
    It would be interesting to see exactly how fast you need to hit the primer for it to go off. I recently found out that apparently a proud primer on an AR can go off with just the speed of the bolt going forward from the spring. Yeah, I have a hole in my carpet because of that.

Boolit Bub
    + Forster Coax , don't look back

Boolit Buddy
    For over 40 years I have used A Lyman 310 Tool and the RCBS Rockchucker on press single stage primer seater. I don't like the RCBS setup because it requires me handling the primers. Tried using their accessory primer tubes which helps to eliminate handling primers but loading them are slow. I have the Lee original Auto Prime, the newer Auto Prime XR and the Ergo-Prime.
    I just ordered a new Forster Co-Ax® Primer Seater. I ordered it because (1) The primers stack sideways (2) No additional shell holders required (45 Auto Rim is an exception) (3) shellholder is adjustable which would allow the case to be more perfectly centered over the ram (4) Forester makes good stuff and they also stand behind their products. I looked at the comparable offering from RCBS but that product takes me back to specific shell holders and it is like a 4 stroke engine instead of a 2 stroke like the Forster just to seat one primer.
    I have never had a primer detonate in all my years of reloading but won't say it will never happen. I believe you all have convinced me that the real problem is the primer dust and conditions that would provide a static discharge igniting the primer dust. Therefore ANY product I chose to use in the future will get a GOOD cleaning prior to use and every 300 rounds if prolonged use is anticipated. I will not be retiring my Lee products but I will be using the new Forster for the bulk of my primer seating.

Thanks to everyone in this group for your invaluable insight into this issue. I have learned something today and will be safer tomorrow for it - THANK YOU !!!

Ron H

Boolit Master
    In Ham Radio, we ground everything in multiple places. What say you all for the idea of grounding the primer system?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    In Ham Radio, we ground everything in multiple places. What say you all for the idea of grounding the primer system?
    "You've been a very bad primer system, you're grounded!"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast